HWBOT Community Forums

X79 Express motherboards - problems, BIOSes, impressions ...

OBR

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did somebody test if you can use the 125 or 166 MHz strap and stay at ~100 MHz? I was interested in the performance loss and if it can affect max BCLK in the 100 MHz range, but it's hard to get a clean boot after leaving the UEFI menu. However I managed to run 100 MHz at 166 MHz according to the UEFI strap setting, but couldn't see the heavy performance loss I expected to see. In theory it should reduce e. g. the PCI-E-frequency to ~60 MHz this way, right? So I tend to think it's some kind of a bug and strap settings are bound to the BCLK (range) they're named after. So what's your experience/knowledge about this topic?

I use a P9X79 Deluxe (UEFI 0650) + i7-3960X ES.

Sure http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2100936

All you need is 155 BCLK for 166 strap and that is stable with everything at stock for me. Stable up to about 158-159 and then stability starts to get sketchy at 160 and freeze on 161. But really I spent 20 minutes on this so more could be possible with some work.

When I get a little free time I can post perf difference between 125 and 166 at same clocks

Eldonko - show us 4GHz+ clocks with 160 BCLK, its for maxing locked CPUs ... not for K a nd X

If you are testing on RIVE as well then I guess I just got a good bclk cpu. Doesnt really matter though, sham says perf is worse on 166 not better anyway. For the K CPUs it will be a nightmare finding one with a good IMC, able to run 166 strap, and a hi mhz cap. Ppl going to be buying and selling a ton of those CPUs, playing right into Intel's hands.

great, but ive tested it 150-165 and nothing, my CPus are not capable ... they are from 97 percent which cant handle it ...

I have a UD5 for testing. What bios are you on now? I just flashed f4l. I only have tested it with stock settings, but maybe I could try these things for you. When you say you change voltages, they are different in windows? And the multi is set in bios to 45? This part is a little vage

I have a UD5 for testing. What bios are you on now? I just flashed f4l. I only have tested it with stock settings, but maybe I could try these things for you. When you say you change voltages, they are different in windows? And the multi is set in bios to 45? This part is a little vage

If i change VCC in BIOS for example 1.4V, in windows is still +/- 1.26V. Ocing is little bit tricky here. You HAVE TO Enable EIST and Turbo for manual OCing ... but Intel said it in materials of course.

Edited by OBR

Little weird to have eist enabled while overclocking or even to be able to... Just go for Asus or other :P

this is "normal" for SNB-E! MSI sent this info to reviewers, EIST + Turbo have to be ENABLED when manulal OC. And Asus has it too, but Automaticaly. Look at Asus options in bios in Manual mode :) chioces are grey, but ENABLED!