HWBOT Community Forums

Geforce 6 series cards + Sandy Bridge Issue

der8auer

I tried to bench different cards yesterday but had some problems during the driver installation. The screen turns black (which is normal) but instead of continuing with the installation I can only see a flashing "_". When restarting the system the "_" appears again after the windows loading screen.

This happened with different cards and different drivers. So I'm sure it's a software problem.

Setup:

Maximus 4 Extreme (1904 BIOS)

2x2GB Dominator GT 2000 CL7

Cards I tried:

-Quadro FX 1300

-2x Quadro FX 3400

-2x Geforce 6800 Ultra

Drivers:

all on Windows XP 32

Setup runs without any problems with Geforce 7, 8, 9 and other newer cards. The Problem seems to be with pre Geforce 7 cards.

Does anybody know this issue and maybe the solution? :D

• Crew

as already said, there are problems with pre geforce 7 cards on sb and sometimes x58.

i don't know why. i invested days to get it running, but without success.

but it in the end it doesn't matter so much, because gf6 card don't gain a lot with sb. a high clocked wolfdale should do just fine. ;)

• 1 month later...

RE is massively overhyped, you know ;)

Staying ontopic, I can't remember having any issues whatsoever when I installed and benched a 6600GT (Leadtek) in my SB benchrig (2500K, UD3P, various drivers).

But when I finished benching and just wanted to stress-test the card at stock before selling, I got a screen full of zeros during the driver install. I took as "I've killed it" and since it's no big money, I thrown it away.

Yes, you might as well use a 775 for the 6-series. When I did pretesting on air, going from 4G to 5G SB gave ~1500pts in 01 (mostly in car-tests), ~250pts in 03 (mostly in GT1), ~80pts in 05 (mostly in GT1), ~15pts in 06 (because of CPU test) and no measurable difference in AM3.

http://hwbot.org/submission/2186050_massman_3dmark03_geforce_6600_gt_pci_e_14915_marks

I ran 6600GT with Sandy Bridge too. There was a problem with getting the card to boot though. The fix was to change PCIe slots whenever the card wouldn't boot up again. So:

1) boot, all works fine

2) reboot and monitor stays blank

3) shut down, change pcie lane

4) boot up, should work fine again

Sometimes I had to do this three or four times for the card to boot properly.