HWBOT Community Forums

Suggestion for change in Hardware sharing rules

Hi guys, sorry I might have hit wrong section

As I understand the rules now..:

For 3D benching, no sharring graphics

For 2D benching, no sharring CPU

BUT; I suggest a small add-on:

For multi-card 3D benching, no sharring CPU.

Obviously 2x HD4870X2, 3x HD5870, 2x HD5970 and other graphics is way too powerful to limit a benchmark ran at default (1024 or 1280), one needs an insanely fast chip to feed such powerful graphics.... Therefore CPU being the limitatition; I suggest its not allowed to share.

Hope you guys like my suggestion!

PS: Massman, you still have to change my title to DeusExP55 : - P

• 3 weeks later...

Personally I'd say the most fair way to bench would be with your own CPU for 3D, with the massive CPU dependance of today's tests. However, the current sharing rules were made so that people wouldn't have to spend a million bucks to be able to compete, and with Gulftown coming that will be the case if it's not allowed for more benchers to use the same CPU.

Yes, it can be abused, but let's hope people use some common sense;) Nothing wrong with sharing a golden chip with a couple of folks, but to pass it around the whole team is not the intention here.

Personally I'd say the most fair way to bench would be with your own CPU for 3D

That would be nice mate :rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with sharing a golden chip with a couple of folks, but to pass it around the whole team is not the intention here.

not sure if that's so cool but the rules are rules :)

Edited by 71proste

A great problem IMO is the fact, that hardware circulates in forum marketplaces and as a buyer you can`t judge if the specific hardware was already used for hwbot or not. If you buy stuff from a team mate and he hasn`t already used the hardware for hwbot (e.g. daily PC only) it can still happen, that the first owner (that did sell the stuff to your team mate) used the component for hwbot.

I`m not even talking about Ebay/OCbay, because it`s even harder to find out the history of the hardware, you would like to buy.