HWBOT Community Forums

Rev3 Up and Running - Complaints, Ideas, Ramblings, Comments ... but no bugs

That graduation did not represent the effort one had to put into benching. Why should we be handing out points for free?

At the Moment you handing out Points for free... Rank 200 become 0,1 Points and Rank 400 also. Rank 200 is a Avarage Bencher with a bad luck with this hardware and Rank 400 is a disinteresed Noob, bench with Standard Cooler on a old hard disk with a 5 years old and virus contaminated OS on it. :-)

When i start at HWbot i love it to fight me up from Rank 17 to 16... and then to 15... and with a little bit luck (and a lot of tuning) im under the Top 5. Now i have no motivation to bench hour and hour for a better Rank. Equal how many hours i bench, how many Settings i make, it brings me 0,1 Points. That's the Problem.

At the moment it looks like "billion of Points for the rich Top 10 benchers and a kick in the ass for the Mob.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's fair enough for me and that's what I wanted to hear from you.....a simple "no" and nothing more..... ;):)

EDIT: I've found a "bug"..... :D

Ex. When someone plays with SINGLE card and he get's the No1 place and 150points (ex.), and then he plays with DUAL cards (etc), he will get 0points for his other benchies with more cards on the same bench BUT he "cuts off" someone else's points for the DUAL card category....

So the second bencher will NOT get the MAXIMUM for the DUAL card category BUT the SECOND measurement....NOT FAIR if you ask me..... ;)

And what of the alternative?

Say that you take #1 in 2 card 01, and Vince takes it in single card 01. Then what? If you decide to go beat him in single card 01, you end up being 1st in both categories, but since you don't want people to get "cut" by that, Vince still ends up being counted as #1 in single gpu, even though you passed him. Then extend that to every bench. Say that in every single bench, you're in 1st for both single and dual in all benches, 03/05/06/AM3/Vantage, and he's in 2nd for all of them. Since you can't "cut" him down though, he still gets counted as #1 in all of them, and you get counted as #1 in all of them. No matter how many times you beat him, he's still #1, and no matter how many times he beats you, you're still #1. How would that make sense?

In the current system, in order to get counted as #1, you really have to be #1, and that's how it should be.

the rev 3 destroy the easy way to earn fast points.

lol, as if that's a bad thing.

Edited by Gautam

It's still easy to get points now, but it's totally without the spirit of overclocking. Get any Q6600 and E8500 under SS/Dice and you can make 50 points each with very avarge scores. While someone benching every single socket 478/A processor and spending days at getting better results in benchmarks gets some just sensless decimals of points. And in the meantime you are making low budget contest, don't be hipocrisy.

Yes. Go back to the example I've given ... I'm assuming an equal amount of financial input. You agreed with me that skill/effort should be awarded more than money.

Yea i totally agree on this! So unpopular hardware should also be more rewarded. You also need skill to bench cards with only 20 results and fight for top 5.

At the Moment you handing out Points for free... Rank 200 become 0,1 Points and Rank 400 also. Rank 200 is a Avarage Bencher with a bad luck with this hardware and Rank 400 is a disinteresed Noob, bench with Standard Cooler on a old hard disk with a 5 years old and virus contaminated OS on it. :-)

Jep! Rewarding only top 100 would be enough... everything more is just "points 4 free"

At the moment it looks like "billion of Points for the rich Top 10 benchers and a kick in the ass for the Mob.

Incorrect. However, you will have to look further than your profile to see where it's not thát difficult to gather points. Easy points have been reduced, skill/effort-points have been increased.

FYI, I have found over 650 hardware rankings with 30 participating users or more. That means that you only need to be 15th to get >0.2p, or 10th >1p. If you're just 10th in half of those categories, you already have 300+ hardware points. And being 10th isn't that difficult if you put a bit of effort into benching.

And in the meantime you are making low budget contest, don't be hipocrisy.

I'm sorry, but this comment just doesn't make sense.

- If we only think about low-end = BAD

- If we only think about high-end = BAD

- If we don't award high-competitive rankings = BAD

- If we don't award low-competitive rankings = BAD

- If we add variance = BAD

Sometimes people complain just to complain ...

Massman i rly don't understand why you didn't keep the points of unpopular Hardware from rev2 :S Why not 2p for 1st - 1,5 for 2nd and so on?

Because we have noticed that A LOT of those benchmarks are run very close to stock frequency. I'm not saying that there's never skill involved, but in a lot of categories you could get into the top-3 with very small effort.

In every competition, the winner takes home the big prize, but in overclocking competition everyone should feel like a winner and get huge reward ...

Yes i understand your point. But the benchers who only benched unpopular hardware in the past now feel like "kicked in the ass" :/

Like Lippokratis of your Team. Nearly had 1100 hwboints and now just 500. Thats a slap in the face...

They also spend time and money in their benches even if they just got 1p for it. Now its only 0,1.

Like Lippokratis of your Team. Nearly had 1100 hwboints and now just 500. Thats a slap in the face...

They also spend time and money in their benches even if they just got 1p for it. Now its only 0,1.

Hm. Are you guys aware that Revision 3 also fixed some major flaws in the Rev2 hardware weight calculation?

In the 3D SLI/CF categories, the weight was calculated based on the competition in the single card category and not the competition in the multi card ranking. This was a flaw in the code that had gone unnoticed for a very long time and was discovered a few weeks before designing rev3.

Points that have dropped from 3D multi-gpu categories are affected by both the bugfix and the new revision. It may seem as 1 issue, but it was in fact 2 issues.

Theres...what.. 48 pages in this BUG thread... how many pages/posts are dedicated to if people like Rev3 or not?

Like rev 3? Dont like Rev3? Please take it to another thread.. let HWB mods + admin see the ACCIDENTAL bugs that are present and let those be discussed + sorted

Because we have noticed that A LOT of those benchmarks are run very close to stock cooling. I'm not saying that there's never skill involved, but in a lot of categories you could get into the top-3 with very small effort.

In every competition, the winner takes home the big prize, but in overclocking competition everyone should feel like a winner and get huge reward ...

Becasue everyone should feel rewarded for his work and like a winner you get more points more scores you leave behind....So I think its no problem to give the categories with just 10 Scores 2P Points and 1.8, 1.6 and so on...

Like der8auer said its a slap in the face....

I'm sorry, but this comment just doesn't make sense.

- If we only think about low-end = BAD

- If we only think about high-end = BAD

- If we don't award high-competitive rankings = BAD

- If we don't award low-competitive rankings = BAD

- If we add variance = BAD

Sometimes people complain just to complain ...

I really like the idea of increasing amount of points in popular hardware, it was good move, but in my opinion decreasing amount of points in non-popular hardware is sensless. Bring back point system for low-end from rev.2 (2pts for 1st etc.) and keep the rest of update as it is and it gonna be really nice.

Hm. Are you guys aware that Revision 3 also fixed some major flaws in the Rev2 hardware weight calculation?

In the 3D SLI/CF categories, the weight was calculated based on the competition in the single card category and not the competition in the multi card ranking. This was a flaw in the code that had gone unnoticed for a very long time and was discovered a few weeks before designing rev3.

Points that have dropped from 3D multi-gpu categories are affected by both the bugfix and the new revision. It may seem as 1 issue, but it was in fact 2 issues.

Im not against the whole rev3. It just seems very unbalanced now...

I also like the improvements but i think the new rule for unpopular hardware is a step backwards. The rest is a great work. And thanks for your time diskussing here with us!!!!

like a winner you get more points more scores you leave behind...

Since when is the winner whoever submitted most scores? The winner is the person who manages to beat all the competitors. The more competitors, the more amazing the victory is.

Winner of local soccer-tournament < Winner of champions league

Since when is the winner whoever submitted most scores? The winner is the person who manages to beat all the competitors. The more competitors, the more amazing the victory is.

You got me wrong there...I wanted to say that if there are more competitors for example 50 and you made it to be #1 you should be rewarded more if they are just 10 competitors. Just like it was and it today is but the gap shouldn´t be so great.

Yeah, but avarge position in the champions league is not better (or is at least comparable) than winning country championship + few other local cups, as it is actually with avarge Q6600/E8500 scores vs WRs made on all s478/A/370/<put any socket older than 775 in here> CPUs.

Guest Autokiller677
no one?

There's a bug. I can't see anything.

I care about the users who have only unpopular hardware to bench... they are kind of discriminated as already said. As Alriin already said: For example Lippokratis spent lots time to bench his hardware and in fact it was not easy to get 1k+ Hwpoints. And if you look his scores you will see he usually ocerclocked and did not bench at stock. rev3 is not bad but needs some fixes to get fair and motivating for all of us and not only for the 1337-benchers.

I would not say that it was easier in rev2 to grind points. But now benching a 8800 gt u get more points for nearly every score than benching unpopular hw an get 5 medals. Is this fair? I'd say no and it seems like I am not alone with my opinion.

Absolutly signed. Couldn't have said it better.

If I look at my scores and at the rankings of popular hardware...

If I had put the time I needed for getting my 17 points with unpopular hardware in benchmarking popular hardware, I'd have a multiple of my 17 points.

Edited by Autokiller677

What about a combination of rev3 and rev2? For 20 or less results the rev2-Point-System and everything above using the new system.

So everything would be fine. Popular hardware will be rewarded much and unpopular also a little bit but not too less....

Edited by der8auer