HWBOT Community Forums

What's this CPU maffia thing about?

Massman

Wow Marc I have seen you writing questionable things over the years and usually do not take it serious or personal.

This time you crossed the line, writing complete BS and trying to get a vendor in bad light.

And it is my favourite vendor so I need to support Petri on that.

ASUS has never done any binning themselves in Europe as far as I know. The usual way they get some chips to overclockers is ONLY for events and even then the chips are bought from Intel, not pre-tested but usually (can only speak for ASUS Germany) they are completely untested when they get in our hands. Also the amount is between 3-5 of which we only keep the best 1 or 2 for the shows and further results.

Either you get lucky (legendary GC 975XE...) or end up with an average chip like everyone (all SB we got for cebit last year have been total crap, we needed to work with our own (!!!) chips, 3960X ES in december were not that good and we couldn't keep them, today I have my own retail from my OWN money)

So now where is any strong binning or buying done by ASUS?!

Unless you have hard proof (e.g. a leaked ASUS-bill about 100 CPUs would do the job) stop posting crap you heard from a friend of your mother of whiches father knows an uncle which was related with massman's mother in the past which has a cousin in belgium which is married with the non-existent first wife of leeghoofd who are having a son together who heard stories...

Hmm... Chris?

First of all; I do not think any vendor, motherboard, ram, graphics etc. buys ES from Intel, but request chips, but I a, not fully ajour on this one, but 99% certain though.. Especially since Intel reserves the right for alot of things, such as vendors may under no circumstances make a NDA with powerusers or media and ship ES cpu with motherboard prior to NDA is lifted from Intel. (which we all know happens quite often)

Second of, I am not suggesting binning in quantity of 100's, but rather 25. However, 25 000 Euro chips with the purpose of binning, is CPU mafia methods in my book, we might have different point of view on this, but, that is my opinion.

Before or after shiping him to Taïwan ? :P

About expected WRs broken by our mascotte, I bet over 1month of my pay ^^ (near half of the inatial bet lol)

@Marc: like we use to say in my country: "Tu donnes vraiment le bâton pour te faire battre l'ami" xD

It get's critical when a vendor bins for his poweruser, send them chips and tell them "get us the records"....

What's the difference between:

- "I have a good CPU and someone in the office can bench it"

- "I have a good CPU and no one in the office can bench it, so I'll ask someone else to do it"

No difference. Just marketing.

I have an idea. Let's all collectively form a mafia and raise 25k euros worth of ivy bridge cpu's to send straight to Marc and see how many records he can break.

Before or after NDA lifts ?

Before or after shiping him to Taïwan ? :P

About expected WRs broken by our mascotte, I bet over 1month of my pay ^^ (near half of the inatial bet lol)

@Marc: like we use to say in my country: "Tu donnes vraiment le bâton pour te faire battre l'ami" xD

Nice. You make 12.5K a month? You must be a banker!

Just a lier my friend :D If so, I would'nt be that far in ranking for sure...

What's the difference between:

- "I have a good CPU and someone in the office can bench it"

- "I have a good CPU and no one in the office can bench it, so I'll ask someone else to do it"

My CPU is'nt at my office :(