HWBOT Community Forums

20x Core i7 3770K IMC overclocking test on air

Massman

That's for Gigabyte to decide on how they recognise their kits. Shouldn't have to go around fiddling with settings 99.99% of people don't understand. Set the strap and go - if the board works then great, if not then too bad, really. I do sense the folly of saying that on an OC forum, but as I review from the perspective of the 'normal enthusiast' user, we're lucky XMP is even set sometimes, let alone XMP then strap as required.

Wouldn't it be your task, as reviewer, to point out to this 'normal enthusiast user' that it's not a problem to run at a certain memory frequency as long as they change this one subtiming? Isn't it the task of a reviewer to make sure the reader is informed about this?

I agree that boards should work out-of-the box, with 'work' defined both in terms of overclocking capability ("Can it reach this frequency?") as well as performance ("Is it performing well?"). It's easy to reach a high frequency if you cripple the subtimings by default, but does that make the board an outstanding memory overclocker for the normal enthusiast user?

Imho, a reviewer should at least point out there is a workaround for a certain issue. If not, the reader is not informed correctly.

Wouldn't it be your task, as reviewer, to point out to this 'normal enthusiast user' that it's not a problem to run at a certain memory frequency as long as they change this one subtiming? Isn't it the task of a reviewer to make sure the reader is informed about this?

If I set the strap and it works, it works. If I have to go fishing for several hours to find if the next strap up works, where does it end? Do I up another strap, then see if that works too if I loosen a bit here, a bit there? Before you know it, you end up with 70hours of 'work' time gone and you don't get a penny extra if you work on a freelance basis. Prevail as an enthusiast vs. work to feed yourself is always a tough battle.

I agree that boards should work out-of-the box, with 'work' defined both in terms of overclocking capability ("Can it reach this frequency?") as well as performance ("Is it performing well?"). It's easy to reach a high frequency if you cripple the subtimings by default, but does that make the board an outstanding memory overclocker for the normal enthusiast user?

'Normal enthusiast' is a very obscure term in itself. Readership for me is mostly 'I know how to build a PC, perhaps update a BIOS', but the buck stops there for the majority of people. Sure, the ones that comment on the review are more often than not the more knowledgeable, but as always they could represent the vast minority of the readership.

Imho, a reviewer should at least point out there is a workaround for a certain issue. If not, the reader is not informed correctly.

If there is a simple fix that is advertised by the company (or at least distributed), then yes it gets included. I wholeheartedly agree that manufacturers have to be aggressive, and with the popular kits they really do fine tune it in with detail rather than SPD. They are more than welcome to do that. Reality is that the vast majority of regular users do not update the BIOS either, to which I sometimes come to blows with manufacturers when it comes to updating BIOSes.

(For ROG/OC/gaming boards then yes, if it arrived with pre-release BIOS, then I update to the latest. If a retail sample arrives, I'll leave the BIOS as is and work with that, based on the readership of the website.)

But truth be told, each motherboard manufacturer has preferred memory vendors. Corsair and Kingston work with everyone because they have the majority of channel sales. GSkill is getting there in the enthusiast segment, but it is up to the motherboard manufacturers to prioritise who gets research time.

IMO a company shouldn't have any negative comments for tuning their BIOS tight. There's a balance between performance tuning and compatability tuning..... the company decides which is more important.
So you can't criticise a memory maker for flashing DDR3-2400 rated memory with SPD/XMP that set subs so tight that they can't possibly work? (the case with recent Kingston mems)

• 2 weeks later...

some info about L221Bxxx Malaysia now i thing this batch good IMC because i checking from my forums from three guys

with same batch all easy boot for 2800MHz ram ratio and can go over 2900+ too but for core clock i think still bad :( it still

didn't 5GHz by air as well

some result from my L221B386

Spi32M @ 2939MHz :D

pi32_ares_2939.png

Lightweight LinX :D

twk_2939.8.png