HWBOT Community Forums

Clarification in PCMark'05 about Tweaks // Tricks allowed

Sweet

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, now I gotta find out how to check cluster size....

Note - when you create a partition (non-bootable) you have the option to set the cluster size for the partition - I'm pretty sure this is different than the HDD sector size.

On rotating storage I think the 512 sector size is hard coded - not so now for many controller/SSD combinations, pci-e drives.

Can a check for this be added to the wrapper? - again not partition cluster but drive sector needs to be 512.

Edited by SteveRo

Fully agree, Intel allow Driver based no change of Cluster Size and no Caching options. AMD Raid expert allowes both in Driver, so there is for me an huge difference. With RST you cant score 650 gen usage and 9G VS, on AMD you can change these settings to trick PCM to believe it runs faster...

Mr. Moose, I have not used amd raid expert that much, can you adjust the amount of system memory used by the controller? If it is adjustable, what is the range?

Note - when you create a partition (non-bootable) you have the option to set the cluster size for the partition - I'm pretty sure this is different than the HDD sector size.

On rotating storage I think the 512 sector size is hard coded - not so now for many controller/SSD combinations, pci-e drives.

Can a check for this be added to the wrapper? - again not partition cluster but drive sector needs to be 512.

1. I stand corrected, the misused terms in above posts confused me.

2. Yes.

3. Ofc.

Mr. Moose, I have not used amd raid expert that much, can you adjust the amount of system memory used by the controller? If it is adjustable, what is the range?

Have not looked at exactly usage, but no matter if 2,4 or more System memory.With right settings and Hdd sector size you get 9G VS+ no matter wich CPU;) gen usage is allost the same between 600-700.

I vote for ban hdd sector size, getting back this bug to the Land of Rocks :P

• Crew
Again, I agree that we should NOT try to change who won what in previous competitions but I believe that tricking the benchmark in this way should not be allowed and points (including previous points) should not be awarded for using it.

Have not looked at exactly usage, but no matter if 2,4 or more System memory.With right settings and Hdd sector size you get 9G VS+ no matter wich CPU gen usage is allost the same between 600-700

Thats is the problem, Amd raid eXpert is more like ramcaching that Rst, or i'm worng ?

FYI. I never used amd raid expert.

Edited by Sweet

Thats is the problem, Amd raid eXpert is more like ramcaching that Rst, or i'm worng ?

FYI. I never used amd raid expert.

I haven't used amd raid expert that much either.

The remaining question regarding amd raid expert is can you adjust the amount of system memory used by the amd disk controller and if you can how much?

I think the main issue with raid expert (that we know of) is the use of amd raid expert to set a HDD sector size greater than 512.

Edited by SteveRo

• Crew

Guys I'm fully agree with this ( use only sector side 512 in rst and raid expert ), but what about software like supercache or ramdik ?, thats software are like rst and raidexpert with cache, and do the same.

Yes i know, thas are software no drivers, but are not detectable

Edited by Sweet

• Crew

Moose plz stop reporting my scores, they are getting removed on monday evening earliest, Pro is aware why. Plus he knows we used flash2 desktop; all conform the CN thread at that moment for the Team cup. Secondly I want to know before removing them scores what wil happen to the points we got accredited as TEAM...

This benchmark is such a joke, looking at your current scores Moose with a 10-20K gap on the rest, ofcourse all according the rules, yeah right :P

I vote for no more PCMark05 submissions till Geniebens wrapper pops up...

Edited by Leeghoofd
typo

You cant set the memory wich RAID expert used.

Problem is the sector size with this Tool.

Based on this I think the use of amd raid expert (when 512 sector size is used) is perfectly legal and probably not that much different than using irst for intel based boards.

• Crew

Latest submitted scores are again a joke to me, the benchmark is not regaining it's credibility if you still achieve a 10-20K difference between the top 3...this with just two SSD's in RAID...

Edited by Leeghoofd

Latest submitted scores are again a joke to me, the benchmark is not regaining it's credibility if you still achieve a 10-20K difference between the top 3...this with just two SSD's in RAID...

Not all are out of line, Moose's intel submits all look good to me as does Denis's latest 4x.

When the decision to not allow non-512's is made - Moose will do the right thing. :)

• Crew

Please show me this sub. and why ?

We will review them if necessary we see with Pro.

No submissions in Pcmark until wrapper are ready, is a very hard desicion, but if we prove something dirty, we will, of course

GEN this weekend is working very hard with the wrapper :)

Maybe We may prohibit any submission with ramcache, like rst - amd raid eXpert or any software that do this, can be from now on or in the entirety of the base, regardless of the date

I think Steve are right , only allowed, rst an amd r expert with 512 sector side "Only"

Edited by Sweet

I think Steve are right , only allowed, rst an amd r expert with 512 sector side "Only"

Completely concur.

Also, I recommend we do not preclude folks with pcie controllers (areca, lsi, high point, ...) or pcie SSDs - these should be allowed, provided they all keep sector size to 512. :)

That sounds nice:) only forbid sector size change. Completly ban RST and raid expert is an bad idea not anybody has an raid card;) So non areca benchers must have a chance too, agree: )

@Leeghoft, please link submits you do not agree we can discuss it my friend, no problem;)