HWBOT Community Forums

Clarification in PCMark'05 about Tweaks // Tricks allowed

Sweet

@Boranti, maybee you first delete your cheated runs before discuss :P

Like 8core ranking, lol...

At the time, the scores were valid and we've been waiting for formal clarification of what tweaks are valid or not. They will be going in due course, don't you worry.

Or maybe people being charged of crimes shouldn't be allowed to vote by your logic? Everyone still gets a voice, this is still an act in motion. I've been asking for a list of yes/no rather than the 'just use your head' arguement, because there will always be different interpretations (or misunderstandings about what certain programs do), but nothing came out in 24-48 hr so I decided to write my own. Again if there is anything to add to that list, please do so.

PS I'm all for the results.txt file being shown in all submissions from now on.

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Crew

@borandi

Tonight I edit the first post of this thread and add the list, as the comments of Pro

Edit: and this

Since October 24, 2012 -In all submission of PcMark05, must be all the subtests run with each final results, so, use result .txt file in the screen like a ORB link, both are valid.

Always on the screen or the ORB link, everyone should be able to see the final score of each subtest. Mandatory

For Top 20 Global link ORB is Mandatory

Edited by Sweet

I think futuremark link required for all top 20 (global or H/W) is a great idea. If we have that I reco we not require results.txt. Futuremark link or results.txt required for ALL submissions. Wadaya think?

Wrapper includes subtest scores inside screenshot.

• Crew
I think futuremark link required for all top 20 (global or H/W) is a great idea. If we have that I reco we not require results.txt. Futuremark link or results.txt required for ALL submissions. Wadaya think?

Yes Steve Please Can you write correctly this in order that I edit the first post ? or any Guy with good writing in English ?

In spanish few ones are going to understand it :D

Thanks so much :)

Wrapper includes subtest scores inside screenshot.

Better , much better, Meanwhile, the previous stays in functions from this night, night for me, until the wrapper are ready.

Thanks by your clarification GEN, so shortly we will have unless problem

Edit:

Updated First post,

Edited by Sweet

nice idea steve.

One can do also double screen showing what's under in 2nd subtest ( I mind topdog did it often ) it's important to show all subtests

I think this should be applied 1st at all on NEW submission... maybe people who made old submissions didn't thinked so.

Nice idea also for virus scan on intel :)

Yes Steve Please Can you write correctly this in order that I edit the first post ? or any Guy with good writing in English ?

In spanish few ones are going to understand it :D

Thanks so much :)

Better , much better, Meanwhile, the previous stays in functions from this night, night for me, until the wrapper are ready.

Thanks by your clarification GEN, so shortly we will have unless problem

Edit:

Updated First post,

ok I'll take a crack at verbiage for the additional screen shot requirement, note - might not be needed if the wrapper includes this. -

1. "Futuremark link required for all top 20 submissions either global or hardware.

2. For all non-top 20 submissions either Futuremark link or Pcm05 Results.txt required via screen shot."

(This is a 1st cut, I'm sure others can improve on this).

• Crew
Sweet - in the list of OK/NO, you have put video encoding as no. But Pro said:

Sorry, my faul, correct now :o

Edit:

completely updated the first post

http://www.hwbot.org/forum/showthread.php?t=59009

Thanks to SteveRo - borandi - Pro - Leeghoofd - Moose - zafiropo and GENiEBEN by your help :ws:

Ps: and till tomorrow, my wife call me for dinner

Edited by Sweet

• Crew
Thanks for your input! I agree with most of what you say, but there are conflicting statements that I would like to clear:

Much like PowerToy, all F2D does is change the registry. Albeit on the fly like other additional tools you mention.

But *anything that changes the size of the windows is illegal*. EVEN IF it can be done by the registry.

registry tweaks are always allowed by default, thats the general unwritten rule, but some have been deemed to be disallowed over the years because they decieve the benchmark too much, such as mipmap

i think we need to be understanding here, there can be no clear cut, one size fits all rule for benchmarking, there will always be anomolies,

lets take LOD for example, registry based or file based in the latest nvidia drivers, it DOES impact the visuals of the benchmark and does impact the end score, but it has been universally acccepted as OK,

this transparent window test, the whole point of the test is to see how fast those windows move across the screen, so by resizing or minimizing the windows you are decieving the benchmark and it does have a significant impact on the score, hence this is disallowed

i think we need to keep in perspective here, like any "sport", rules arnt just there to set a solid line that can NEVER be changed, rules are also there to be changed over the lifetime of the sport to keep things fair for all involved,

mate you have proven my point, by making that list of what is allowed/disallowed and answering nearly everything correctly,

most benchers are smart, they can work out if something is allowed in the benchmark based on the two key rules, if not, we will be here to answer grey areas, but please don't expect instant answers, we/i want to do this right and at times that will mean lengthy discussions between hwbot staff

• Crew

oh and of course, the ie9 css is not allowed, there is really no difference between replacing the web files and doing that CSS,

the benchmark is no longer rendering the data that it was designed to render, hence skewing the results,

so just to clarify IE9 CSS is not allowed

• Crew
oh and of course, the ie9 css is not allowed, there is really no difference between replacing the web files and doing that CSS,

the benchmark is no longer rendering the data that it was designed to render, hence skewing the results,

Done , add in the first post :)

Thanks for clearing this up pro:)

So lets play pcm05 in an normal way again Guys:)

Hope really to see more people coming back;)