HWBOT Community Forums

Clarification in PCMark'05 about Tweaks // Tricks allowed

Sweet

Not by now, maybe in the future, wait a few days by this. we being defined at this time the massive increase in this subtest (transp win)

We are defining the many gray areas that have the PCMark, which is totally unsafe.

But if you consider that a hack usstes to improve the final result (which is not allowed) and also the final score is very bulky for hardware that you have used, better remove.

You SteveRo and I.M.O.G like S_A_V and anothers guys who were the best in this benchmark, by the hardware used, know what is right or wrong. you are the real Master of PCMark. You were the ones who always defended the continuation of this benchmark

You know much more than me on this topic (always inside overclocking) I've learned to run this benchmark with cold, and another stuff, thanks to you, I.M.O.G and S_A_V :)

Btw. we have removed the scores from the day 19.10.2012 which use the Text edit Tweak (cheat with script w/ .rft file in blanck ) only, try other than validated those ridiculous scores that were uploaded since that day, scores greater than 100,000 marks with microprocessor stock. That's totally ridiculous and difficult to defend by those who use the tweaks to trick overclockers.

Good morning Mr. Sweet, The TW tweak that I was using was using non-OS s/w to minimize the transp. windows. Is this an illegal tweak? Not sure. All of my submissions since 09May used this tweak and I will delete them when so directed.

edit - PM'd Master Pro with the tweak for his assessment.

Edited by SteveRo

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you talk to the guy that bought my Areca 1882IX and 5x maxiops to give it back to me for the $1500 I sold it for? Ya, I took a $1K loss on that when the tweaks got crazy and I bailed on PCM05. :D

I'm kidding about getting it back. The clarification is good, and I think it will give PCM05 a fighting chance.

I feel your pain, I've sold four of my acards - can someone talk to the buyers and get them back for me? Oh, well. :)

• Crew

Steve what you were doing was the same as me and many others but theres no doubt that it's secirving the benchmark into giving a higher score by minimizing the windows

I know for a fact that there are much nastier TW window tweaks but it is outside hwbot general rules do it must be removed

Just do you guys know we will target the big obvious things first and progressively make our way down, but if you feel your own score is out of line save us the trouble and remove yourself

Very good Mr. Pro, understood, I will inform my teammates and delete all my submissions that have used this tweak, thanks again for doing this for us.

edit - I have deleted all of my submissions that used this tweak (10 total). I now have no pcm05 submissions since 09May.

Edited by SteveRo

• Crew

Put the two, powered by the AMD 12.8 raid driver at zero points, awaiting moderation...

Massman has all the test results, conclusion : it is all in the format of the RAID setup... so if you can achieve it like Steve previously mentioned, with another soft it becomes sort of legal then ?

• Crew
Good morning Mr. Sweet

Good morning (or afternoon for you Steve)

Well ... Pro ​​old Master of PCMark, more correctly can answer all questions, and maybe I (like overclocker or almost) to try to find out as you do for great scores, it's like turning back the clock and start squeezing Hardware.

Again, all together will do overclock With This benchmark, I have lucky because you and I.M.O.G have sold your acards :)

Welcome Pro at this thread !!!

Edited by Sweet

Put the two, powered by the AMD 12.8 raid driver at zero points, awaiting moderation...

Massman has all the test results, conclusion : it is all in the format of the RAID setup... so if you can achieve it like Steve previously mentioned, with another soft it becomes sort of legal then ?

Good Morning Master Leeghoofd - also for Mister's Pro and Sweet,

I don't believe changing HDD sector size should be legal because it tricks the pcm05 benchmark into thinking the HDD subtests ran faster than it really did.

The amd raid expert s/w isn't the only way to do this, it can be done easily with any setup amd or intel.

To do this requires only one ssd - easy to get 9500+MB/s on just about anything except for 1x core - simply by increasing the drive sector size.

For this reason I think we should NOT allow it.

Edited by SteveRo

• Crew

That's exactly my point Steve, if you format via the proposed 512 nothing happens... with 1-2-4K I saw some nice speed improvements in parts of some synthetic benchmarks, ofcourse nothing goes bezerk as PCM05.

Conclusion in fact, it's not the RAID 12.8 that is bugged, it's PCMark05 that craps out when an out of the ordinary format is choosen... so in that point Moose's assumption is not correct.

Proposition for future PCM05 submissions : MUST include a verification link...

PS: spare the master Leeghoofd Steve :P I'm a complete nOOb at this game and even accused a long time ago some moderators of cheating :P ( Sorry mista Trevaskis, James still wants to kick butt me )

Edited by Leeghoofd

Thanks for clearing all up!!!

I hope too, that now more people come back to this lovely Benchmark:)

Also its an very good thing to have an experienced mod that will moderate it neutral!

I think ORB Link should be must have for each top 20 global now, like it was in the past:)

• Crew
I think ORB Link should be must have for each top 20 global now, like it was in the past

And now too, any Global Top 20 must have a link thats ORB is mandatory, always.

Proposition for future PCM05 submissions : MUST include a verification link...

Imho

Is necessary if you can see all subtest on screen ?

But not a bad idea, it costs nothing to put the link to the ORB in all submissions of PcMark

I vote for all submissions a link Moose, just to allow easier moderating...

Yes sure :D

okay guys let me weigh in on this,

Thanks for your input! I agree with most of what you say, but there are conflicting statements that I would like to clear:

FD2 as a program is totally allowed, but using it to manipulate the window size or minimize windows is not allowed, similarly using a script to do this is not allowed as it breaks the "benchmark percieved speed rule"

BUT as with any benchmark, if you can do it via control panel such as personalization or registry then it SHOULD be allowed

so take TW for example, if you can make the windows really small and change the text type in control panel then that is legal,

Much like PowerToy, all F2D does is change the registry. Albeit on the fly like other additional tools you mention.

But *anything that changes the size of the windows is illegal*. EVEN IF it can be done by the registry.

Taken in isolation and out of context, several of those comments could justify one or the other.

Then again, if someone programs into the registry to reduce the window size by 5% for a 5% boost (assuming it's linear), then that will be hard to spot.

So Tweaks:

Bob80's - YES

Mouse Movement - YES

Resizing windows (F2D or Registry) - NO

IE Settings - YES

AMD RaidXpert - YES (for now, new decision pending, may be retroactively removed)

Changing Codecs in the directory - NO

Changing Codecs outside the directory - ?

Script to change files for Web Pages - NO

Script to change files for Text Edit - NO

D3DOverrider - YES

Video Encoding via registry - YES

LOD - YES

Other registry tweaks - TO BE DISCUSSED BY ADMINS

Scripts to change drive letters - YES

Scripts to change CPU clock/cores - YES

Forcing PC05 to look in other directories - NO

Please feel free to add to this list if I am missing anything.

So Tweaks:

Bob80's - YES

Mouse Movement - YES

Resizing windows (F2D or Registry) - NO

IE Settings - YES

AMD RaidXpert - YES (for now, new decision pending, may be retroactively removed)

Changing Codecs in the directory - NO

Changing Codecs outside the directory - ?

Script to change files for Web Pages - NO

Script to change files for Text Edit - NO

D3DOverrider - YES

Video Encoding via registry - YES

LOD - YES

Other registry tweaks - TO BE DISCUSSED BY ADMINS

Scripts to change drive letters - YES

Scripts to change CPU clock/cores - YES

Forcing PC05 to look in other directories - NO

Please feel free to add to this list if I am missing anything.

Audio Encoding via registry - YES

• Crew

Is necessary if you can see all subtest on screen ?

But not a bad idea, it costs nothing to put the link to the ORB in all submissions of PcMark

That's just the thing Sweet, you don't see all details on the output.

Unless you do as the guys proposed and do the output via a text file.

I think that a lot of people were already showing the text file in their subs, along with links for top 20 and even mentioning storage. It was common practice among most, for a while.

Showing the text file should be standard in the requirements for a screen shot in pcm05.

• Crew
That's just the thing Sweet, you don't see all details on the output.

Unless you do as the guys proposed and do the output via a text file.

Clear, in all submission of PcMark05, must be all the subtests run with each final results, so, use result .txt file in the screen like a ORB link, both are valid.

Always on the screen or the ORB link, everyone should be able to see the final score of each subtest. Mandatory

For Top 20 Global link ORB is mandatory

Edited by Sweet