HWBOT Community Forums

Change my MAXIMUS V GENE with ??? To bench with Ln2

Hy boys,

I want to change my ASUS MAXIMUS V GENE because it don't like cold to bench under LN2.

With temperatures higher -80° the system crash and I can't push my 3770K to the max frequency.

What can I buy? An other MVG or a GIGABYTE Z77X-UD4H for the same price ?

What is better ?

Thanks

Buy another Gene V :P No seriously if you want to try something else I can really recommend GIGABYTE Z77X-UD3H or UP4. The UD4H you mention is like a hybrid of these two that combines UP4's very strong VRM and UD3H's nice features like start button, post decoder display and voltage measure points. But I don't think there's any guarantee that you're next board won't suffer the same unlucky behavior with ln2... but I've heard of a lot of cold problems with the Gene. Might be because it's such a popular board, that there are more people using it with ln2 than any other. Anyway, my vote is for UD4H.

Buy another Gene V :P No seriously if you want to try something else I can really recommend GIGABYTE Z77X-UD3H or UP4. The UD4H you mention is like a hybrid of these two that combines UP4's very strong VRM and UD3H's nice features like start button, post decoder display and voltage measure points. But I don't think there's any guarantee that you're next board won't suffer the same unlucky behavior with ln2... but I've heard of a lot of cold problems with the Gene. Might be because it's such a popular board, that there are more people using it with ln2 than any other. Anyway, my vote is for UD4H.

Thanks Calathea...I want to buy an other GENE V because I know AUS bios very well, but I'm afraid to have again problems of cold...I would try GIAGABYTE but for more 20€ I buy UD4H instead UD3H...

How do you insulate for cold?

What do you put your motherboard on when benching?

I bought an MVG originally, benched without cold bugs for a bit, then it started coldbugging constantly and I couldn't get them to go away. So I bought a second MVG, benched without cold bugs for a bit, then it started coldbugging just like the first one. There were a couple theories on why:

- I was benching them on a motherboard box, which was causing some flex on the motherboard PCB, and damaging the socket area

- I was insulating with petroleum jelly, and it was contaminating the socket, causing contact/conductivity problems under cold

A friend of mine also had an MVG and benched with me at my place, and it also developed cold issues under LN2. Another member on my team had the same issues on an MVG. I have heard of others not having these problems on the MVG - it is no guarantee every MVG will have this problem, but it is a common issue.

I moved to the Maximus V Extreme, and I have had fewer problems. I still had cold bug issues on occasion, but could usually work past them with continued effort. 2 weeks ago, I had cold bug issues on the MVE that I couldn't get around. So I melted off all the petroleum jelly on the board, cleaned out the socket with a hair dryer and a paper towel, and the next time I ran it I had no cold bug issues at all.

So now I've since stopped using vaseline for insulation, and just use a little frost king, paper towels, and a lot of high CFM fans to keep the board warm. I've also stopped benching on motherboard boxes, and I elevate the board with a 1/2" of armaflex foam so the entire board is firmly supported.

Dunno if this helps. Personally, I really like the Asus bios, and I have less trouble getting clocks up on Asus boards in my experience. If I were you, I'd probably look at an MVE. If that is price prohibitive, you might try another MVG, but I've just had and heard enough bad experiences on cold with them that I couldn't recommend it really.

FWIW, I sold my MVG to someone who just runs air, and its been running great for them ever since. I told them I had problems on cold.

How do you insulate for cold?

What do you put your motherboard on when benching?

I bought an MVG originally, benched without cold bugs for a bit, then it started coldbugging constantly and I couldn't get them to go away. So I bought a second MVG, benched without cold bugs for a bit, then it started coldbugging just like the first one. There were a couple theories on why:

- I was benching them on a motherboard box, which was causing some flex on the motherboard PCB, and damaging the socket area

- I was insulating with petroleum jelly, and it was contaminating the socket, causing contact/conductivity problems under cold

A friend of mine also had an MVG and benched with me at my place, and it also developed cold issues under LN2. Another member on my team had the same issues on an MVG. I have heard of others not having these problems on the MVG - it is no guarantee every MVG will have this problem, but it is a common issue.

I moved to the Maximus V Extreme, and I have had fewer problems. I still had cold bug issues on occasion, but could usually work past them with continued effort. 2 weeks ago, I had cold bug issues on the MVE that I couldn't get around. So I melted off all the petroleum jelly on the board, cleaned out the socket with a hair dryer and a paper towel, and the next time I ran it I had no cold bug issues at all.

So now I've since stopped using vaseline for insulation, and just use a little frost king, paper towels, and a lot of high CFM fans to keep the board warm. I've also stopped benching on motherboard boxes, and I elevate the board with a 1/2" of armaflex foam so the entire board is firmly supported.

Dunno if this helps. Personally, I really like the Asus bios, and I have less trouble getting clocks up on Asus boards in my experience. If I were you, I'd probably look at an MVE. If that is price prohibitive, you might try another MVG, but I've just had and heard enough bad experiences on cold with them that I couldn't recommend it really.

FWIW, I sold my MVG to someone who just runs air, and its been running great for them ever since. I told them I had problems on cold.

Thanks IMOG for explain me your experience...;)

I'm really careful for insulation my mboard. I use only rubber, armaflex and paper towels, but never vaseline and I put mboard on a benchtable with armaflex on the back..;)

I think to buy a new mboard but I'm confused. I'm oriented to GIGABYTE because I heard few cold issues by overclockers.

• 4 weeks later...
i hope you use at least 103 or more bclk to get rid of coldbug on z77 boards. to say so my gbt up7 has no cold issues above 103mhz bclk ( cbb depends on cpu ) and the asus boards over 105mhz. if you use only 100mhz bclk you will always run into cold issues

My gene coldbugs whenever I change bclk in bios, even if it's from 106 to 106.1 :P.