HWBOT Community Forums

The Poll: Allow E.S. or disallow ?

What should HWbot do with the E.S. ?  

256 members have voted

1. 1. What should HWbot do with the E.S. ?

• Allow them as normal hardware ( rankings & points given )
    • Totally disallow them ( no submissions, no points, nothing )
    • Allow them as submissions without points
    • Allow them as normal but in a separate league

Just a question Pieter,

how exactly do you know that one of the guys with AquaMark 3 runs ( for example ) with a 6.6GHz++ E.S. are indeed real and not photoshopped mipmap runs ?

Ok Bill I got you this time :D

If you mipmap during aquamark3, the score window is also mipmapped (unintelligible) so you can't even see a score.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

F.O.G.N.A.;59511']I'm for totally disallow them' date=' not cpus ES and not points.

In my honest opinion is the best way for a great equal competition for noob, overclocker and Legend of OC.[/quote']

Uncle,

No, not entirely of course. The logic behind "removing ES from the rankings now is not a good solution" is based on more than just one argument.

1) Our notion of 'ES' is based on the detection by CPU-Z, hence the applicability of the rule is relative to CPU-Z's capability to detect it

2) There is no way to detect VGA ES samples through GPU-Z

3) Introducing the 'ES forbidden' rule means removing them across the board, including Yorkfield, Wolfdale, Conroe and older as we want consistent rules

4) Removing the ES mid-game in unfair to those who have spend a month's paycheck or more on trying to acquire one

5) It doesn't solve the underlying issue of marketing-related overclocking scores dominating amateur rankings.

Furthermore, for the 980X, the issue is the difference in stepping rather than the difference between ES and retail. I think no one cares about the B1 ES samples as they are a lot worse than the current average retails.

Also, it's not about trusting or having faith in the overclocking community (I reckon whoever lost faith earlier will have gained loads of it seeing Hipro5 share the coldslow), but rather experience. If there are two things I've learned from X years of HWBOT it's that a) people will go very far to have an edge over the competition and b) people will consider people cheaters for the slightest oddity in submissions/scores/explanation. This means that IF it's possible to get ES's to look like retail and it gives an edge, people will do it and even if no one would do it, people would accuse people of doing it. A good example of this is the assumption by someone that any 6.7GHz retail shown by AndreYang will not actually be retail.

I think massman made a good point about why not just ban them. It won't solve the problem as it is now.

Edited by Jor3llBR

I'll try to answer to Pieter and Jor3llBR from point to point:

1) has cpu-z experienced some difficulties detecting the es, as of now?

2) maybe the gpu-z programmer could add that... are the ES vga diffused as for the cpu contest?

3) I think that what is done is done... the ES results already submitted, will remain.

4) even keeping everything the way it's now is unfair to all the rest (99%) of the people... so we need to do a trade-off.

5) why?

;)

F.O.G.N.A.;59511']I'm for totally disallow them' date=' not cpus ES and not points.

In my honest opinion is the best way for a great equal competition for noob, overclocker and Legend of OC.[/quote']

Fine words.

I think as you.

or all or none sisi.gif

3) Introducing the 'ES forbidden' rule means removing them across the board, including Yorkfield, Wolfdale, Conroe and older as we want consistent rules

hwbot has never implemented a retro-active like this gen068.gif

New rules are always applied to new submissions while existing results are a matter of record, similar to archive results. If hwbot chose to remove ES moving forward, I'm pretty sure old results would remain.

hwbot has never implemented a retro-active like this gen068.gif

New rules are always applied to new submissions while existing results are a matter of record, similar to archive results. If hwbot chose to remove ES moving forward, I'm pretty sure old results would remain.

Removing 980X and Clarkdale ES results IS retro-active ... ?

Es cpus should be disallow when difference between them and retail is to big, like 500mhz? this is something which should be discussed.

this could an option.

You only know the difference between retail and ES a few weeks/months after the retail is released... it's too late then to decide whether previous submissions should be deleted.

I don't think disallowing ES hardware will solve anything. Just because you have an ES does not mean your hardware is significantly better than a non-ES. If people are going through the trouble of spending time and money cherry picking parts (a lot of painful effort!), more power to them. Bench with what you have and have fun!

________

Honda RVF750 RC45

Edited by Super Nade