HWBOT Community Forums

The Poll: Allow E.S. or disallow ?

What should HWbot do with the E.S. ?  

256 members have voted

1. 1. What should HWbot do with the E.S. ?

• Allow them as normal hardware ( rankings & points given )
    • Totally disallow them ( no submissions, no points, nothing )
    • Allow them as submissions without points
    • Allow them as normal but in a separate league

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

980X - SuperPi 32M ranking:

Places 1 ( 6851MHz ) to 9 = ES

Place 10 ( 6480MHz ) = Retail

980X - SuperPi 1M Ranking:

Places 1 ( 6930MHz ) to 6 = ES

Place 7 ( 6589MHz ) = Retail

990X - CPU-z Ranking:

Place 1 ( 7092MHz ) = ES

Place 3 ( 6836MHz ) = Retail

990X - PiFast Ranking:

Place 1 ( 6946MHz ) = ES

Place 5 ( 6707MHz ) = Retail

990X - wPrime 32m Ranking:

Place 1 ( 6654MHz ) = ES

Place 7 ( 5871MHz ) = Retail

990X - wPrime 1024m Ranking:

Place 1 ( 6585MHz ) = ES

Place 7 ( 5742MHz ) = Retail

Close call ?

Who cares about SB?

The ES Vs retail debate will keep going with every architecture.... EVERY time ES is better than retail.... until a decision is made.

Binned ES is the pinnacle of suckleware.... it should be left for the Pro league at best.

Here's the complete list for 980x (top 10) and 990x (top 5):

980x:

wp32m: 1,2,3,4,5,6,8,9,10: retail, 7: A0 ES

wp1024m: 1,2,3,5,6,7,8,9,10: retail, 4: A0 ES

spi32m: 10: retail, 1,3,4,5,6,7,8,9:A0 ES 2: N/A (thumbnail)

spi1m: 6,8: retail, 1,4,5,7,9: A0 ES, 2,3,10 N/A (thumbnail)

pifast: 3,4,6,8,9,10: retail, 1,7: A0 ES, 2,5: N/A (thumbnail)

cpuz: 1,2,3,5,6,7,9,10: retail, 4,8: A0 ES

ES vs retail: 35-19

990x:

wp32m: 2,3,4,5,: B1 ES, 1: N/A (thumbnail)

wp1024m: 1: retail, 2,3,4,5: B1 ES

spi32m: 3,4: retail, 1,2,5: B1 ES

spi1m: 2: retail, 1,3,4,5: B1 ES

pifast: 5: retail, 2,3,4,5: B1 ES

cpuz: 3: retail, 1,2,4,5: B1 ES

Looks like even steven to me, but wprime seems better on retail chips, and superpi better on A0 ES. Very few people have benched 990x retails, not even 20 pifast results in the database - ES included, so it's just the 980x story all over again - when enough chips have been tested, retails will be alot more visible in the rankings.

I think it's more than safe to say that:

In this ~2 year period, people have tested MUCH MORE 980X Retails than A0 ES.

Do we really need to see it in numbers like... retails tested ( count the hundreds of RMAs... ? ) 10.000 pieces... ES... 1.000 pieces ?

Had a few non retail chips, either before they went retail or chips that never went retail and none have been listed as es in cpu-z.

740 would be a good example, or some of the earlier ( and higher )975 results. They always have a different stepping to retail chips i.e CACDC vs AACDC or are they just for reviews and oem, I dunno.

You tell me lol, hard to see from the data base as you can't see. 740's clearly outpace 720's by a long way. "Media sample" 975's all hit 7gig which was pretty impressive.

Not worth thinking about as you cant tell anyways. Maybe BD will be different.

But are they distinguishable clocking-wise ?

If they clock really similarly to the retails ( as in same clocks, not a single advantage over retail ) it shouldn't be a problem at all.

No difference from my experience. Best chips from each type listed below:

FX53: C

FX55 Clawhammer: C

FX55 San Diego: C

FX57: C

FX60: C

FX62: C

FX64. A (only A's available)

Opteron:

144: C

146: C

148: C

150: C

152: C

154: C

156. A

165. C

170: L

175: C

180: L

185: C

190: L

...and so on. Plus, this "A=ES" theory hasn't been confirmed AFAIK. Early FX60's (retail ones) were ACB2E 0536 chips.

You tell me lol, hard to see from the data base as you can't see. 740's clearly outpace 720's by a long way. "Media sample" 975's all hit 7gig which was pretty impressive.

Not worth thinking about as you cant tell anyways. Maybe BD will be different.

My 740 is an A sample, and it's a very good one:) But i've got shitty Phenom A chips as well, just to make that clear:p

Related to this ES debate, I would also pose the question: Why is Intel sending ES samples to media?

The famous Dr.Who said a few days before the launch of Sandy Bridge that we shouldn't be looking at the early leaks because they weren't showing the performance of retail silicon. The more I wonder why Intel is not providing the media with retail silicon. And if the silicon of the ES media samples is the same like retail silicon, why would they claim the performance in early leaks are not reflecting retail performance.

Extremely Shady business :P

No difference from my experience. Best chips from each type listed below:

FX53: C

FX55 Clawhammer: C

FX55 San Diego: C

FX57: C

FX60: C

FX62: C

FX64. A (only A's available)

Opteron:

144: C

146: C

148: C

150: C

152: C

154: C

156. A

165. C

170: L

175: C

180: L

185: C

190: L

...and so on. Plus, this "A=ES" theory hasn't been confirmed AFAIK. Early FX60's (retail ones) were ACB2E 0536 chips.

Yeah, but I bet it would look a lot different if you had unlimited access to "A" chips.

Time will play a factor too, I bet the es chips you've got were made before the chip went retail. Revised retail steppings following later on.

Related to this ES debate, I would also pose the question: Why is Intel sending ES samples to media?

The famous Dr.Who said a few days before the launch of Sandy Bridge that we shouldn't be looking at the early leaks because they weren't showing the performance of retail silicon. The more I wonder why Intel is not providing the media with retail silicon. And if the silicon of the ES media samples is the same like retail silicon, why would they claim the performance in early leaks are not reflecting retail performance.

Extremely Shady business :P

At least they mark them. Someone should write an editorial and oust the buggers :P

Yeah, but I bet it would look a lot different if you had unlimited access to "A" chips.

Time will play a factor too, I bet the es chips you've got were made before the chip went retail. Revised retail steppings following later on.

Well, I wonder why the lucky ones who had access never posted scores that would indicate those chips were better than the C ones?

If chips improve with time, then whatever difference between A and C chips would be irrelevant as an argument to not allow A chips as later batches would perform better anyway.