HWBOT Community Forums

The official HWBOT OC Challenge July 2010 thread.

Massman

DrSwizz, you uploaded two validation files. I asked to the "TXT report" ;) it's on the last tab, the "About" one.

Sorry; I guess didn't read your request carefully enough.

I'll upload that text-output soon.

Edit: I have uploaded the textfiles you asked for here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/406399770/mvp3g2_memsettings.tar.gz

:-)

Edited by DrSwizz

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess the FBDimm throne wille be mine ;)

As far as I know, I have been holding the LGA771 FSB WR ever since 2008 anyway. Now all I have to do is dig up that Pentium 3 S for some SDram action :D

Edit: Updated submission :)

http://hwbot.org/community/submission/1028290_jcool_memory_clock_fb_dimm_dram_490.4_mhz

Still with 2 CPUs, 4 ramsticks (quad channel!) and 30C ambient. Anybody wanna see >FSB500 and >1Ghz FBDimm speed? I can try :)

Edited by jcool

Today i tried my Abit ST6E (i815), 175 fsb stable,

but unfortunately cpu-z can't show even 1:1 mem divider...

Time to blow a dust out of TUSL and cross fingers?

By the way is it possible to make a cpu-z submission with EDO ram at all or not?

Seems to be it isn't support entirely, who had success with it?

Today i tried my Abit ST6E (i815), 175 fsb stable,

but unfortunately cpu-z can't show even 1:1 mem divider...

Time to blow a dust out of TUSL and cross fingers?

By the way is it possible to make a cpu-z submission with EDO ram at all or not?

Seems to be it isn't support entirely, who had success with it?

This is the only submission I have made with EDO so far:

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1277286

as you can see CPU-Z doesn't recognize the RAM (or much else). It might work better with newer boards though as that particular board & CPU is ancient.

Ok, problem with ST6E solved: actually cpu-z doesn't work properly witn fsb: ram: pci = 3:3:1,

and shows corrently with 4:4:1.

This is the only submission I have made with EDO so far:

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1277286

as you can see CPU-Z doesn't recognize the RAM (or much else). It might work better with newer boards though as that particular board & CPU is ancient.

I tried with amd k6 setup (aladdin 5) ant p mmx (430TX), it also doesn't show memory type.

May be dimm edo witn 440BX will be recognized properly?

Waiting for custom cpu-z wersion?

Or how we can participate in stage 3?

Ok, problem with ST6E solved: actually cpu-z doesn't work properly witn fsb: ram: pci = 3:3:1,

and shows corrently with 4:4:1.

I tried with amd k6 setup (aladdin 5) ant p mmx (430TX), it also doesn't show memory type.

May be dimm edo witn 440BX will be recognized properly?

Waiting for custom cpu-z wersion?

Or how we can participate in stage 3?

CPU-Z probably relies on an EEPROM to be available on the DIMMs.

I had a bit of problem with this myself: I found a really old DIMM that lacked the eeprom. The only way I found to indicate what kind of memory it was (EDO or SDRAM) was that the stick didn't work with SDRAM-only boards.

Sorry to be harsh on you guys; but this is truely a trash competition....

HWBot is all about encouraging evolution in hardware.... Hence; global points getting higher and higher, while hwboints still limited to 300..... Yet; then someone came up with the bright idea of using components that you can get no where anymore..... Oh please...

This is fail... :-/

...ebay? Or what about your local dump site:D

I like these old school competitons - it's already waaaaaaaaaaay too much about the cutting edge parts. I'm surprised my FX53 run got so much attention - I expected 6-7 "well done, keep pushing"-posts at most - if this had been back when these chips were really hot... HaHa!

• Crew

Each month is different Marc. Okay this month is a bit special as these rams have never been mega popular. But apparently there are still some users that owned them and dusted them off. Or got them somewhere... like Knopflerbruce mentioned, you can get loads of this stuff pretty cheap on Ebay and sortlikes...

FYI it's not always about setting new records, it's about the fun and the experience...

Keep up the monthly competitions... eagerly awaiting August...

Sorry to be harsh on you guys; but this is truely a trash competition....

HWBot is all about encouraging evolution in hardware.... Hence; global points getting higher and higher, while hwboints still limited to 300..... Yet; then someone came up with the bright idea of using components that you can get no where anymore..... Oh please...

This is fail... :-/

The HWBOT OC Challenges have been, from the start, about focussing on hardware that doesn't play a huge role in the overall rankings. Geforce4, Athlon XP, Pentium 4, AMD DDR1 overclocking and so on.

HWBOT is not all about encouraging evolution in hardware. It's about the pleasures of overclocking ... be it low-end old-skool or high-end brand-new.

The HWBOT OC Challenges have been, from the start, about focussing on hardware that doesn't play a huge role in the overall rankings. Geforce4, Athlon XP, Pentium 4, AMD DDR1 overclocking and so on.

HWBOT is not all about encouraging evolution in hardware. It's about the pleasures of overclocking ... be it low-end old-skool or high-end brand-new.

Exactly

I for one am enjoying the competition. Though I likely won't win once the big guns come out @ the end I can @ least be competitive. There's no way I can afford the latest and greatest hardware and snazzy cooling but I can always afford a $5 dollar CPU or even a garage sale PC that holds some little gem inside.

I need to grab a PS/2 PCI card and I'll be firing up my s7 EDO board as well.

After a lot of search i finally find good mobo for 'edo' stage.

It is a FIC VA-503+ based on VIA MVP3 chipset.

It has 4 simm connectors and capable up to 124 MHz fsb with 1:1 to memory.

But the main reason was: cpu-z can correctly show memory type (EDO) and frequency!

My 60-ns sticks have maximum working freq. between 100 and 112 MHz (next jumper setting).

At 112 windows cannot boot.

Lucky Star 5MVP3 might be also a goot one, mine have dead keydoard port.

Some notes on WinNT 4.0 sp6: surprisingly it has no mouse emulation through num keypad (and i've lost my com mouse lol).

And mose strange: printscreen doesn't work for some reason, i have to search and use ancient screenshot utility.

I wrote it here because it's too long for submission comment and gives 'Data too long for column 'system' at row 1' =)

After a lot of search i finally find good mobo for 'edo' stage.

It is a FIC VA-503+ based on VIA MVP3 chipset.

It has 4 simm connectors and capable up to 124 MHz fsb with 1:1 to memory.

But the main reason was: cpu-z can correctly show memory type (EDO) and frequency!

My 60-ns sticks have maximum working freq. between 100 and 112 MHz (next jumper setting).

At 112 windows cannot boot.

Lucky Star 5MVP3 might be also a goot one, mine have dead keydoard port.

Have you tried using software to OC the system bus?

The PLL on my MVP3 boards has 103MHz setting that I can only access using software. :-)

Some notes on WinNT 4.0 sp6: surprisingly it has no mouse emulation through num keypad (and i've lost my com mouse lol).

And mose strange: printscreen doesn't work for some reason, i have to search and use ancient screenshot utility.

For me CPU-Z caused the mouse to lock up in NT4 (I used a serial mouse). So I tried using a PS/2 mouse instead, but then both the mouse and the keyboard locked up, very annoying.

Printscreen did work for me though, but windows paint didn't work very well without a mouse. :-/

@speddy411: Nice score.

• Crew

Can people who run the competition check whether the memory frequency is shown only in CPU-Z 1.55 or both 1.54 and 1.55? Looks like Franck made another stealth update a I don't know what bugs I've reported on he did fix and which ones he didn't :)

I know he fixed an old bug used by a number of cheaters, checked that.