HWBOT Community Forums

What causes CBB and CB

Right I have been wondering this for a while and I never really knew the answer to it. Can anyone tell my exactly what causes a CBB or CB to happen on one chip and not on the other and what the cause of said cold bug may be. I don't mean the whole "it turns it into a super conductor thing" I mean why is it that you can have a 22nm Ivy CPU that might cold bug at -230c with LHe and then you get a 22nm Haswell CPU made from the same sort of tech that might cold bug at 100c lower than that (-130c).

If anyone knows why or has a rough idea then please feel free to post :)

Lewis.

I think there is no quick answer on this question and as long as somebody has worked at Intel and investigated this issue you can never be sure if the explanation is correct or not.

I can only guess but I think the reason of a cold bug is related to the basic materials used and process parameters. Every generation has a different basic wafer in terms of silicon doping, different alloys deployed on top of it and so on.

With a decreasing temperature the resistance of silicon is increasing. It could be that at a certain point some parts are just not working anymore.

Silicon is a semiconductor and therefore the resistance increases with a lower temperature. That's the reason why CPUs die at high volts and temperatures. At a certain temperature silicon turns from a semiconductor to a conductor with almost 100% conductivity -> short -> CPU is dead. I can't remember the exact temperature but it's somewhere between 150-200°C if I remember correctly.

Don't forget that a CPU is not "made" of silicon. Silicon is just the base material which you use to create layers on top. A big part are traces which are made of copper and copper behaves the way you said. Lower temperature -> lower resistance.

Transistors are made of silicon tho.

• Crew

Nick shih told me haswell's situation is different, he said that the reason all the cpu's have such close CB's is because its not CB's, its some temperature protection trip that intel built into the CPU. Ofcourse they could shut it down with cool software or tools but intel made a mistake and made it impossible to access or change the protection. Leaving us stuck at -130. The next release will have this "issue" fixed so we "should" see no cold bug on broadwell

Nick shih told me haswell's situation is different, he said that the reason all the cpu's have such close CB's is because its not CB's, its some temperature protection trip that intel built into the CPU. Ofcourse they could shut it down with cool software or tools but intel made a mistake and made it impossible to access or change the protection. Leaving us stuck at -130. The next release will have this "issue" fixed so we "should" see no cold bug on broadwell

Is it not fixable in a similar fashion to the way we used to do CB mods on P55 and H55 motherboards or is it something built into the die itself hence why some of the ES models saw absolutely no CB?

thanks for sharing

• 4 weeks later...