HWBOT Community Forums

Future technology on the market,incredible CPU's

suzuki

I'm currently working with a team of scientist which have on their agenda a project that involves renouncing at semiconductors in favor of optical gates in order to improve different parts of a pc and not only.

I am posting over here because it's one of the most known forums(sites) and maybe this project will see the light of day with your help by promoting it.

I've attached a short presentation of this project,have a look and write down your opinions about it in this thread.

Can you be more specific ?

Besides the datasheet,there is also a patent and a working prototype of a optical calculator(it appears in the pictures from the presentation).

All we need are funds and the "real" processor will appear.Everything it is in the patent can be explained and demonstrated.

Edited by suzuki

Theoretically very interesting. The question is how you can realise the idea to build a real processor.

I guess as long as you have any sort of device that can do basic Boolean logic (aka logic operations) then you're good to go.

Take Minecraft for example: many people have already built their own CPU/computer which can do simple calculus and even run some games ! Nothing more than blocks were needed.

As long as you can do execute/process the very same operations as modern processors do with a given system or material, then you're just on your way to another type of processor. Since light physics can be used to make this 1 and 0 states "happen", we can have optical processors.

Now the thing is, how do you make RAM ? (or equivalent) Will it be optical memory ? Or will there be some sort of classical RAM bridge to the optical components ? And what about the graphics cards, hard disks, etc ?

Time will tell. For now, calculus only. :D

Modem and videocards can be done with similar process.The nowadays technology it's reaching it's limits(as fabrication process).

Imagine you have almost 0 heat and equivalent of 25 mil GHZ on one cpu.I don't know if their gonna be consumer products,but there are many domains which can use such a computing power.

It will be the first step for great things.

Patent :

http://www.google.com/patents/US20050211881

I cannot on kickstarters,you have to be from Canada/Uk or U.S.A. to be able to put a project on that site.

Quirky it's not a viable option,and IndieGOGO i have to study their conditions.

I've posted in here because there are a lot of smart people with different connections,maybe somebody will guide this thread in the good direction. :)

Every post of you people ,will matter,as long as this thread is up there are more chances for things to happen(tiny ones,but better than none).

I cannot on kickstarters,you have to be from Canada/Uk or U.S.A. to be able to put a project on that site.

Quirky it's not a viable option,and IndieGOGO i have to study their conditions.

I've posted in here because there are a lot of smart people with different connections,maybe somebody will guide this thread in the good direction. :)

Every post of you people ,will matter,as long as this thread is up there are more chances for things to happen(tiny ones,but better than none).

In before meaning of life computed

But, "The nowadays technology it's reaching it's limits(as fabrication process)." isnt that what we have been hearing about since 180nm in early 2000? (March)

14 years later, we still see roadmaps with shrink.

The concept you are working on is quite interesting none the less, but I think using the fact that it CAN surpass with ease is what you should be promoting, not that the conventional is coming to its end, because no, you are not going to see Intel laying on its back like a dog unable to get up - it's simply too big a money-machine for that.

I've just stated a true fact.In this period of time(14 years) the progress was relatively normal but it will reach an end.

The fact that they are postponing(covering) that end through different marketing tactics(giving to the crowd performance step by step) doesn't have any relevance with the fact that this technology is compromised for future major advancement.

What we are proposing with this project i'ts a huge step.To compare a optical cpu with a nowadays processor will be the same as comparing a cow with an airplane on a marathon race.

But, "The nowadays technology it's reaching it's limits(as fabrication process)." isnt that what we have been hearing about since 180nm in early 2000? (March)

14 years later, we still see roadmaps with shrink.

The concept you are working on is quite interesting none the less, but I think using the fact that it CAN surpass with ease is what you should be promoting, not that the conventional is coming to its end, because no, you are not going to see Intel laying on its back like a dog unable to get up - it's simply too big a money-machine for that.

yes but isn't the problem that we're getting to a point where the silicon simply cannot be cut any smaller since it's theoretically impossible?

yes but isn't the problem that we're getting to a point where the silicon simply cannot be cut any smaller since it's theoretically impossible?

Same question different words, people have been thinking that for more than 14 years, yet if you look at the roadmap, its still becoming smaller...

So no, untill we stop seeing shrink every 12-18 months, I strongly doubt it.

Eventually, every technology grinds to a halt. I think that corporations like Intel, AMD and IBM (amongst others) slow down the release process, so that people working on the next generation of computers have more time to do so.

Quantum computing costs hell a lot and requires you to use liquid helium, which is itself also very expensive. So definitely not something we'll see in the near future in our houses (or at least it will be used by specific corporations/governments with $$$). In this regard, optical computing seems more reasonable (no fancy cooling required and I guess the overall price of the technology is way below the one of quantum).

You said you needed financing ?

• Crew

Just went throught it, so basically you have an optical switch, that can switch on or off depending on the light beam wave length, phases and polarization.

Interesting, even tho I'm pretty sure there are some range around that depending on the adjustement / cleaness of each signal...

Anyway, that looks cool indeed ! What are the main limitation ? does the "gate" take up too much space for now ? (according to the size on the box with the FC connectors.). Is there a limit in size also for each gate (especially if wave length are involved, there might be a sweet spot for each wave to get in sync) ?

The switch (or gate) itself doesn't produce heat, but the light source will, I guess you want to use very higly calibrated laser as source... so that is where most of the heat will come. If my understanding is correct.

Complex CPUs like today are about 1.4Billions transistors, event the Intel 4004 already had about 2,300 transistors. but that is a bit irrelevant because you don't really copy the cpu directly but you adapt the concept of transistors.

Would love to see a working prototype of this :D

He he,the first complex post :). I will get back to you with details,if i'm allowed to do so.

Some of the things can be spoken of in here,but the important stuff off how the device is working and investment or others things related,will need to be discussed in a meeting with a signed NDA form upfront.

Hehe ;)

As it is so wonderful I'm trying to get why it is not yet implemented / produced, especially because the patent in question is from 10Years + old !

So taht leads me to my post above mostly on the size etc.

Probably because it will most likely be a very high cost for fiber optics/components. With silicon we can control everything very closely almost to an atomic level. Until there is an industry that drives the need for small fiber switches I'm not sure how viable of an option it would be.

What are the main limitation ? does the "gate" take up too much space for now ? (according to the size on the box with the FC connectors.). Is there a limit in size also for each gate (especially if wave length are involved, there might be a sweet spot for each wave to get in sync) ?

Official answer form Dmitry Ponomarenko( patent owner)

"FC connector was made only to increase the size of the prototype. For the sake of clarity. The size of the transistor depends on the creation of the source beam. Currently up to 1 nm. More size depends on the length of the processor. If the processor has the size of 1 square meter, it is necessary to have the beam size, so that will come without losses from the beginning to the end of the processor. If the processor is 1 square centimeter, then 1 nm transistor will be enough.

About synchronization. Tests have shown that does not require precise timing, as recorded in the patent. In reality, you can do a very rough adjustment. This topic requires a separate patenting the availability of funds. Unfortunately there is no possibility in the framework of this forum to explain the uselessness of fine-tuning - this know-how still unprotected(nda and patent release).

Briefly about synchronization. This is similar to the calibration of quantum qubits. But the difference is that after calibration, optical transistor outputs only the correct results, but not a mixture of right and wrong, as in the theory of qubits."

Edited by suzuki