HWBOT Community Forums

HWBOT Rev.4 - The Plan.

Massman

• Crew
I personally disagree with the "only best submission count toward team". Most of us starting ocing cause we felt like we were contributing to something bigger, even with the 2 points we could offer to our teams. That made as try to get better and better. Now we will not have this kind of feeling offered to the new members. this fume is killing OC. Do you want this community ti get bigger and stronger or you just want to destroy it. Give reason to newbies to keep Overclocking... let them have the feeling of contribution to a team.

Before you give a team a chance HWbot has to get some sort of control over the dirty ones... Yep it's because of the GREED of some individuals that these strict measures are upon us...

But...

You can perfectly bench for a team and up your Hardware points, learn stuff and make a lot of new friends.

Sorry mate but them 2 points ain't gonna make much difference do they ? If you have a good team spirit, they all will be happy you are on the team, contributing or not...

Let me tell you I started solo, then benched with I4 memory team ( as I was a spammer on their forum) I learned some cool stuff from big shots like Dino, Eva2000 and co (no not from Angelo :P). Then I wanted to move up and wanted to go subzero as I was stuck with my watercooled setups.

I found my home at the OC Team BE, not because they were highly ranked, but just that the persons in the team could teach me a lot and were living in my country. Secondly they were nice blokes too ( ugly like me, but nice )

Now I haven't contributed much to the team total, as I always work with 2-3 points, but they don't care. It's all about the Spirit of OCing... and I bench whatever I can get my hands on : low end GPU/CPU's, laptops, whatever it will be... It's exploring the hardware that makes it fun for me... the points are just a bonus...

Seems everybody lost the concept and just benches to be in top position...

Why don't you continue to improve yourself. At one day you will have to ditch watercooling or such to contribute more points to your team...

This is called evolution or progression...And even if it doesn't contribute to the team, then it still should be fun !!!

Don't give up on it yet, see how it evolves... believe me it won't destroy the scene. With some refinements it will only make it more competitive...

Edited by Leeghoofd

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem i have with the proposed team rankings is that the CPUs that give good points are few in number.

E8xxx, e6600, q6600, i7 920, and that's really about it.

The other CPUs just aren't worth much. I would be much more positive about the new rankings if the points calculation for less popular hardware was changed, as it is you have to be top3 to top5 to get good points until there are 200-300 submissions for a benchmark.

That makes it extremely hard if you're on anything but LN2 with whatever motherboard that chip loves, and/or if your chip isn't a golden sort of thing.

If the points tapered off more slowly, the new team format would work a lot better.

I still don't like it, but i can see the point of it at least.

I think we have different opinions here ;) but let's just make it more simple: team rankings in the way planned are not reflecting any kind of "team-ranking" but only individuals best results...so we can remove team rankings completely - out, over, end....would be fine for me - friendship between all teams as there is no competition between teams directly...why not, could save a lot trouble ;):)

This is a valid point. One thing we were playing with (concept) was to have a similar split up for teams as we had for users where one team has both an Xtreme part and an ambient part. This situation is a bit more complex coding-wise, but not completely undoable.

Another idea would be to have subteams and larger 'mother' teams. This would be the opposite of the current strategy of having one huge team and trying to enlist as many people as possible. Something like:

- OC Forums

-- OC Forums LN2 Boys

-- OC Forums "we don't need no liquid nitrogen"

-- OC Forums "I like them old and cheap"

But that makes things more complicated as well.

Thanks for the response. Something like that is exactly what I was thinking would happen anyways. Once the sub-zero guys get all the team's points, then the ambient guys would split off and make a "OC Forums Ambient" benching team.

The mother and sub teams idea is interesting, especially if the points from each sub team contribute to the mother team's point total. So, would there just be 2 divisions, sub-zero and ambient? Or, a division for each type of cooling, LN2, Dice, Phase, H2O, Air, etc.?

Sorry I didn't respond earlier in the thread, but ~10 pages of mostly **** puts a distance between posts pretty quickly...

• Crew

The proposed team ranking will be a best off what your team can do...

Which is sometimes a more honest reflection then what we are seeing now Christopher SOFius. Ofcourse it's not only about hardware sharing.

But an example of the state we are in :

I even see hardware sharing between different teams, just check out the TOP 6 in the ATI Radeon 4290 scores for 3Dmark06... backgrounds, icons, hardware matches... hell even some dates :P; Sorry but this kindda crap has to end.

But where does the Hwbot staff start ? I'm glad I'm not in their position, as it will be pretty hard to get everybody's brain dialed in...

So we first must remove the motivation from the new members to see If this is going to work.

So what did motivate you to be in Hellas team ? To be in the top 3 ? To contribute ? Or to learn stuff and have fun ?

Seems you forgot the FUN factor a while ago man... it's a freaking hobby :eek: not a way of life !!

Edited by Leeghoofd

I blame the names of the corporations shown on the bot's frontpage for this, not the bot's staff. In fact I know it can't be fun for them either.

The thing is ... you shouldn't. Not many people realize this, but if it wasn't for the three MFCs stepping up and support the development, it's very likely that HWBOT would not have been up anymore. The running costs just kept on growing and investments of previous years never got covered. In the end, it's thanks to the three corporations on the front page that this site still exists :).

If you want to be angry at anyone, it should be those MFCs that think it's okay to use this site for marketing and research, but have no interest in supporting the development. Those are the ones that make the financial situations of the site a problem, not the ones that support us.

Also, I don't really understand all the hatred towards corporations to begin with. Everyone needs to understand that for most of the hardware manufacturers, extreme overclocking is something very new. This means that things get fucked up sometimes (competitions for instance); the important thing is to learn from the mistakes and try to avoid them in the future. That's precisly the reason why with this revision I've pro-actively enquired the partners what they think about it: that's right - hwbot invited the manufacturers to talk about the next revision. Not the other way around.

If we want to improve the overclocking game, we need to take into account that both manufacturers as individuals are interested in playing. Excluding either is pointless, therefore we can only embrace both. In other words: try to find a solution that both parties can be happy with.

I can take a lot of shit from a lot of people, but when I see people claim that the only reason things change is to 'make more money' ... well, it pretty much breaks me in half and makes me think whether it's worth to put this much time/effort in trying to build bridges ... :)

Which is sometimes a more honest reflection then what we are seeing now Christopher SOFius. Ofcourse it's not only about hardware sharing.

I even see hardware sharing between different teams, just check out the TOP 6 in the ATI Radeon 4290 scores for 3Dmark06... backgrounds, icons, hardware matches... hell even some dates :P; Sorry but this kindda crap has to end.

But where does the Hwbot staff start ? I'm glad I'm not in their position, as it will be pretty hard to get everybody's brain dialed in...

Fully agree on the second part but I can't see the benefit of the new calculation method even your explanation has a point after reading it some more times. anyway as I said it can be removed completely I think I expressed how important it is in the end for me personally. still it is an important point as long as the ranking exists ;)

So what did motivate you to be in Hellas team ? To be in the top 3 ? To contribute ? Or to learn stuff and have fun ?

Seems you forgot the FUN factor a while ago man... it's a freaking hobby :eek: not a way of life !!

I am friend with most If the guys In my team, and we are having fun together benching or going out for q coffee. The feeling that I contribute to somethint made me trying to become better. Competing with others makes it funnier and more interesting. New If you wannna offer something to your team you have to buy toner of hw and become the best. That leaves enthusiasm out of the game.

your problem is how you want to fund hwbot

if you go with manufactures you will be bent over and told to touch your toes

You seem to fail to grasp the complexity of the situation. We don't just want to work with manufacturers to get more money, we also want to work with them so we can guide them within the overclocking community. If there's an actual business relationship, there's a way to explain WHY the community doesn't like MFCs screwing up competitions, for instance.

As I said before: ignoring the manufacturers's wish to use overclocking for marketing is the wrong move. It's important that they actually understand what's going on in the community. Just to give a small example: MFCs have a hard time understanding that the overclocking competitions with high-end hardware are less interesting than competitions with cheap stuff. Or that it's not really motivating to get a R5870 as prize if you need the same model to compete.

Again, we're working not FOR manufacturers, but WITH them :).

Why wait for a public event where i have to be on my best behavior. It's quite obvious when I am there for a manufacturer I can't mix it with personal problems ;)

Convenient for you I guess.

Conveneint for me I can always go to your house if your afraid to come to mine.

What you want a confrontation? That wasn't what i was saying at all. See your reading into something that wasn't there. Sort of like the statement you made "I don't think you would want that to happen". You see how that goes? End of discussion. Plz get on topic. BTW everyone on my team told me to edit that post because it insinuated without pointing a finger in any way. Like yours did.

Massman, my apologies for the trash. It won't happen anymore.

Edited by [GF]Duke

I think we should go back to topic: constructive criticism on Rev4.

How HWBot fund the site should not be part of this - perhaps it can be discussed in another thread ?

@Massman:

If there is a possibility for the community to help - maybe you can think about it and make a suggestion how this could be realized.

you invited manufacturers to discuss where the site was going? what about the guys that put in years of helping to build up the database? the users. they are seeing problems with the new revision, will they be listened to and action-ed. I see the vast majority posting in this thread against [overwhelmingly] the team points changes for example.

cmon mass listen to the people, even charge a sub fee, i'd be happy to pay it, but not this please, it will kill team motivation.

I think we should go back to topic: constructive criticism on Rev4.

How HWBot fund the site should not be part of this - perhaps it can be discussed in another thread ?

@Massman:

If there is a possibility for the community to help - maybe you can think about it and make a suggestion how this could be realized.

rev 4 is about funding

you invited manufacturers to discuss where the site was going? what about the guys that put in years of helping to build up the database? the users. they are seeing problems with the new revision, will they be listened to and action-ed. I see the vast majority posting in this thread against [overwhelmingly] the team points changes for example.

cmon mass listen to the people, even charge a sub fee, i'd be happy to pay it, but not this please, it will kill team motivation.

Obviously they will be addressed and discussed ... you don't need to pay any money for that. All I ask for is that instead of producing random crap, people would just post the point of issue.

No offense to those that actually did come forward with a decent reply ;).

//edit: the reason why we spoke with manufacturers first is because the relationship between us and manufacturers is not as long-standing as the one we have with the community. Usually, we can get decent feedback from the community quite rapidly, whereas with manufacturers it's sometimes a bit more difficult. Also, the eta was set at 2011, which is like in 3 months if everything goes REALLY fast. It's quite likely it's going to take a bit longer to actually put it in production (designer, etc). It's not as if we just launched it and said 'here you go' ...

• Crew

People need to get the focus off the idea that this new REV is steered by the companies...

This Rev4 is intended to correct some major flaws that have happened in the past... being it albeit a bit harsh. This ain' texactly race horses Bazx... though it might reflect it sometimes :P

So eg by creating a rule that sort of limits the amount of hardware bought by a team will make the manufacturers benefit ? Pure logic then : As a result they will put more money into Hwbot. The latter will impose even more rules :eg buy only the cheap stuff. As a result even more money rolls in..

I don't get it... do you ?

I kindda like this, even more than with the F1 OC... makes me wanna screaaaaaaaaaaam

Edited by Leeghoofd