HWBOT Community Forums

HWBOT Rev.4 - The Plan.

Massman

I see the new rev. killing interest in submitting to hwbot. The teams that purchase lots of hardware now, will still purchase all the hardware and still dominate the 10 points spots available. And in that case, why should anyone submit a score that makes no points. I dont think I will hear anyone say " I didnt score any points but wanted to add to the database". I know it seems that this rev will enhance the bot, but in the end I see it running of 80% of those that currently submit. I think I wouldnt have a reason to submit any scores.

In the end it still will only benefit those that have found one of those lovely golden samples that just scream.

I am definitely losing interest in submitting.

To me the way to make the most happy is to split the Pro's and leave the rest in a large group to fight for the rest.

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a thought.

Don't get the same freaking hardware and let members that have a good card or are good at something in particular go after a class.

Hey your benching 8800GTS 640, you handle that i will tackle 8800GT 512, and this guy can tackle the 7900GT, while this other guys handles 5850..........

I see it all cheaper in long run when same team members dont have to all bench the same damn vga or a crappy VGA when another member has a better one.

I see your point, but doesn't that take away from the ranking system as a whole?

The point of a ranking system or a database is to get as many entries as possible and organize them in a scale to compare the results... more results benefits the system as a whole in terms of data, averages, and so on. It just seems counter intuitive to the entire system just to catch a few dirty bastard cheaters with nothing better to do than get a leg up on someone.... It can also make popular hardware seem less popular in the rankings falsely, thus harming the marketing ability of the site, which is one of the main angles this place intends to make money... It just seems all around counter intuitive to half-solve a problem.

;)

I see your point, but doesn't that take away from the ranking system as a whole?

The point of a ranking system or a database is to get as many entries as possible and organize them in a scale to compare the results... more results benefits the system as a whole in terms of data, averages, and so on. It just seems counter intuitive to the entire system just to catch a few dirty bastard cheaters with nothing better to do than get a leg up on someone.... It can also make popular hardware seem less popular in the rankings falsely, thus harming the marketing ability of the site, which is one of the main angles this place intends to make money... It just seems all around counter intuitive to half-solve a problem.

;)

Sure but I don't think you realize how bad hw sharing is going on.........

There is one team posting here atm totally against this ( surprise surpise ) and they have a extremely well organized sharing regime going on at a level that you could not even fathom.

I have screenshots of admissions of this.........as well as other "data".

I won't name the team, they know who they are.

TBH I think with the proof they should all get a permaban and that should be an example then no need for rev 4.

Hwbot chooses to be kind however and just remove the temptation to cheat.....at least at a team level.

Edited by chew*

There is one team posting here atm totally against this and they have a extremely well organized sharing regime going on at a level that you could not even fathom.

TBH I think with the proof they should all get a permaban and that should be an example then no need for rev 4.

Makes perfect sense to me... I don't really pay too much attention to other teams... I guess I should start. If that is the case, then they should ban the pricks and be done with it. Make the example of them and leave the points system alone. I like competing, I like chasing scores in the hw rankings. I really like that it benefits my team, and gives me something to show for it. I especially like "playing the lotto" when buying hardware. the team points thing gives me more incentive to keep playing.

I don't mind the leagues... Those will benefit many in sub-rankings.

There is one team posting here atm totally against this ( surprise surpise ) and they have a extremely well organized sharing regime going on at a level that you could not even fathom.

Hwbot chooses to be kind however and just remove the temptation to cheat.....at least at a team level.

Yea but if there is such a big problem with one team you have to punish these few people and not the whole HWBot Community!

Here's a thought.

Don't get the same freaking hardware and let members that have a good card or are good at something in particular go after a class.

Hey your benching 8800GTS 640, you handle that i will tackle 8800GT 512, and this guy can tackle the 7900GT, while this other guys handles 5850..........

I see it all cheaper in long run when same team members dont have to all bench the same damn vga or a crappy VGA when another member has a better one.

Yes! +1 for that.

But also I think if two member had the same hw, it isn't fair for them that only one could help their team.

Like Daenzo said before, what about percentages, eg:

Team A

3D06 5870 ranking

OCer1 #2 45pts

OCer2 #7 30pts

OCer3 #13 21pts

OCer4 #22 12pts

Team A gets 98pts total with rev 3

With Rev 4 only 45pts and OCer2, OCer3 and OCer4 sads because they could help to the team.

Why not to do something like this:

Personal Team

OCer1 #2 45pts 45pts

OCer2 #7 30pts 3pts (if isn't the best of their team only gets its 10% of the personal submission value)

OCer3 #13 21pts 2.1pts

OCer4 #22 12pts 1.2pts

That only 10% better than nothing. :) It could be a 5% too. Submissions below 1pts obtains 0.1 to the team.

90% fair against sharing hw and 10% fair for who has the same hw.

Yes! +1 for that.

But also I think if two member had the same hw, it isn't fair for them that only one could help their team.

Like Daenzo said before, what about percentages, eg:

Team A

3D06 5870 ranking

OCer1 #2 45pts

OCer2 #7 30pts

OCer3 #13 21pts

OCer4 #22 12pts

Team A gets 98pts total with rev 3

With Rev 4 only 45pts and OCer2, OCer3 and OCer4 sads because they could help to the team.

Why not to do something like this:

Personal Team

OCer1 #2 45pts 45pts

OCer2 #7 30pts 3pts (if isn't the best of their team only gets its 10% of the personal submission value)

OCer3 #13 21pts 2.1pts

OCer4 #22 12pts 1.2pts

That only 10% better than nothing. :) It could be a 5% too. Submissions below 1pts obtains 0.1 to the team.

90% fair against sharing hw and 10% fair for who has the same hw.

Hola :D, donde nos vinimos a encontrar jajajaj, veo que entendiste lo que queria decir yo también, la idea que diste es hasta ahora lo mas cuerdo para poder puntuar.

Anyone else share this?

100%

The problem is it's more than one team........me personally I only have proof of one team.

Sure hwbot has proof of many enough for them to want to employ such a drastic change.

TBH the teams doing it must think people are naieve. The only people they are really fooling are themselves.

The problem is it's more than one team........me personally I only have proof of one team.

Sure hwbot has proof of many enough for them to want to employ such a drastic change.

TBH the teams doing it must think people are naieve. The only people they are really fooling are themselves.

If they have the proof, the they should reprimand those doing the cheating, not everyone by an entire change on how teams are ranked. Losing the support of the little guy is never the answer... Right now, I like posting my results here and comparing scores on a points scale, but I also like to see my team's total go up as a result of that as well... contributing to the group. Like i said before, i will not stop benching my hw and posting results, I will just stop doing it here.... I feel many will most likely do the same.

sites like these do rely on sponsors/advertisers (whatever you want to call them), but that is 100% reliant on site traffic... if that goes, so do the sponsors.... I like this site, it is quite the handy service. I do wish they wouldn't shoot themselves in the foot by mistake. :)

If the proof is there, why not lay it on the line? Who is being protected that this hasn't been done already?

Wait, lemme guess, some of the heavy hitters that HWBot is planning on using to suck in the manufacturers.

Edited by Mr.Scott

Wait, lemme guess, some of the heavy hitters that HWBot is planning on using to suck in the manufacturers.

Okay, I'm done.

I'll listen to criticism, but not blatant "you do it all for the money"-accusations. You have no clue of what the financial status of HWBOT is, so this is out of line.

See you next week.

Guest TheMadDutchDude

Massman,

Would it be at all possible to lay out the plans exactly in a bullet point mannor so that it is easy for us to see what is in the planning stages of Rev.4?

I personally like Rev.3 and I'd like to to stay that way.

As it was said before, if we are now going to submit scores worthy of 0 points because someone has a better CPU/GPU than us, then surely it defeats the point in trying and spending our time/money on such a hobby?

Okay, I'm done.

I'll listen to criticism, but not blatant "you do it all for the money"-accusations. You have no clue of what the financial status of HWBOT is, so this is out of line.

See you next week.

Meh, I could care less if it's done for the $$ or not. The fact remains always that the bills need to be paid.

I just want my team to have the boints.... that's all. :) Plain and simple, I am by far not the best bencher on my team, and I haven't had the bank roll lately for the global hunt... hopefully that changes, but the boints system as is keeps me posting/coming here.

Throw out the riff-raff, and let us keep our team boints... would it help if I said "pretty please, with silicone on top"? :P

If they have the proof, the they should reprimand those doing the cheating,

Not to sure you would want that to happen ;)

If the proof is there, why not lay it on the line? Who is being protected that this hasn't been done already?

Maybe the source wishes to remain unknown ;)

Yea lol i've just accepted rev3 and members of our team hunt ebay for 8800s to gather points and now that hard work and money is lost with rev4.

I know what you mean and that is alot of fun to do.I was sorta liking that because i still have alot of the old vgas that i got new or hunted forsale sections for.

Loads of fun doing that.

Now its going to be easier(?)for the closer team members/bigger teams.

Just pool your money together buy what you need.

If i could visualize it alittle better i could get a game plan till in 6-7 months,when we start all over with something else ponts wise.

Damned right I do! I know what my team mates do... I see the $$$ pouring out of their wallets. Not worried about repercussions on my team's end... we keep receipts around my way, pal.

Let the banning commence and the chips fall where they may, I know me and my team mates will come out somewhere near the top, and smelling damned good, too. (and we're prettier)

:middlefinger:

I am 100% positive that would be a good thing. Stop trolling dude.

Edit: and btw never eat while you're on camera again. That was thee most disgusting thing i've ever seen. Hence the name "Chew".

Edited by [GF]Duke

Massman,

Would it be at all possible to lay out the plans exactly in a bullet point mannor so that it is easy for us to see what is in the planning stages of Rev.4?

I personally like Rev.3 and I'd like to to stay that way.

As it was said before, if we are now going to submit scores worthy of 0 points because someone has a better CPU/GPU than us, then surely it defeats the point in trying and spending our time/money on such a hobby?

User ranking:

- MAIN RANKINGS

-- UFL: pro's and super-seeded freelance

-- XOL: ~ current oc league without above

-- EL: ambient cooling people

- SIDE RANKINGS

-- Competition ranking: points of comps, also affect XOL in small way

-- hardware masters: as now

-- achievement ranking: if we iron out bugs :P

Team ranking:

- MAIN RANKING

-- Teams league: best submission of user in team is of value

- SIDE RANKING

-- Team 'hardware masters'? ~ hw masters, but for teams

-----------------------

Maybe many of you don't realize how much stress the hardware sharing is putting on the staff. Most of the time, we have rumours and accusations, but no solid proof. Since the scores are not removed, people accuse us of covering up all the time, but in fact we're just trying not to make things too dictatorial in terms of moderating. Without decent proof, there's nothing we can do if we want to give a legit reason. This issue gives us a lot of troubles, because we want to make the competition as enjoyable as possible and instead of that it's just causing more troubles.

So, maybe for you the price is too big, but for us it might be justifiable.

That being said ... it's not a good idea either to 'hurt' the smalltime overclockers (those who just bench something they already have) either. It's not really hurting anyone if you're agreeing who will be doing what within the team, but might not be cool for people who just started overclocking.

Who said anything about your team?

someone has a guilty concsience.

...uh, you did. when you said "i don't think you want that to happen."

very insinuating statement in the least. Why wouldn't I want that to happen?

EDIT: @ duke... too late, I fell for it already :P hope he keeps it up, woke up in a randy mood this morning....

Edited by FACE411

Okay, I'm done.

See you next week.

So you banned Mr.Scott

For being direct and to the point on a discussion thread?

That is PERVERSE!

So you banned Mr.Scott

For being direct and to the point on a discussion thread?

That is PERVERSE!

Banned because he keeps insinuating our only aim is to make money. Sorry, I do not sacrifice this much hours a week to this project for this kind of paycheck just so people could rant on how we sell ourselves.

Okay. Done.