HWBOT Community Forums

All-female OC team at MOA/GOOC/... ?

As far as I know there have not been any rules prohibiting women from competing...if there was a genuine interest among the ladies out there they would already be doing this on their own. So does this really need to be planned/planned by men? I mean I don't care who makes up a team, seeing great overclocking is what it's all about.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I know there have not been any rules prohibiting women from competing...if there was a genuine interest among the ladies out there they would already be doing this on their own. So does this really need to be planned/planned by men? I mean I don't care who makes up a team, seeing great overclocking is what it's all about.

It's possible that the barrier for competiting in a live competition is currently too limiting? There are definitly some skilled female extreme overclockers out there, so perhaps there needs to be another incentive to get into the game.

I dunno. Kinda started this thread to find out what women want (:P).

IMO skill is everything, you're not better than the results you get :)

It's not so strange that when there are few female OC'ers in general, then few will compete at live events. Get more of them to overclock, and more will qualify for events. There's no reason why gender should mean anything in this game, just like shooting sport (or whatever that's called) and chess.

• Crew
It's actually quite sad that the idea of discrimination (positive and negative) has infected our minds to the extend that ANY form of favoritism towards a specific group is perceived as absolute evil.

Yes Massman, This is a reality that can't be avoided, surely many others who read this ask these same questions.

Also, some also think that there is favoritism in the election, probably.

These types of questions are in human nature, also with some degree of envy existing, off course.

For example, because they themselves and not me? :confused:

sad that the idea of discrimination

I don't know why, But this exists and surely always it is going to exist.

Someone said: "The only truth is the reality"

We are only human beings, no? :)

It's actually quite sad that the idea of discrimination (positive and negative) has infected our minds to the extend that ANY form of favoritism towards a specific group is perceived as absolute evil.

Sometimes it's a good idea, but in a 100% gender independant sport like this it just looks silly. If we want more females, we need to make them start benching instead of giving away free tickets to the few who bench.

If the only truth is reality and we have not yet figured out what reality exactly is, how can we know what is the truth?

Scientific research has actually shown that people can actually switch off the discrimination 'feature' in their brain as long as you ask for it explicitly. If you don't ask for it, discrimination is always a factor in the decision-making process.

All things aside, I think it's quite strange that people are in favor of positive discrimination based on geographical location ("there must be Australian qualifier") and positive discrimination based on financial possibilities ("make it possible for everyone to compete in online qualifier"), but are suddenly heavily opposed to any discrimination based on gender.

What's the difference?

• Crew
If the only truth is reality and we have not yet figured out what reality exactly is, how can we know what is the truth?

Every person has his own reality before a fact, according to his culture, education and environment.

In general lines, this it is his reality and in addition his truth.

In our planet is very different realities for each cultural group, and that is their reality and their true.

I like that what Lennon says in one of his songs is the form about which the whole world thinks.

Imagine there's no countries

It isn't hard to do

Nothing to kill or die for

And no religion too

Imagine all the people

Living life in peace...

This one is true, but it so hard.

In the discrimantion (positive or negative) it is the same thing, so much be for place where lives, religion, politic or gender.

Likewise the evil thought of favouritism exists, Any innovative idea or that is of benefit to some sector is going to be criticized also by this.

The personal interests also influence the opinions, undoubtedly ;)

What's the difference?

There is no perceptible difference, this is in every person, for some place where they live or their eye color (also woman or man) can make a difference for some, for others not

Well.... today I am very philosophical, ask for excuses by this, I look like Aristoteles, the Greek philosopher, And already I give shame :o

Ps: Today only I have taken water, though it does not seem :P

Edited by Sweet

Scientific research has actually shown that people can actually switch off the discrimination 'feature' in their brain as long as you ask for it explicitly. If you don't ask for it, discrimination is always a factor in the decision-making process.

All things aside, I think it's quite strange that people are in favor of positive discrimination based on geographical location ("there must be Australian qualifier") and positive discrimination based on financial possibilities ("make it possible for everyone to compete in online qualifier"), but are suddenly heavily opposed to any discrimination based on gender.

What's the difference?

I'm not a huge fan of the "region system" used in OC competitions, and in alot of other sports as well, FYI.

The fiiancial discrimination isn't really what you say it is, it's exactly the opposite! It allows more people to COMPETE, it's not like x number of spots are handed out to people who have less money to buy new HW. Skill is not related to cost of the HW, so when you make some sort of qualifier you can just as well use low end parts available to the masses.

I dunno. Kinda started this thread to find out what women want ().

Sure you did, keep telling yourself that :P

So tell me again, how many women post on these forums every day ?

Now take that number of zero and tell me how a thread here was ever going to tell you what women want ?

What's the difference?

For one, you still need to win your qualifier, be you man or woman. There is nothing stopping anyone based on gender.

So tell me again, how many women post on these forums every day ?

Now take that number of zero and tell me how a thread here was ever going to tell you what women want ?

I know at least 5. That's more women than Kiwis :D.

Anyways, you don't have to be a mathematician to see the common trend here. Well, at least I tried.

• Crew
Anyways, you don't have to be a mathematician to see the common trend here. Well, at least I tried.

To change habits is to start doing something about it, and you have already begun.

That alone is already very good, no?

My wife and my doughter are very grateful for this ;)

For that discrimination (positive or negative) exist, it's only necessary that nobody do anything (adaptation by Sweet )

Edited by Sweet

I know at least 5. That's more women than Kiwis :D.

You know 5 women that post on these forums every day ?

Go on, name them :P:D

I just don't get where you are coming from, there is nothing, zip, zero stopping anyone taking part in almost any comp anywhere (please no one bring up money)

If anything, your thread makes out they are not as good, and would need a free ride. Don't you think thats insulting and incorrect all at the same time.

Why divide up qualifiers based on geographical location when skill must be the only pre-requisite? I mean, if all the top overclockers live in Europe, why bother having US or Asian competitors?

Do you read your own site.

13 out of the top 20 (and the top two for that matter) are not in Europe

http://hwbot.org/rankings/overclocker/worldwide