HWBOT Community Forums

All-female OC team at MOA/GOOC/... ?

I just don't get where you are coming from, there is nothing, zip, zero stopping anyone taking part in almost any comp anywhere (please no one bring up money)

If anything, your thread makes out they are not as good, and would need a free ride. Don't you think thats insulting and incorrect all at the same time.

Actually, not at all.

All I'm saying is that it's possible women currently don't get involved because of reasons other than skill. Meaning I assume skill is present and wonder how come they don't join live competitions that often.

If there's any circumstancial reason why women don't often join competitions (as an overclocker, not as a side-kick), perhaps that can be partially removed by giving a higher chance on qualifying.

Or as everyone else puts it: "I want to give a million free tickets to anything that looks slightly like a women". "For teh moneys"

Do you read your own site.

13 out of the top 20 (and the top two for that matter) are not in Europe

http://hwbot.org/rankings/overclocker/worldwide

I said IF, by which I meant: "if the vast majority of the top overclockers are from a specific region, is it okay to also have the vast majority of a live comp being selected from that region".

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well.... what % of male overclockers participate in qualifiers? 1%/ 5%? Hell.... 10%?

What % of overclockers participate in qualifiers? 1%? 5%? 10%?

What % of computer users overclock

What % of overclockers BENCH

What % of males have more than a passing interest in how computers work, overclocking etc?

What % of females have more than a passing interest in how computers work, overclocking etc?

You're trying to solve the "problem" at too high-a level.

Really... at the mo, just ask the female overclockers why they don't compete instead of looking at it as a "societal problem"

Make some gender stats (I guess you can enter this info somewhere, at least in the forum CP?). Then you remove those who have below x boints (maybe 100?), to remove those who only have a really minimal chance of qualifying for a live event. Then you can figure out what % of active OCers with a certain amount of skill that are female and post it here. You'll probably find some women, but not so many that it's weird that there are very few in live events.

Massman, so what do you personally think about it? -)

I suppose we need some more detailes about the main point(-s) of giving a free ticket to female OCers team to get more complex and thought-out answer.

Does anybody want to involve more girls into OC? It's a wrong strategy then. The same as somebody would like to involve more men/boys into sewing/embroidery by giving one free ticket to the needlework competition (if there is one of this kind:)).

Just for extra live OC fun? Definitely 'yes' in this case, why not?

For being the first company which actively involves girls into OC and getting additional promo by hundreds of news and reports all around the IT e-world concerning this fact? Again 'yes', but they shouldn't try to ask the community then.

id feel very sorry for female oc team.. just look what happen to jasmine after meeting some oc'ers..

All women would not react like that. Put mink in that same situation and she'd have laughed at you, thrown a drink in your face or kicked you in the nuts.

Massman, so what do you personally think about it? -)

I suppose we need some more detailes about the main point(-s) of giving a free ticket to female OCers team to get more complex and thought-out answer.

I think it's definitly worth considering and not so far out as some seem to think it is.

I assume/know there are some women out there who are well-capable of fitting in with the sub-top of the extreme overclockers. That we hardly see women compete for the victory, meaning: not just accompanying their male friend, makes sense mathematically, I guess, but might as well have an underlying cause. I think it's possible this cause might be due to the environment (overclocking scene is very male-dominated) or due to slim odds of qualifying (why bother showing up as the chances for qualifying are not great).

In any case, I'd be very happy to see more women enter the live competition scene and if having a fixed seat for a women-team in the final can be an incentive for them to start participating, I'm definitly in favor. Even if that means other people call it discrimination, gender-bias or 'an opportunity to crossdress'.

While I would like to see more of the fairer sex present at these events outside of garish booth babes, reserving a seat at the table for women due to them being underrepresented in our hobby is wrong. I have no hard numbers but just going by the last ~8 years of participating in overclocking I believe I have met in person TWO women who dabble in overclocking and know of maybe half a dozen women who overclock. To say women are in the minority in our hobby would be a massive understatement. However, their gender, from the hobby, isn't holding them back.

Sure, like any male dominated event, women will be mobbed by inarticulate men wanting attention but this isn't preventing them from participating in what is largely an non-contact hobby. I imagine 85% to 95% of my time is spent solo grinding out lengthy benchmarking sessions with the other times situated around weekend marathon group sessions at events that we travel to. There is nothing stopping women from participating in this online hobby unless you want to delve into gender roles, shaping of interests by society, and natural inclinations that predispose men towards technology-based hobbies and women towards social hobbies.

In closing, I feel by doing this it will only make make a bad situation worse. We already have big issues between quantities of disposable income between regions and region specific competitions in general. Do we also need to now bring gender into this? What happens when a much more qualified male overclocker isn't able to go to MOA/GOOC due to that Xth spot being reserved for a woman? The reverse can't be said because a more qualified female overclocker can compete with all the males and whoop up on them fine.

Now, where are these women you speak of? Boy would I love to see some prettier faces at these events besides all your ugly mugs. I've tried encouraging girlfriends to join me in overclocking but they don't find it interesting..

tl;dr -> Women! Overclocking doesn't favor a gender. We have other problems to worry about. Cash money millionaire. Boobies, because I have a 12 year old mentality.

• 2 months later...

The idea of a female team is good, but why with free ticket? All teams need participate and win stages and events to get the ticket to the finals (eg: MOA).

I had never go to any of those contest, but even that I think that all teams (male, female or mix) should show the skill that they have and win the ticket to the finals.

What's next? If it's a free nOOb ticket, count me there :)

Dont care...

However, free tickets due having a wetspot between them legs isnt really a good approach... Overclocking is patience, desire, money, tricks - equal chances for men & women, it isnt about strengh or driving skills...

However, the positive change would be that it would bring women that one isnt required to check with flour if they have a wet spot or not - as with the current female overclockers.

• 3 weeks later...

Can't believe I missed this thread. Almost being a female myself (although an ugly one with a penis), I believe the problems are the following:

1) Few girls, if any, are top overclockers. There's nothing to say they can't become top overclockers, but nobody else than top overclockers should go to MOA/GOOC, etc, imho. It should be an elite select of overclockers, battling out against each other. Hence, no danes ever make it far (except, again, Nanok & Noxon). (Myself? Blind luck.)

2) Say that maybe nobody knew who that "elmor" was. Say he/she/it was totally anonymous. If he/she/it was respected and got invited to an event like MOA/GOOC, and turned out to be a she, she'd drown in so much attention, that it probably would exhaust her, just because she was a girl, and that was out of the norm. It's sort of the same thing with girls who do motorsports or stuff like that, they're all (or become) objectified to a level that it's sickening. It would end with everyone (especially Pt1t) trying to get in elmor's pants, constantly, for the entire lenght of the event. That becomes tiring after a while.

Well, I could probably elaborate on that rubbishly explained idea, but the bottom line is if a girl goes somewhere where there's males present, something just goes wrong. A 50/50% (or at least closer than one in 25 teams) distribution of females/males would be better and make it feel much more natural. Think of it this way: if a guy (apart from the fact that he's obviously gay) goes to a ballet class and is the only of 25 students, would all the girls hit on him? I think not. If a girl goes to an overclocking event, everyone will. That becomes tiring in the long run.

Put mink in that same situation and she'd have laughed at you, thrown a drink in your face or kicked you in the nuts.

Quit fantasizing about my girlfriend. :D