HWBOT Community Forums

Dancop - Core i3 6320 @ 6433.7MHz - 6sec 79ms wPrime - 32m

DarkVenom

Awesome score.

What's up with those ES though? They clock much better than retails.

Don't get me wrong, but it's very discouraging for the average joe :/

I think it's cause most scores on retail are just random chips, still there are a few decent ones around

http://hwbot.org/submission/3095736_namegt_gpupi_for_cpu___1b_core_i3_6100_8min_14sec_87ms/

http://hwbot.org/submission/3090385_achill3us_gpupi_for_cpu___1b_core_i3_6100_8min_20sec_723ms/

Yes it is probably possible to find as good retail. But binning i3 seems harder than 6700k and they are very hard to find at 6.4 ghz multicore stable.

Also there seems to be a bit of a trend with very good ES right now. I don't mind, it is always nice to see good results.

Could it be the case that retail i3 and i7 are made out of different silicone (and hence different scaling) whereas i3 ES are made out of i7 silicone and have two cores disabled?

Exactly my thoughts, the die on retail i3 is different from the 6700k. At least when it comes to size.

Could it be the case that retail i3 and i7 are made out of different silicone (and hence different scaling) whereas i3 ES are made out of i7 silicone and have two cores disabled?

There is no reason why they would bother making an engineering sample with i7 silicon and name it i3. The whole point of engineering samples is to validate functionality and the "Core i7" and "Core i3" are nothing more than strings.

Branding i7 silicon with an i3 string for validation purposes would only make things more confusion.