HWBOT Community Forums

Old School Havana in Canada

Massman

A little far to go for me, that one is in Vancouver. I've actually been to the Toronto location, at least I think it was a FreeGeek - same idea though a community based recycler that had volunteers doing the work. They let me walk through the disassembly warehouse but they turn over the old/vintage/obsolete motherboards/chips so fast for e-waste that there was only half a dozen retail boards there (most of it was OEM stuff). Interesting place though and great to walk through.

My best/worst memory of a gold/metal recovery place nearby that let me walk through their warehouse. They had an actual mountain of motherboards. Literally, 15 ft tall of motherboards sitting on the floor that was being fed into a machine that smashes/grinds them into little pieces. When I asked the manager there if they have someone that goes through looking for valuable or retail boards, he just shrugged and said whats the point? They get a pile that big every day. A little sad really. Although I did grab 5 or 6 AGP cards that I saw laying around. Saved them!

When I asked the manager there if they have someone that goes through looking for valuable or retail boards, he just shrugged and said whats the point? They get a pile that big every day. A little sad really. Although I did grab 5 or 6 AGP cards that I saw laying around. Saved them!

Aaahhh

Recycling companies are responsible for the loss of many great boards of the past.

The actual history of computing getting vanished ?

Cant blame them though.

Anybody know how to find this type of place? I'd love to find a recycler here in Chicago where I could walk in, buy a boat load of chips, and walk out.

The way I found the largest one in the area is following the trail back from bins that you can see all over my city. They are those bins you can throw e-waste into, I called them and found out where they sell their stuff to. Sometimes they are listed, but mostly not. But I drive around a lot for work so whenever I see a place, I just walk in and ask to look around. Mostly they are happy to, sometimes not.