HWBOT Community Forums

OLD SCHOOL IS BEST SCHOOL SEASON 2 ROUND 4 DISCUSSION

RomanLV

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, for me s479 is much more interesting... simply because when benchmarking P4 -> no LN2 = no chance to get decent score.

The point is not that interesting - The point is that disturbed the whole beautiful picture of the season

1999 year - 1999 desktop processor (socket). 1999 desktop videocard. 1999 3Dmark

2000 year - 1999 desktop processor (socket). 2000 desktop videocard. 2000 3Dmark

2001 year - 2001 desktop processor (socket). 2001 desktop videocard. 2001 3Dmark

2003 year - 2003 notebook :eek: processor (socket). 2003 desktop videocard. 2003 3Dmark

2005 year - 2005 desktop processor (socket). 2005 desktop videocard. 2005 3Dmark

For 479 can be a separate competition. Or a new mixed season (such as was the season 1)

And the point is that in other rounds is forbidden to use adapters, but here on the contrary - in fact forced.

Edited by RomanLV

The point is not that interesting - The point is that disturbed the whole beautiful picture of the season

1999 year - 1999 desktop processor (socket). 1999 desktop videocard. 1999 3Dmark

2000 year - 1999 desktop processor (socket). 2000 desktop videocard. 2000 3Dmark

2001 year - 2001 desktop processor (socket). 2001 desktop videocard. 2001 3Dmark

2003 year - 2003 notebook :eek: processor (socket). 2003 desktop videocard. 2003 3Dmark

2005 year - 2005 desktop processor (socket). 2005 desktop videocard. 2005 3Dmark

For 479 can be a separate competition. Or a new mixed season (such as was the season 1)

And the point is that in other rounds is forbidden to use adapters, but here on the contrary - in fact forced.

Socket 479 is what alot of us overclockers used back then in our desktops just like alot used XP-M CPUs for socket A, and most of the results in stage 3 will be made with XP-M CPUs that are.. notebook CPUs!

About adapters, I dont think adapters have been forbidden in any stage, just that this is the first stage they made sense to use. Like you could use an adapter to run your 478 cpu in a 423 motherboard but it makes no sense as a 478 motherboard is beter.

The competition is simply about runing the best avalible hardware at any given time, and that meens mobile CPUs for socket A, 478 (and most likely 754). I actually expect to see some scores with a 478 cpu run in a 775 motherboard with adapter for this stage aswell

Maybe we should make season 3 adapter madness? ;)

Socket 479 is what alot of us overclockers used back then in our desktops just like alot used XP-M CPUs for socket A, and most of the results in stage 3 will be made with XP-M CPUs that are.. notebook CPUs!

CPU! But not socket. It is an indicator of skill overclocker. But that that we have - just ... the presence of the possibility of having an adapter. ADAPTER, non CPU, as it was in previous rounds. That's why I say - it is not round of processor 479 - it is round adapter 479.

PS XP and XP-M have one core (Barton for example), and here (478)- a completely different processors. About this and speech (478 is a mobile too - for example this - http://hwbot.org/hardware/processors#key=pentium_4_m_18ghz ) but not Dothan!

About adapters, I dont think adapters have been forbidden in any stage, just that this is the first stage they made sense to use. Like you could use an adapter to run your 478 cpu in a 423 motherboard but it makes no sense as a 478 motherboard is beter.

NO! I can not find the link, but repeatedly stated that if the slot-1 CPU, it means slot-1 CPU, not motherboard slot-1 (and this is right IMHO)

Maybe we should make season 3 adapter madness? ;)

Good idea! ;) But not necessarily old school, can be special competition.

• Crew
But that that we have - just ... the presence of the possibility of having an adapter. ADAPTER, non CPU, as it was in previous rounds. That's why I say - it is not round of processor 479 - it is round adapter 479.
Absolutely not necessary. If you wish, you can use 478CPU+478 board and 479CPU+479 board.

PS XP and XP-M have one core (Barton for example), and here (478)- a completely different processors. About this and speech (478 is a mobile too - for example this - http://hwbot.org/hardware/processors#key=pentium_4_m_18ghz ) but not Dothan!
How about s754? ;) need some links for the cores or you can find them? Not to mention, the mobiles work in only a small number of boards (some Sempron64 cores - in a very small number). Don't see how this one is any different.

CPU! But not socket. It is an indicator of skill overclocker. But that that we have - just ... the presence of the possibility of having an adapter. ADAPTER, non CPU, as it was in previous rounds. That's why I say - it is not round of processor 479 - it is round adapter 479.

NO! I can not find the link, but repeatedly stated that if the slot-1 CPU, it means slot-1 CPU, not motherboard slot-1 (and this is right IMHO)

Good idea! ;) But not necessarily old school, can be special competition.

Adapters has been part of computers and overclocking for a long time, overdrives, slockets, 479. It's not something crazy wierd. And as stated previously, there are pure 479 boards out there as well.

All stages requires particular hardware, what's so wierd one "requires" (it doesn't even) an adapter?

As someone else said, an Slot A t-bird is much more rare and expensive than this adapter...

Absolutely not necessary. If you wish, you can use 478CPU+478 board and 479CPU+479 board.

Two various socket in 1 round. About this speech.

How about s754?

What is 754? One architecture, only various process technology, and cache size. Exactly the same as the socket 478 - Willamate-Nortwood-Preskott. But dotlan more logical to architecture 478A(Tualatin)-SocketM-SocketP

Even 939 is closer to 754, than 478 to 479

Marquzz

Did I say something against the adapters?

I am against THIS PARTICULAR adapter in THIS PARTICULAR season.

I'm completely agree with Marquzz

Adapters has been part of computers and overclocking for a long time, overdrives, sockets, 479. It's not something crazy wierd. And as stated previously, there are pure 479 boards out there as well.

All stages requires particular hardware, what's so wierd one "requires" (it doesn't even) an adapter?

As someone else said, an Slot A t-bird is much more rare and expensive than this adapter...

If overclocker does not have some hardware, he must buy it :D or find alternative way as Socket 478 is to be. For me was a trouble find good motherboard on S423 and there is no any alternatives in 2-d Stage, so in this way it is not difficult to find S479 or S478 boards and cpu's.

And of course true HW addict must have a lot of specific adapters, special versions of boards, & etc special stuff, because he knew about them and know how to find them.

Kojima45

for ROUND 4 all is in description 478+479, think we are going to dispute about future competition.

Yes. Ruined good season :(

At first I thought - it was the most thought-out season.

It is also good aidea for new OLD SCHOOL SEASONs.

Why OLD School? 479+adapter It not old - rather, it is unique School. Could make a separate competition and not to spoil this.

But as I realized what is done is done. Hopefully in the future will be more thought out.

I had nothing against the more rare voodoo5, slot-a, s423 and much more. Because there all was according with theme.

PS I have CT-479, so that business not in it, if you think

Edited by RomanLV

Yes. Ruined good season :(

At first I thought - it was the most thought-out season.

PS I have CT-479, so that business not in it, if you think

I just noticed (havent seen it earlier) , there is a pure 478 stage in an other ongoing competition.

So , you can still have fun , with your 478 hardware.

Have a look here

http://oc-esports.io/#!/round/roadtopro_challenger_season2_division7_round1

Would be better if an adapter was used there.

Will repeat

2003 year - 2003 notebook processor (socket). 2003 desktop videocard. 2003 3Dmark

Spoiled harmonious series

And there, in challenger, nothing would not it was spoiled

• 3 weeks later...