HWBOT Community Forums

AMD Ryzen Blender Challenge

Massman

intel score poorly on this?

vUvI713.jpg

Perhaps intel should have kaby running xtu on one side and amd with a black screen on the other smh

Intel is fine on Blender... Throttling issues maybe?

Anyway, for this challenge should we use default 200 samples or 100 like AMD used in Ryzen demo?

Edited by NoMS

@I\.nfraR\.ed

Really interesting - can you (and others) try on Windows with the build that The Stilt posted here:

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/first-summit-ridge-zen-benchmarks.2482739/page-114#post-38629328

He and others had huge gains, because it seemed that the 2.78a build for Windows was not taking full advantage of AVX.

For the sake of the Blender Challenge I think those should be limited to the official binary for now?

@I\.nfraR\.ed

Really interesting - can you (and others) try on Windows with the build that The Stilt posted here:

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/first-summit-ridge-zen-benchmarks.2482739/page-114#post-38629328

He and others had huge gains, because it seemed that the 2.78a build for Windows was not taking full advantage of AVX.

For the sake of the Blender Challenge I think those should be limited to the official binary for now?

Shaved 1 minute off. Still ~10 sec slower than Linux, but I'm on a very old Win 7 installation. It might be better on e.g. 10.

So I guess the official Linux build is newer than official Win build.

PS: Checked both timestamps and they match: both are compiled on 24.10.2016.

Wonder if there will be such an improvement if someone compiles the linux version (update: building it right now).

v2.78.4 for Linux (UNOFFICIAL, compiled from source)

blender-2.78.4-unofficial-linux_x86_64.tar.bz2

Edited by I.nfraR.ed

• 2 months later...