HWBOT Community Forums

XP Install on KBL - USB Dropout on Install

I'm loosing my hair trying to work this out but I've run out of ideas.

See below;

IMG_0948.jpg

After loading the FiraDisk driver & AHCI drivers from the earlier page I get to the first install page. As soon as I'm presented with this page my keyboard switches off.

I've taken the keyboard out of the port and then plugged it back in so it's working again but I get no response on this page.

I've tried another 2 keyboards and get the same thing. I've tried different USB 2 & 3 ports and it happens every time. I've not got a PS2 converter to try that though.

At this point I can't install XP. I've done everything else fine with the process from the XP install guide but it shouldn't cause my USB ports to switch off when I get to this page. Plugging them back in gives them power again but I can't do anything on this page.

Using Z270 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM.

Any ideas?

Are you using a special ISO of XP? I've tried to install XP on the Z170 Xpower board and after hitting F5 and choosing MPS Multiprocessor PC, setup halts for me.

Didn't bother with that. I followed the ASUS guide - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-E2IRjLOeFwbGlIWWwzT1hWRHM/view

No issues at all. Z170 may be different, IDK.

Just using a standard copy of XP PRO 64. I don't have any of the USB working except my keyboard & mouse in Windows. I have to connect the HDD to my main PC to drop any files over onto it and then connect it back to the test bench so I can install CPU-Z, SPI etc.

XP 64 eh? I've been trying XP 32-bit, maybe I should change. Still odd that it freezes at "Setup is starting Windows." Never gets to a point where I can select hard drive/partitions.

Maybe try an old HDD? - I'm using an old WD1000DHTZ VelociRaptor but I connected it to one of the two ASMedia SATA ports and opted for IDE mode. No issues here.

FYI, my Samsung 850 PRO works fine in the Intel SATA ports in AHCI too. Anything is worth a try!

I can only assume the Z270 board has proper ACPI support for XP if you don't have to select MPS Multiprocessor mode. Still, other guys did manage to get XP to install in the Z170 Xpower with MPS mode, not sure what's going wrong on my setup. Will pose the question in the dedicated thread.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I can only assume the Z270 board has proper ACPI support for XP if you don't have to select MPS Multiprocessor mode. Still, other guys did manage to get XP to install in the Z170 Xpower with MPS mode, not sure what's going wrong on my setup. Will pose the question in the dedicated thread.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Z270 XPOWER has ACPI support from BIOS 108.

This is meant to be your board Tom, you can't go round asking questions like that :P

Ha. It didn't occur to me that to install XP I needed to enable "Windows 7 Installation".... :P

Didn't bother with that. I followed the ASUS guide - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-E2IRjLOeFwbGlIWWwzT1hWRHM/view

No issues at all. Z170 may be different, IDK.

Just using a standard copy of XP PRO 64. I don't have any of the USB working except my keyboard & mouse in Windows. I have to connect the HDD to my main PC to drop any files over onto it and then connect it back to the test bench so I can install CPU-Z, SPI etc.

Get yourself a PCI -Expres USB 2.0 Host Controller Card with NEC chip. You can use it for keyboard, mouse and most importantly flash storage

https://www.amazon.com/Syba-Expres-5-port-Host-Controller/dp/B0026I4DZ2/ref=pd_sim_147_5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=HRS489ZV8Z6MJEEB4V0Q

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
With help of barebonet i made his 2 os compatible with z270.

You can download the Tib from here,it takes you 30 seconds to install and be in windows.

XP64 support for z170/270 - Mostly for 3Dmark2001,it has moded inf for 980 ti integrated

Xp32 support for z170/270 - Used for spi32m

What needs to be done to change those into a burnable ISO image?

• 5 months later...
I'm loosing my hair trying to work this out but I've run out of ideas.

See below;

IMG_0948.jpg

After loading the FiraDisk driver & AHCI drivers from the earlier page I get to the first install page. As soon as I'm presented with this page my keyboard switches off.

I've taken the keyboard out of the port and then plugged it back in so it's working again but I get no response on this page.

I've tried another 2 keyboards and get the same thing. I've tried different USB 2 & 3 ports and it happens every time. I've not got a PS2 converter to try that though.

At this point I can't install XP. I've done everything else fine with the process from the XP install guide but it shouldn't cause my USB ports to switch off when I get to this page. Plugging them back in gives them power again but I can't do anything on this page.

Using Z270 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM.

Any ideas?

z170 ahci drive can be modified to be installed