HWBOT Community Forums

S775 Deliding (succesfull with delide die mate 2)

Hi all, I thought I would try a delide on my "defective" E8600. At least I thought it was...

Of course this serie has soldering beneath the IHS. I thought I'll take the "risk" and see what happens.

This is the E8600 before deliding.

attachment.php?attachmentid=5760&stc=1&d=1498815582

This is where I placed it in Der8auers delide tool.

attachment.php?attachmentid=5761&stc=1&d=1498815582

After deliding it I noticed the Soldering was softer then I expected. I could remove it a bit with my nail.

attachment.php?attachmentid=5762&stc=1&d=1498815582

The die might have survived the "trip".

attachment.php?attachmentid=5763&stc=1&d=1498815582

After cleaning it I settled with this.

attachment.php?attachmentid=5764&stc=1&d=1498815582

I thought I would still do a quick test on a slower REX (I thought it would not work anyway but still, what the heck...).

attachment.php?attachmentid=5765&stc=1&d=1498815582

Oops it was still working!

Or working again?

Anyway: Deliding it was succesfull because the soldering seems to be soft enough or I was extremly lucky.

Trying it is (of course) on your own risk!

Edited by Sparks.nl

It works great, thank you for your great tool.

Edit: Since the CPU ran a little hot (didn't make full contact under the IHS, I removed the glue:

attachment.php?attachmentid=5766&stc=1&d=1498828769

attachment.php?attachmentid=5767&stc=1&d=1498828769

Edit 2: I tried an OC with the CPU (idle CPUz testing)

It was supposed to be a binned CPU. Since it never worked before all scores are new.

Temps seem to be fine, 1.42v for CPU (and 1.46v for NB).

attachment.php?attachmentid=5768&stc=1&d=1498831433

I am running it on air with a Zalman Cooler and an Airco at 35cm distance.

Edited by Sparks.nl

I tried deliding a second CPU (also E8600), it seems to have survived as well.

I will test it later, but it didn't always post so it could be hard to test.

I will show results in this post.

Edit:It seems successfuly delided (not tested yet)

attachment.php?attachmentid=5770&stc=1&d=1498838935

For getting of the remains I used a credit card.

This CPU has a hole in one of the pins in the other side, so testing it is hard.

Edited by Sparks.nl

I will have to find out.

I was just tying and hoping it was actually working and got lucky.

I tested it on my 2 dead/half dead cpu's. So to really test I will need to delide a good cpu (which I didn't test on cold yet because my Cascade is still defective...).

The first cpu I delided did 635MHz fsb (after delide) and I know this board never went higher then 625 on the selected NB voltage.

Is that because it is a good cpu, or because it gets better temps?

I never tested the cpu before because it was RIP.

I had to delid half of my E7400s for testing the core, because the TIM was so bad that the CPU would thermalthrottle under load with 1,4V and NH-D14...

I actually never cared about using the delid die mate for 775 since the PCB is extremely sturdy compaded with skylake for example, but nice to see it can also be done with the tool from roman :D

I have noticed gains of about ~50MHz across the board on E7400s that didn't thermalthrottle before too, so definetly worth it for chips that aren't soldered (e1x00, e2xx0, e7x00 etc) :D

What I wouldn't advise is delidding C2Q CPUs, i have tried it on three dead Q6600 and one two I destroyed one of the DIEs...

Here a few of my delidding experiments: C2D E6300, Xeon E5335, Opteron 6128, Pentium D 820, Pentium E5300, Pentium E2160

img_0382gnshk.jpg

Edited by TAGG

• 2 weeks later...

So I got my DDM2 today and tried to delid some 775 CPUs. Two dead E8400 all good and delid fine. Dead Pentium D = knocked a sliver of metal up off the delidded edge and breaks the tool.

Exactly what happened was: I put in the CPU and lined it up, tightened the screw with the allen key, kept going as it seemed rather stiff, stopped to find the delidding edge had started cutting across the top layer of the CPU - damaging both the IHS and itself.

To get it to work now I need to make a shim of kitchen towel and put it under the CPU.

It seems that some of the older CPUs are shorter than the CPUs this is designed for. So watch out with trying random CPUs.

@der8auer

Edited by Noxinite

Recently tried delidding some 775 CPUs, the new version of the tool works like a charm, even after 10+ beers.

However, did not notice any gain on Cedarmill. Had a CPU that used to run super hot (Celeron D 352 D0, soldered), thought delidding might help, but ended up getting same or worse clocks.

Recently tried delidding some 775 CPUs, the new version of the tool works like a charm, even after 10+ beers.

However, did not notice any gain on Cedarmill. Had a CPU that used to run super hot (Celeron D 352 D0, soldered), thought delidding might help, but ended up getting same or worse clocks.

Huh, you had no issue with damage to the delidding edge when doing Pentium D/Celeron D?