HWBOT Community Forums

Have a single or a few stages for Xeons and titans

Jumper118

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very very good point

If it turns out to be a TEAM comp, most definetly one person can submit in each n every stage as many times as needed.

The need to have multiple different members will not be the case here. If you are a 1 man/woman team or a team of 100+ members makes no difference.

I believe the best option would be to make it a MEMBER comp this go.

Yes look to have it for early next year if possible.

Sorry for chiming in so late on this. Wondered if there might be merit in looking at specific cores in some of these cases?

Dempsey is a far cry from Harpertown on S771, for example, so each might be deserving of its own stage - not to mention the myriad of cores in between. Barcelona/Istanbul on S1207, MC/AD on G34, Sledge/Italy on S940 - also good examples where one realistically cannot compete against the other, hence maybe deserving of a unique stage.

I wouldn't necessarily wanna get locked into only ever benching one set of chips for each platform but instead having a chance to investigate a number of different generations on each. I mean not always - but some of the time. Thoughts?

Sorry for chiming in so late on this. Wondered if there might be merit in looking at specific cores in some of these cases?

Dempsey is a far cry from Harpertown on S771, for example, so each might be deserving of its own stage - not to mention the myriad of cores in between. Barcelona/Istanbul on S1207, MC/AD on G34, Sledge/Italy on S940 - also good examples where one realistically cannot compete against the other, hence maybe deserving of a unique stage.

I wouldn't necessarily wanna get locked into only ever benching one set of chips for each platform but instead having a chance to investigate a number of different generations on each. I mean not always - but some of the time. Thoughts?

I'd be down for that, right now whatever stages there are I'm planning on benching s771, fx, and lga 1366 up to 2p for all of them. CPUs are relatively cheap but boards can be $$$.

Always eager to hear from a fellow server enthusiast ;)

Without limiting too many stages too much :D, how would you include some of what you suggested here?:

Stage 1:

SINGLE SOCKET (0ne CPU)

939 (opterons only) SP1

G34 x265 1080P

775 (xeon only) PiFast

2011 x265 4K

STAGE 2:

DUAL SOCKET (2 CPUs)

940 = 3DM03 (any single GPU)

G34 = 3DM06 (any single GPU)

1207 = 3DM11 (any single GPU)

771 = Fire Strike (any single GPU)

1366 = Vantage ( no limit on GPU count)

2011 = GPUpi (no limit on GPU count)

STAGE 3

TRIPLE SOCKET (3 CPUs)

Any socket that can run 3 CPUs = GPUpi 1B for CPU

Stage 4

Quad Socket (4 PUs)

1207 CB15

G34 y-cruncher 10b

2011 GeekBench Multi-Core

1567 Wprime1024

Stage 5

Bring what you got, no number of cpu limits any server socket(s) goes

1: GPUpi 100m

2: RealBench HWbot

3: CB11

I'll put some thought to it this weekend. As a collector, it's sometimes hard for me to remain cognizant of what is reasonable to expect others to have or acquire for comps like this. Maybe I'm the only one here with Dempseys and nobody else is even remotely interested in going out and acquiring those old, hot, slow chips. (But historically fascinating seeing as how Woodcrest was released mere weeks later!)

I'll put some thought to it this weekend. As a collector, it's sometimes hard for me to remain cognizant of what is reasonable to expect others to have or acquire for comps like this. Maybe I'm the only one here with Dempseys and nobody else is even remotely interested in going out and acquiring those old, hot, slow chips. (But historically fascinating seeing as how Woodcrest was released mere weeks later!)

I think it depends, I like the idea of doing stages by socket count, but I also kinda would prefer doing by socket and socket type if only because about the time I was looking at a quad socket g34 board and es opterons I realized that I'm 19 and even if I live at home I should probably reduce my OC budget a little. So it'd be nice to just have a stage where I could go to town on my sr-2 or on quad fx for a weekend or two with a few benches, especially if I end up finding a second phase for a really good price. But also it make sense to just do by socket count, cause otherwise it'd be a full stage for 1p 1366, a full stage for 2p 1366 etc. Anyways, whatever the comp ends up being I'll compete in the benches I have hw for, and if I can only hope to win that bench for that stage then so be it! :D

I also kinda would prefer doing by socket and socket type

I fully agree - and this is how Jumper envisioned this thing to begin with in the OP. Would give us all a chance to focus in on a platform for a while and eek out as much performance from it as we can. The more I toy with ideas in my tiny brain, the more I keep coming back to this round-by-socket formula.

I fully agree - and this is how Jumper envisioned this thing to begin with in the OP. Would give us all a chance to focus in on a platform for a while and eek out as much performance from it as we can. The more I toy with ideas in my tiny brain, the more I keep coming back to this round-by-socket formula.

Yeah, I'd prefer the chance to really learn a socket instead of the hecticness of team comp where some platforms I had to learn in like an hour just to get them benched. But I'll be interested for whatever the comp ends up being.

The one thing we have to keep in mind is that you cant have a comp based solely on what you or I may have.

It must be open as much as possible to allow for others that may have different HW to enjoy themselves as well.

Example being some of the HW I laid out in the comp I dont have, but it wont stop me from participating with what I do have ;).

We still have a few months to go before we try to get this up n running, so between now n then the stages and HW are open for any type of change &/or adjustments. I set it up just to get this going, because we can discus it all day n night but if nothing gets started it wont go any where.

I know not everyone will like what we end up with but thats always the case. I just want to see as many as can show up. Not very interested in a 1 or 2 man comp.

The one thing we have to keep in mind is that you cant have a comp based solely on what you or I may have.

It must be open as much as possible to allow for others that may have different HW to enjoy themselves as well.

Example being some of the HW I laid out in the comp I dont have, but it wont stop me from participating with what I do have ;).

We still have a few months to go before we try to get this up n running, so between now n then the stages and HW are open for any type of change &/or adjustments. I set it up just to get this going, because we can discus it all day n night but if nothing gets started it wont go any where.

I know not everyone will like what we end up with but thats always the case. I just want to see as many as can show up. Not very interested in a 1 or 2 man comp.

That's partially why I was thinking doing a single socket per stage, cause a lot of people will see all the hw you need to do every bench for a stage and won't even bother even if they have an sr2. So doing a stage based around lga 1366 2p, or g34 4p for example would be much better.

Pretty much that would limit it to 2 to 4 socket types correct?

Popular or not there are a lot of server socket types that some may have that others may not.

How about if everyone here each create 2-stages consisting of 5 benches each stage of whatever HW, Bechmark, limitations they would like to have included in the comp.

So far we have:

Jumper118, Dead Things, yosarianilives, unityofsaints, mr.paco, skulstaton, havli.

I believe that with the input of others that havent shown up yet should pretty much make most happy ( not all) with the out come.

That way everyone here can have what they want in the comp.

I may have misread it, but his actual request was to try and have a sever stage included in one of next big comps like Team Cup or Country Cup.

What we are trying to do here is put together a server only comp

Hi Mr. Paco, et al.

Yes, I think you are right about that (^). Still I found I had trouble fathoming anything but a round-by-socket design when attempting to design stages. So I went ahead and did it that way. I hope you are able to find this helpful in some way:

INTEL SOCKETS

S775/S771 (Xeon-class processor required)

- Stage 1 = 2 cores on 1 socket, SuperPi 32M

- Stage 2 = 4 cores on 1 socket, 3D Mark 01 SE w/ GeForce 8000/9000 (single card)

- Stage 3 = 4 cores on 2 sockets, PC Mark 05

- Stage 4 = 8 cores on 2 sockets, Cinebench R11.5

S1366 (Xeon-class processor required)

- Stage 1 = UP Bloomfield/Gainestown, PiFast

- Stage 2 = UP Gulftown/Westmere, 3D Mark Cloud Gate w/ GeForce 200 (up to 3x SLI)

- Stage 3 = DP Gainestown, wPrime 32

- Stage 4 = DP Westmere, GPUPI 1B

S1155/S2011 (Xeon-class processor required)

- Stage 1 = UP Sandy/Sandy-E, Aquamark w/ GeForce 400 (up to 2x SLI)

- Stage 2 = UP Ivy/Ivy-E, 3D Mark 01 SE w/ Radeon HD 7000 (up to 4x Xfire)

- Stage 3 = DP Sandy-E, HWBOT x265 1080p

- Stage 4 = DP Ivy-E, Geekbench3 Multi

S1151/S2011-3 (Xeon-class processor required)

- Stage 1 = UP SuperPi 32M

- Stage 2 = UP Catzilla 1440p w/ AMD R5/R7/R9 200/300 (single card)

- Stage 3 = DP 3D Mark Vantage w/ Nvidia GeForce 900 incl. Titan-M (up to 4x SLI)

- Stage 4 = DP Cinebench R15

AMD SOCKETS

S939/S940 (Opteron-class processor required)

- Stage 1 = 1 core on 1 socket, PC Mark 04

- Stage 2 = 2 cores on 1 socket, Aquamark w/ Radeon HD 2000 (up to 2x Xfire)

- Stage 3 = 2 cores on 2 socekts, Cinebench 2003

- Stage 4 = 4 cores on 2 sockets, 3D Mark 05 w/ GeForce 7000 (up to 4x SLI)

S1277 (Opteron or FX-class processor required)

- Stage 1 = DP Santa Rosa/Windsor, PC Mark Vantage

- Stage 2 = DP Santa Rosa/Windsor, 3D Mark 06 w/ Radeon 5000 (up to 3x Xfire)

- Stage 3 = 4P Barcelona/Shanghai, GPUPI 100M

- Stage 4 = 4P Istanbul, wPrime 1024

G34 (Opteron-class processor required)

- Stage 1 = DP Magny Cours, 3D Mark Sky Diver w/ GeForce 700 incl. Titan-K (up to 3x SLI)

- Stage 2 = DP Istanbul/Abu Dhabi, Geekbench 4 Multi

- Stage 3 = 4P Magny Cours, Y-Cruncher 10B

- Stage 4 = 4P Istanbul/Abu Dhabi, HWBOT x265 4K

I didn't bother going back to Socket 603/604 or earlier, because I figure that's OSIBS territory. I also didn't mess with 4P 2011+ because I figure that's IT pro/elite territory. I also tried to mix in various GPU combos with an eye towards 1) some limited degree of era-appropriateness and 2) maxing out some of the bigger scores that could benefit most from the MP Xeon/Opty chips. Hopefully at least some of this will be helpful to you. If not, that's cool too. I had fun designing it, so if this is as far as it goes, I'm still happy!

edit - I should note that in my mind the UP/DP requirements can include populating just 1 socket on a DP board or 2 sockets on a MP board and that's totally legit.

Edited by Dead Things

This looks great!

I like the idea of allowing 1/2P configuration also in 4P stages as it greatly increases number of people who can compete in there. 4P boards are not that common, so it is nice to have a possibility to use for example higher clocked 2P config which is not as fast but can do at least something. :)

ES allowed or not? For example G34 Opterons ES have unlocked multiplier which makes them very OC friendly. :D

Btw - I think you meant socket 1207 (not 1277) and Opteron Interlagos (BD gen1) instead of Istanbul for G34 stage.

What no 8 socket stages??? :P:D

I do like it.

Personally I wouldn't have limited so much like specific cpu cores AND/WITH a specific gpus. Just to allow more to play that may have limited server HW and combinations, but if thats what it takes then I'm all in where ever I fit in ;)

If all goes well this go around there will be chances to mix things up other ways ;)

Question; Like on 939/940

stage 3 - 2 cores on 2 sockets: I understand this as a total of 2 dual-core cpus one in each socket. Correct?

But then in stage 4- 4 cores on 2 sockets: I understand it as a Quad-core cpus in each socket :confused:. I maybe wrong, but 939/940 dont come in Quad core.

Then on 775/771

stage 3- 4 cores on 2 sockets: I understand this a quad-cpu in each socket, Correct?

But then you have stage 4- 8 cores on 2 sockets: I understand this as an 8-core cpu in each socket. As far as I know there are no 8-core 771 cpus :confused:

I think Dead Things meant it like this:

S775/S771 (Xeon-class processor required)

- Stage 1 = 2 cores on 1 socket .......... -> 1x Dual-core (like 1x Xeon 5130)

- Stage 2 = 4 cores on 1 socket .......... -> 1x Quad-core (like 1x Xeon X5450)

- Stage 3 = 4 cores on 2 sockets .......... -> 2x Dual-core (like 2x Xeon 5130)

- Stage 4 = 8 cores on 2 sockets .......... -> 2x Quad-core (like 2x Xeon X5450)

S939/S940 (Opteron-class processor required)

- Stage 1 = 1 core on 1 socket .......... -> 1x Single-core (like 1x Opteron 144)

- Stage 2 = 2 cores on 1 socket .......... -> 1x Dual-core (like 1x Opteron 175)

- Stage 3 = 2 cores on 2 socekts .......... -> 2x Single-core (like 2x Opteron 248)

- Stage 4 = 4 cores on 2 sockets .......... -> 2x Dual-core (like 2x Opteron 280)