HWBOT Community Forums

How to bench Sandy, Ivy, Haswell and Broadwell CPUS if 6.4.x becomes mandatory ...?

bolc

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't XTU only compatible with the last 3 generations of Intel cpus ? s

To clarify: the XTU team validates functionality with the last 3 platforms for each major release. This does not mean that older platforms are not supported, it just means that functionality is not validated.

The overclocking interface for Intel CPUs has been standardized a lot since Sandy Bridge compared to older generations of hardware. This helps for better legacy compatibility :)

digitally signed driver ? Is that it BOLC ... haha pain.

Thanks my man & Ev0lv3 on useful post.

Yes, thanks to Ev0lv3 ! KB3033929 solves it all !

The other method also works (going to Test Mode + manually verify the iocbios2.sys driver)

Now is time to solve a corrupted ME firmware on a M5G :o

I have two more Sandybridge processors to bench before I abandon this generation for good, should I bench on 5.2 XTU or install Win 8.1 32bit and bench the latest XTU version? I'm asking just to be sure :P

till Nov 1, nothing excludes you from benching with 5.2.x on whatever OS you want ; in fact you could bench on 6.4.1.12 on your actual Win7. first oyu need to remove XTU, install KB3033929, then install 6.4.1.12.

as of Nov 1. 6.4.1.12 will be mandatory. you can keep benching on Win7 after installing KB3033929, or move to Win8.1, Win10.

If you plan to cotinue benching XTU later, moving now to 8.1 32 bits might be the best choice

Ps: I am no moderator but I think I understood the rules right :D

If you plan to cotinue benching XTU later, moving now to 8.1 32 bits might be the best choice

Ps: I am no moderator but I think I understood the rules right :D

Thanks for the answer, that's what I was thinking of doing ^^

I wanted to try XTU on 8.1 for ages now, and I guess it should be fine performance wise for Sandybridge. Ah who cares, I'm just having some fun with my SS @ -40*C, so I'm not aiming for top places :D

hey bolc, I've been using this IME for my maximus iv extreme p67 Download Asus Maximus IV Extreme Intel Management Engine Interface 7.0.0.1118 for Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows XP 64 bit, Windows Vista 64 bit, Windows 7, Windows 7 64 bit Will it work on win 8.1 or do I need to download another one?

Edited by George_o/c

I wanted to try XTU on 8.1 for ages now, and I guess it should be fine performance wise for Sandybridge. Ah who cares, I'm just having some fun with my SS @ -40*C, so I'm not aiming for top places :D

hey bolc, I've been using this IME for my maximus iv extreme p67 Download Asus Maximus IV Extreme Intel Management Engine Interface 7.0.0.1118 for Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows XP 64 bit, Windows Vista 64 bit, Windows 7, Windows 7 64 bit Will it work on win 8.1 or do I need to download another one?

all the good stuff regarding ME firmware and IME is here:

Forum - Intel Management Engine: Drivers, Firmware & System Tools

I have flashed all my ME firmwares now... I suggest you flash your firmaware (under DOS, using FTK7 tool https://github.com/LongSoft/FTK/releases/download/0.11.1/FTK7_0.11.1.zip and the latest formware available on win-raid.com for consumer 1.5 Mb for the 6-series chipset, rev 7.1.x = Intel ME Firmware v7.1.80.1214 (1.5MB)) then install the latest IME driver (Intel MEI Driver Installer v11.7.0.1037)

Edited by bolc

my USB key with WIn8.1 32bits is also ready...

a SS -40C is nice to have against my delidded ivys or untouched sandy (2500k coming!) + AIO 240 setup... !

which Sandy will you torture? :D

I am curious to find out which ram multiplier is best for sandy ;)

++

Edited by bolc

I've seen your X265 scores on celeron G4xx, very nice ;)

I am coming with a G465 on M5G or M5F, whichever is best for bclk. Nice ram you have in 2300 6-10-6 ! And nice cpu holding 2133 ram multiplier! Between the 1080p and 4K you switched ram coeff from 1866 to 2133, with same timings. Is 4K too demanding ?

Will see if i go hypers at 2000ish 7-7-7, or psc at 2300 7-10-7

Hope to come not too far for global :D

Edited by bolc

I've seen your X265 scores on celeron G4xx, very nice ;)

I am coming with a G465 on M5G or M5F, whichever is best for bclk. Nice ram you have in 2300 6-10-6 ! And nice cpu holding 2133 ram multiplier! Between the 1080p and 4K you switched ram coeff from 1866 to 2133, with same timings. Is 4K too demanding ?

Will see if i go hypers at 2000ish 7-7-7, or psc at 2300 7-10-7

Hope to come not too far for global :D

I think G470 is better because of higher multiplier (if I'm not mistaken). The CPU needs to be fairly good on air/water in order to gain just a little bit on SS :D Mine benched x265 and XTU at 107.5 with aircooling and went to 109.5 on SS. You need to tune the BCLK skews in order to max it out, find what's best for your CPU. Also tune the voltages, for example mine doesn't like system agent voltage higher than 1.1V. For some reason VCCIO helped with stability when I set it at ~1.18V.

After 108 bclk I started encountering some problems with the 1:8 divider, no matter what RAM timings I was using. I spent a LOT of time and managed to get it stable for XTU @ 109 bclk, after looping XTU for 3 times though, system crashed again :P Geekbench for example was not ok with the 1:8 at 109 bclk, neither was x265.

That's why I switched to 1:7 for really high bclock. Had a small drop in performance but system is fully stable and you can practically just boot, fix your subtimings, and bench :D I believe if I had Hypers at ~1030MHz 7-8-7, my scores would be a bit better. No reason for 1:8 divider if you are going to use Hypers ;)

Now regarding Globals, I tried so hard to go for the first place on x265 4k, mainly because the system has to be stable for 50 minutes, or 1h30m if you use overkill. It's so difficult to get 0.61 though :D I squeezed some runs at 109.5 bclk but again got 0.6 :D Same goes for XTU, it's incredibly difficult to get more than 80 marks. I tried RAMs at 6-10-6, 7-10-7, 7-11-7, 8-12-8, then dropped to 1:7 divider and tried 6-9-6 with super tight subs, always the same score, 80 marks... Must have seen 80 marks like 30 times, but still no 81 LOL.

Anyway, I only have Cinebench and wPrime left and then I'll stop torturing the G470 and move to i7 2600 (non-K model) and 2500K. I've already tried 2500K, on SS it maxes out at 54 x 100.5 but I can still get some hardware points so I'm cool with that.

Thanks a lot for the information and good luck with your benches too :celebration:

I think G470 is better because of higher multiplier (if I'm not mistaken). The CPU needs to be fairly good on air/water in order to gain just a little bit on SS :D Mine benched x265 and XTU at 107.5 with aircooling and went to 109.5 on SS. You need to tune the BCLK skews in order to max it out, find what's best for your CPU. Also tune the voltages, for example mine doesn't like system agent voltage higher than 1.1V. For some reason VCCIO helped with stability when I set it at ~1.18V.

After 108 bclk I started encountering some problems with the 1:8 divider, no matter what RAM timings I was using. I spent a LOT of time and managed to get it stable for XTU @ 109 bclk, after looping XTU for 3 times though, system crashed again :P Geekbench for example was not ok with the 1:8 at 109 bclk, neither was x265.

That's why I switched to 1:7 for really high bclock. Had a small drop in performance but system is fully stable and you can practically just boot, fix your subtimings, and bench :D I believe if I had Hypers at ~1030MHz 7-8-7, my scores would be a bit better. No reason for 1:8 divider if you are going to use Hypers ;)

Now regarding Globals, I tried so hard to go for the first place on x265 4k, mainly because the system has to be stable for 50 minutes, or 1h30m if you use overkill. It's so difficult to get 0.61 though :D I squeezed some runs at 109.5 bclk but again got 0.6 :D Same goes for XTU, it's incredibly difficult to get more than 80 marks. I tried RAMs at 6-10-6, 7-10-7, 7-11-7, 8-12-8, then dropped to 1:7 divider and tried 6-9-6 with super tight subs, always the same score, 80 marks... Must have seen 80 marks like 30 times, but still no 81 LOL.

Anyway, I only have Cinebench and wPrime left and then I'll stop torturing the G470 and move to i7 2600 (non-K model) and 2500K. I've already tried 2500K, on SS it maxes out at 54 x 100.5 but I can still get some hardware points so I'm cool with that.

Thanks a lot for the information and good luck with your benches too :celebration:

I will read carefully :) Interesting about eh bclk skews. Familiar with P45 cpu and mch skews, but not on newer chipset, will have to dwelve into that to get higher bclk.

Ram ratio and bclk go opposite: lower ram multi = higher bclk, and lower timings, so a trade off to find.

I have done my 8.1 32 install, benching i3 4160 on XTU... will see if I can beat my previous score. On 7 64 I got stuck at the same values using cas7 instead although having a higher bclk...! hope I can take a few more xtu points :D

EDIT: baseline score identical between 7 6 and 8.1 32 :o

OK confirmed. nonK Skylake scored same on old XTU 6.0 vs this new mandatory XTU 6.4.

Testing was z170 OC Formula ... 12-12-12-28 1T rams. My x3 bios saves all similar ... with slight difference on ram timings.

10x runs per 3x bios profile saves all scores " nothing below 738 XTU score" i3 6320

Then the new XTU tested same way 3x runs in each bios profile saves. Exactly same " nothing below 738 XTU score "

_______

If anything I may need slightly more V core on the latest XTU version ... as a restart can result machine switches off ... unrelated? PSU?

G470 is better but much harder (and expensive to find)

Your advise on VCCIO was excellent, thanks ;) helped a lot to do 107+. I have not played with bclk skews. They are given form -19 .. 0 .. 19 I believe. Any tips were to start? :D

I also try to boot with bclk as high and close as possible than the target. so 106+, with ram almost all set to best values, and fine tuned few timings before starting.,

Sopmething else I noticed, trying to go to high bclk straight will bsod crash, but going +0.2, then bneching, then +0.2 then benching, helps to go higher. on G465, that takes a long time but eventually I could make 0.59 fps on 4K like others, and a decent 2.31 on 1080p.

Too much Vcore is useless too, actually counterproductive even, given the cpu runs at low frequency and never exceeds 40C on a small AIO 120mm.

I need to improve my scores of a G4160 now, not the best x2 cpu but fairly decent. Cpu is delidded/relidded, waiting top go on my new M7I :D

But I guess the most fun will be the next sempron 145 and AMD x2 -> x3, and x3 ...

Edited by bolc

OK confirmed. nonK Skylake scored same on old XTU 6.0 vs this new mandatory XTU 6.4.

Testing was z170 OC Formula ... 12-12-12-28 1T rams. My x3 bios saves all similar ... with slight difference on ram timings.

10x runs per 3x bios profile saves all scores " nothing below 738 XTU score" i3 6320

Then the new XTU tested same way 3x runs in each bios profile saves. Exactly same " nothing below 738 XTU score "

_______

If anything I may need slightly more V core on the latest XTU version ... as a restart can result machine switches off ... unrelated? PSU?

I also get Switch OFF on XTU crash, which I didn't have before. No toher bench software does this.

Good to see that 6.0.x (and others) and 6.4.x bench the same scores. In my case, 7 64 = 8.1 32 in terms of score, probably but not sure yet because I minimise the services opened. will test once more on Haswells, and my latest 4790k doing 5 @ ~ 1.27 V :o

Older Antec Quattro. As they are multi 12V rail. Current draw? I'm uncertain ... so swapped psu for modern one.

But not same issue.

XTU would complete fine. Plenty of time ...1x minute even to save score + XTU file.

So then just do a restart of the motherboard & it would switch off completely. Volts too low on processor?

Yep I don't get it anyway ... unstable for sure.

Just doing the mandatory XTU 6.4 for now ... little point to the older ones with only 5-6 days remaining grace period.

Wish the 7350K here would stick x52 multi ... bugger!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone. I am having a bit of an issue. I am noticing a common xtu score of 1300ish with the 6600k clocked between 4.3~4.5GHz. I have mine at 4.9GHz with RAM at 4000 MHz 16-18-18-35. I can only get at score of 1008 at the highest. I am using the ASRock Supercarrier motherboard and benching in Win7. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!