HWBOT Community Forums

Bullant - Core i3 540 @ 5534MHz - 6min 59sec 375ms SuperPi - 32M

unityofsaints

3 hours ago, ground1556 said:

Chip might not be that amazing for core clocks, but that efficiency and QPI make up for it! Great score! How is scaling with QPI clock btw?

Yeah have few different chips, and most go ok on scaling QPI but is a couple that won't go quite as high

Lewis you should have a play, it's a nice platform 

thanks guys 

Edited by Bullant
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, TaPaKaH said:

I had done 6min22 run at 6440MHz on this CPU. Given that I had to upload my best score at once (a practice I did't normally follow) this means that there was an immediate necessity to do so, as in a comparable or better score.

Nice chip, if your finished with it I'll happily take it of your hands, maybe that chip is possible sub 6min 

This wasn't a 50-pointer category back in the day, so I sold the chip immediately after producing the scores. If it helps your or anyone else's search, here's a picture of it and here's what its core was capable of on aircooling.

There's no way you can approach 6 mins with i3-540. At this sort of CPU and hence BCLK clockspeed, you have no choice but to run mem at x3. Uncore is locked at x16 and QPI will generally not go above 5200-5400MHz even on LN2. And efficiency/PP-wise, you can't do much better with x23 multi, x3 mem, x16 uncore and x18 qpi. The only thing you can push is BCLK, meaning a sub-6 run with above multis would require around 297x23 (~6.84GHz), which I do not think is possible both on CPU and board side.

Edited by TaPaKaH

Yeah I was just having joke with ya sam, yeah has so many limiting factors with blck oc. This CPU of mine is the only 540 I've tested, as not want to pay lot for them 

i would need to test test more with psc but dropping qpi multi down one and pushing memory along with qpi to say 5000-5300 again more blck 5600-6000ghz CPU  would fly, along with the nb freq boost....given it's good CPU along with it plays nice on cold PSc.Ive not tested psc on the 540 tho 

Edited by Bullant

1 hour ago, TaPaKaH said:

This wasn't a 50-pointer category back in the day, so I sold the chip immediately after producing the scores. Luckily, I still know where it is :D

There's no way you can approach 6 mins with i3-540. At this sort of CPU and hence BCLK clockspeed, you have no choice but to run mem at x3. Uncore is locked at x16 and QPI will generally not go above 5200-5400MHz even on LN2. And efficiency/PP-wise, you can't do much better with x23 multi, x3 mem, x16 uncore and x18 qpi. The only thing you can push is BCLK, meaning a sub-6 run with above multis would require around 297x23 (~6.84GHz), which I do not think is possible both on CPU and board side.

Any idea how QPI scales from Dice temps to LN2? I have an 540 here that does 5.13 QPI easy on Dice at 1.4V VTT. Chip is pretty solid too, 4.8 with HT at 1.4V on air easy, though I've seen better on air too.

Edited by ground1556