HWBOT Community Forums

Binning data request

Well I can tell you that Allendale chips (E2140/E2160/E2180/E2200) are a crap shoot and can have both CPU core and FSB walls. And I don't think the batches are consistent either (for FSB). However, I can tell you that any G0 Allendales you find are soldered.

Edited by Noxinite

i7 920 common data:

- batches 3845A to 3849A are the typically binned chips. Best chips I've seen so far of these batches can do 4.5/1.24V 32M on air or water, 230-240 BCLK air and scale to 5.4 (though thats really rare)
-batch sorry enough people are buying this batch now so I’m removing all data I can is a more exotic batch that I recently stumbled over; as far as I could tell by limited data nobody besides me seriously binned this range. I've so far found a W3520 and an i7 920 that are both doing 4.5/1.2-1.21V on air for 32M; the W3520 scaled to 5.53 32M 1.45V easy on Cascade and is probably not at its limit. The 920 I tried testing on LN2 but it was, at least for me, far too hungry to be controllable at all. 5.45 1M at 1.45V was the max I managed with about 15L of LN2 in maybe 1 1/2 hours (chip is insanely leaky - heats up the pot by 20° with an F1 pot during 1M). Gonna test that chip on a strong cascade when I get around to it again. So far had about 4 chips in this range and all did 5.2+ and seemed to scale to ~1.55-1.61V depending on the temperature (the lower the less voltage scaling). The W3520 also does 5.3 GHz uncore at 1.55V VTT on Cascade which seems quite nice. 

With 45nm there seem to be a lot of chips that don't seem to scale with voltage at all (even with the good batches), some not even scaling beyond 1.5V on LN2. Have seen a couple chips that did 4.5/1.3V air and could barely do or couldn't even manage 5GHz on LN2. 

Much later chips can sometimes be quite nice but those you would need to bin a lot of. Of my 12 W3530s (all 3040-3150 batches) I had one chip validate >5.3 and scale with a ton of voltage (saw scaling up to 1.8V during post and 1.75V booting up).

Edited by ground1556

1 hour ago, Mythical tech said:

Thank you both for sharing. @Noxinite when you bin cpus do you buy single cpus or lots of them. I just got a lot of 300 775 cpus for 80$ off ebay and was wondering if it is a bad idea or not.

Lots of 775 as then it's much cheaper overall.

Or buy other people's binning rejects, bin those chips and sell any spares. :D

12 minutes ago, Noxinite said:

Lots of 775 as then it's much cheaper overall.

Or buy other people's binning rejects, bin those chips and sell any spares. :D

As above, I have many spares which would be good enough for top 2 or 3s of some CPUs but would obviously want to keep the very best for myself. So it depends what you're after really. 1st places or just a good points haul.

to make things quicker with E2180s you can bin for FSB also. You're going to want to make sure they boot at least 450FSB if you plan on taking them on LN2 at any time. So if you set a profile for 450fsb boot and you don't power down on the wall, you can keep switching CPUs quickly to find those that boot at that FSB and those that don't, then do the slower volts/Core clock testing afterwards on those that passed the initial test.

34 minutes ago, Mythical tech said:

Does this fsb wall raise under cold or am I missing some important setting? If the latter I will keep tinkering. Any help is appreciated.  

Yes, cold helps with fsb wall. I would expect an average of +5% FSB when moving from air to SS. High vpll may also help but it is dangerous (some of my binned CPUs degraded very quickly - i.e. they were binned for 450 air, then I was able to hit 480 with ss + vpll >2.5v but after 1.5-2 hours of benchmarking they won't be stable higher than 460-465 mhz - see my Cel430 as an example). Oh the other side, I was using vpll of 2.7-3.0v with my C2D E6400 for days with no notable negative effect to it.

I want actually study how high vpll affects the life span of C2D as I have many useless rejects, to be on a safe side with this voltage in future.

11 hours ago, Mythical tech said:

So I just went through 70 out of hundreds of my 2180's and I got about 23 that could do 450- fsb. Out of those only one could do above 460 and it hit 463. Does this fsb wall raise under cold or am I missing some important setting? If the latter I will keep tinkering. Any help is appreciated. 

For Allendales they scale upto about 2.2V PLL maximum for me on phase for Valid FSB, and you gain about 20MHz going from ambient to phase. However, I have heard that FSB doesn't really scale much below phase temperatures, hence why I think owning a phase is mandatory for binning 775.

6 hours ago, Mythical tech said:

@Noxinite what voltage and what test did to use for your core frequency test. I was using linx and am seeing how they compare. Either my chips are bad or I am using a lower voltage/different test. 

Only 1.45V and valid freq, so no load. This seemed to work well enough for most chips, as a lot of the Conroes/Allendales are limited by FSB (so fsb is more important).  For E8#00 recently I was binning them for R15 stable in 50MHz increments @1.45V as core is more important than fsb.

• 2 months later...
On 10/30/2019 at 6:02 PM, ObscureParadox said:

I think you just seem to have the same sort of luck I have with E2140s then. I've binned literally over 1000 of the fuckers and only found 3 that were ever worth taking on LN2.

My luck with my i7 920 was shit. 4.65 in 32m. I have three more coming but the first two were awful.