HWBOT Community Forums

Proposal: Change the time of year for Country Cup 2020

yosarianilives

Change Time for Country Cup 2020  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What part of the year should country cup 2020 be?

• Quarter 1 2020 (Jan-March)
    • Quarter 2 2020 (April-Jun)
    • Quarter 3 2020 (July-September)
    • Quarter 4 2020 (October-December, current comp time)

• Crew

13 to 12 is still a win, did you also subtract the mod that didn't vote for Q4 ? Or do you need 75% of the votes to get a win... 15 or 13 peeps want it to stay in Q4 that's how I look at the vote with sheer peasant logic. Now if eg. 12 voted for Q1 we could have changed, in this case we stick to the current format with minor changes to move it

Edited by Leeghoofd

3 minutes ago, yosarianilives said:

How can you say majority vote? Its 13 to 12 against q4 if you don't count mods

Because the mods aren't people? Its 13 people who would like CC in the first half of the year and 15 who want to keep it in the last quarter. 

21 minutes ago, Leeghoofd said:

13 to 12 is still a win, did you also subtract the mod that didn't vote for Q4 ? Or do you need 75% of the votes to get a win... 15 or 13 peeps want it to stay in Q4 that's how I look at the vote with sheer peasant logic. Now if 12 voted for Q1 we could have changed, in this case Q2 and 3 are defenitily no go's

20 minutes ago, ground1556 said:

Because the mods aren't people? Its 13 people who would like CC in the first half of the year and 15 who want to keep it in the last quarter. 

Didn't see any mods vote for not q4. Anyways the reason I think that just moving it a few weeks isn't sufficient is as I said, the whole month of November and December is a no go for most people in the US for any kind of event because it's already such a packed time of year. I can't speak for other countries as I know AU seems to be able to make the sacrifice for CC, presumably because their team members actually give a shit if they win and also because they live in a country that mandates significantly more vacation time be allowed. This seems to be confirmed by a large portion of the people who voted for q4 being from AU and the rest being from EU with 100% of the US/Canadian  vote going to times other than q4.

Not saying that we should cater comps to the culture of one or two countries but it seems like we would get more participation running comps during parts of the year that aren't already crowded by non OC things. So we should try to find a time of year that isn't bad for the country that has the most members by almost 3 times the second most membered country.

• Crew

Most members but seems not many want to defend the flag... you only need a max 5 sores and with hundreds of active benchers you guys could easily dominate Country Cup

We have the same stuff here in Europe, end terms & festivities all over the place in December. Man we move family aside a few weekends to bench with others, pretest or bench each nite individually. Dedication, planning and determination is what is required to win Team Cup or Country Cup.

Honestly this ain't merely a Bot date issue but maybe more a regional attitude problem. Hopefully my post makes the blood boil and you guys will be back with a vengeance!

Nuff said, Q4 it was and still is

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Leeghoofd said:

Honestly this ain't merely a Bot date issue but maybe more a regional attitude problem. Hopefully my post makes the blood boil and you guys will be back with a vengeance!

Nuff said, Q4 it was and still is

I can't agree more, that's been my main complaint is that I can't even begin to organize a meet, I've tried the past 3 years and every year it's too close to the holidays for anyone to consider it. Of course in order for US to do a meet it is also significantly more travel than in EU so you really can't just do a meet on a weekend when you already have time off, which is a problem in the US where vacation days are very limited at most companies. Are you gonna tell your wife "No honey I can't go see meemaw for christmas because I have to get fake internet points" surely if you do you're sleeping on the couch for a month minimum, so people choose family over OC. In EU no only do most countries mandate more than a few days of vacation AFAIK, you also only need to take a few hour train ride max to get anywhere. Even in AU where the distance is much greater, AFAIK they all have a reasonable amount of vacation days.

Example: I'm lucky enough to have about 20 vacation days a year which is above average, but for example our contractor who handles phones gets 5 and that includes his sick days. The average being around 10 days.

Edited by yosarianilives

26 minutes ago, Leeghoofd said:

Most members but seems not many want to defend the flag... you only need a max 5 sores and with hundreds of active benchers you guys could easily dominate Country Cup

that was my point it's the most members but non show up because it's the worst time of the year for potential participation. The people who don't have family obligations are college students who have finals so basically anyone that could participate is busy with life. OC should be a hobby not your whole life/job.

• Crew

Looking at your new argumentation why would make it difference if you move the date if the amount of vacation days and co stays the same... you would still require to sacrifice family time.

I would strongly suggest to try to do a proper planning between the different teams, there's not even a need if you have enough active benchers to do gatherings. They make it more fun ofc, but usually if your are not focused, some people just bench the entire benchmark suite on their CPU or GPU iso just benching to maximize that one score...

Country Cup has been in Q4 for a decade, you know which period it comes, hardware specs and most stages were well known in advance this year.

I have to do the same for Computex year after year, arranging stuff at work and at home to ensure I can go... But I want to go and that's why I make it happen!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leeghoofd said:

It ain't a date issue, it's a  'who's doing the organizing'  issue. ;)

Problem with team US in the last few years, at least that I see, is people to participate seem to try to be hand picked ahead of time.

It's CC. The entire country is your team, not just the 6 guys you want to represent you.

Just a quick tip for the future:

When you over organize,  it sucks all the fun out of it.

No fun = bad attitude = no participate

Edited by Mr.Scott
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Mr.Scott said:

It ain't a date issue, it's a  'who's doing the organizing'  issue. ;)

If you can get people to bench plz do, but my understanding is you're in a team that's purposely not about getting people to bench.

I can only DM people I know to get them to bench, the rest I have to hope threads here and trying to build a discord community work. To a certain extent it has but also I'm never going to be able to organize the people who don't like me. I work on my personality since I know I can be a bit abrassive but I honestly don't believe I'm changing for the better fast enough to be the one to get team USA to give a shit about CC, and I've yet to see anyone else willing to organize people to bench on ln2.

20 minutes ago, keeph8n said:

I just want to bench...............

Me too, but what good does it do if I bench every stage on ln2 and can't get a full roster of others to do the same? I'm glad we can do a benchmeet ourselves this weekend, but I also get a bit jealous that teams like AU can do bench meets similar to our PA meet but during their CC :P 

1 hour ago, yosarianilives said:

If you can get people to bench plz do, but my understanding is you're in a team that's purposely not about getting people to bench.

I can only DM people I know to get them to bench, the rest I have to hope threads here and trying to build a discord community work. To a certain extent it has but also I'm never going to be able to organize the people who don't like me. I work on my personality since I know I can be a bit abrassive but I honestly don't believe I'm changing for the better fast enough to be the one to get team USA to give a shit about CC, and I've yet to see anyone else willing to organize people to bench on ln2.

LOL. it's impossible to structure only LN2 benchers for team events.

Shit like that is what puts off other potential members from even putting subs in. Nobody is going to waste their time if they know a half a dozen guys will just buy whatever hardware is needed and LN2 it all. People need to feel involved and appreciated, not kicked to the curb because they don't LN2.

THAT's why you're a shitty organizer.

In the last couple years that you tried to step into that leadership role, US participation has actually declined.

People don't like you. You're abrasive and conniving.

Sometimes the truth hurts.

Edited by Mr.Scott
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Mr.Scott said:

LOL. it's impossible to structure only LN2 benchers for team events.

Shit like that is what puts off other potential members from even putting subs in. Nobody is going to waste their time if they know a half a dozen guys will just buy whatever hardware is needed and LN2 it all. People need to feel involved and appreciated, not kicked to the curb because they don't LN2

You say that except teams with just as much separation, lower population to draw on, and generally less resources show up with all the best hw and do everything ln2. If you want to win you have to ln2 everything. 

But even then I've never said that people can't bench on ambient or discouraged people from doing it, I try to organize ln2 meets so people who wouldn't normally have access to ln2 can try it out. Imho if you have access to ln2 no reason not to try it, enthusiast league is a cesspool. 

40 minutes ago, Mr.Scott said:

In the last couple years that you tried to step into that leadership role, US participation has actually declined.

People don't like you. You're abrasive and conniving.

Sometimes the truth hurts.

Amazing that you say I'm in any leadership role, truthfully the most I've done is ask people if they'd like to meet for a comp and create a discord/spreadsheet for them to organize themselves. I've done very little telling people what to do or any of the like. If I'm associated with being "the lead" of the team USA effort that's unfortunate cause it's very not true. I see you talking shit about my efforts and yet I've never seen you try to contribute anything to team USA's success. Perhaps you should try getting your friends on warp9 team USA to bench if you actually give a shit about your country winning. Don't think of it as "benching for me" as you paint it, cause it ain't that. 

50 minutes ago, Mr.Scott said:

You're out of your fucking mind.

W9 is the most active benching TEAM in HWB. And has been for years.

I worded it badly, I was referring to your teams no obligation to bench clause. IE for team cups nobody is "expected" or "pressured" to bench. Despite how you seem to think, I do have the utmost respect for warp9. It's a team full of excellent benchers and the fact that it even competes with a team as huge as ocn for most overall pts is insane. 

30 minutes ago, yosarianilives said:

Amazing that you say I'm in any leadership role, truthfully the most I've done is ask people if they'd like to meet for a comp and create a discord/spreadsheet for them to organize themselves. I've done very little telling people what to do or any of the like. If I'm associated with being "the lead" of the team USA effort that's unfortunate cause it's very not true. I see you talking shit about my efforts and yet I've never seen you try to contribute anything to team USA's success. Perhaps you should try getting your friends on warp9 team USA to bench if you actually give a shit about your country winning. Don't think of it as "benching for me" as you paint it, cause it ain't that. 

I'm sure there are W9 subs in the CC bro. As a matter of fact, almost every single active W9 member has subs in for their respective countries.

That in itself is commendable.

See, we just like to bench too.

You give yourself too much credit. Nobody thinks of it as benching for you.

Edited by Mr.Scott
  • Like 1