HWBOT Community Forums

Geekbench 3.4.3

jfpoole

Geekbench 3.4.3 Beta 3 is now available for download:

https://geekbench.s3.amazonaws.com/Geekbench-3.4.3b3-WindowsSetup.exe

Beta 3 includes the following changes:

• Update how valid and invalid results are displayed to the user.
  • Update the Browser to display the validation status of Geekbench 3 results.
  • Fix benchmark initialization issues on HEDT systems.  Beta 3 should run much more quickly on HEDT systems than Beta 2.
  • Fix memory frequency detection.

Give it a try and let me know if you hit any issues.  If no other issues are encountered we'll most likely make this an official release in early March, and then start work on migrating the validation code into Geekbench 4 and Geekbench 5.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, keeph8n said:

Tried intel mainstream and HEDT.

Pre-Skylake is necessary to test this thoroughly otherwise there are two different clock domains for PCI/APIC/.. and CPU/...
This is a theoretical assumption of course, non-K SKUs of certain generations and modded H-mainboards might give positive results for APIC PM timer skewing as well.

Regarding the testing in general: We need to know what to test, blind testing is ineffective. A change log for the new timer validation or at least the strategy you are trying here would be necessary.

I was short on time the last two days, but did get around to it now.

I tested two scenarios:

Both scenarios were successfully detected as invalid, so that's a good step forward in the right direction.

As you are reluctant to answer any of my questions, I'm not able to effectively test any edge cases. If you are only using HPET via the CPU-Z SDK (my guess), there will be a number of other problems. For example disabling HPET in BIOS or switching HPET modes/setting the timestamp on-the-fly, HPET timestamp overflow, ...

It's an endless battle, that would need a combined effort to solve it for overclocking/benchmarking in general. But I guess I'm utterly alone with that vision and it's still every man for himself out there.

Edited by _mat_

@_mat_ I'm glad you were able to verify that Geekbench is now resilient against both BCLK skews and Win32 API hooks.  

It's less important how Geekbench implements these protections and more important whether these protections work.  If you don't have the resources to test the edge cases we can certainly look into including them in our regular test plan for Geekbench.  I would just need to know how to reproduce these edge cases so our QA team can reproduce them in our lab.

Edited by jfpoole
  • Thanks 1

On 2/26/2020 at 7:05 PM, jfpoole said:

@_mat_ I'm glad you were able to verify that Geekbench is now resilient against both BCLK skews and Win32 API hooks.  

Not really, but welcome to the endless battle.

And your application can still be hooked on every API call, starting with DeviceIoControl to feed you whatever as values you need to rely on. It's not a single feature to do things right, it's a strategy that begins with the first line of code and never ends.

On 2/26/2020 at 7:05 PM, jfpoole said:

It's less important how Geekbench implements these protections and more important whether these protections work.  If you don't have the resources to test the edge cases we can certainly look into including them in our regular test plan for Geekbench.  I would just need to know how to reproduce these edge cases so our QA team can reproduce them in our lab.

I helped you for the sake of the countless hours of work from this community that went into Geekbench records. I think my duty here is done.

Edited by _mat_
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, _mat_ said:

And your application can still be hooked on every API call, starting with DeviceIoControl to feed you whatever as values you need to rely on. It's not a single feature to do things right, it's a strategy that begins with the first line of code and never ends.

This is true of any application (even Benchmate) provided someone is willing to devote enough time to the endeavour.  I'm just glad we were able to fix the big issues that were of concern to the HWBot folks.

2 hours ago, _mat_ said:

I helped you for the sake of the countless hours of work from this community that went into Geekbench records. I think my duty here is done.

Thanks for your help!

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

We've integrated the fixes introduced in Geekbench 3.4.3 into Geekbench 4 and Geekbench 5.  Geekbench 4.4.4 and Geekbench 5.2.4 fix the issues that prevented both from being used on AMD systems running Windows 10 on HWBOT.

Both releases are available for download from the Geekbench website:

http://cdn.geekbench.com/Geekbench-4.4.4-WindowsSetup.exe

http://cdn.geekbench.com/Geekbench-5.2.4-WindowsSetup.exe

Let me know if you hit any issues with either release.

• Like 5

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...