HWBOT Community Forums

Intel opencl versions and performance in GPUPI 3.2

Guest TonyBombassolo

Guest TonyBombassolo

I did some software re-installs on my machine recently and found a small oddity with the Intel Open CL versions and the GPUPI 3.2 1b benchmark for CPU.

If you run GPIPU 3.2 with the Intel OpenCL 3.0 executable (for me, it failed every single time after step 4), even though I knew my rig was stable and had run this benchmark before, so I checked my screenshots of the past, to verify settings.

When I looked at the actual GPUPI 3.2 executable in my failed runs, it showed 

Allocated Device Memory: 80mb

When I looked at the successful runs I had done in the past, it showed 

Allocated Device Memory 335.56mb

At this point I noticed I had OpenCl 3.0 from 2022 instead of the Intel OpenCL 2.1 I had in my previous runs. 

So if you are running into repeated failures on GPUPI 3.2 1b for CPU, verify you have the correct OpenCL for Intel processors (unless you are AMD ofc)

Once I uninstalled OpenCL 3.0 from 2022 and reinstalled from the opencl_runtime_18.1_x64_setup.msi installer, everything worked perfectly.

I did have to reinstall GPU driver though because Intel uninstall removes it from GPU driver too for some stupid reason.

Edited by TonyBombassolo

• Guest changed the title to Intel opencl versions and performance in GPUPI 3.2
Spoiler

I ran into same problem a while back.

there were so many versions floating around. Intel and AMD. I just tried another and it was fine so I moved on.

you’ll notice that all the best scores for a particular cpu will use the same runtime. Someone has done the work already, as well as finding the best batch size and reduction settings.

one runtime is not best for all cpu.

before you start subbing check what runtime the leaders are using, and the parameters, for your cpu.

newer =\ better

Edited by L0wpull
  • Thanks 1

There are also different versions of the installer for open cl 2.1. one works fine and one gives error after loop 4. So make sure to use the one named 18.1, like example above. If it's named 2.1 it won't work, even though it should be the same version.

Edited by Rauf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

• 1 year later...
On 10/3/2022 at 10:42 PM, Guest TonyBombassolo said:

I did some software re-installs on my machine recently and found a small oddity with the Intel Open CL versions and the GPUPI 3.2 1b benchmark for CPU.

If you run GPIPU 3.2 with the Intel OpenCL 3.0 executable (for me, it failed every single time after step 4), even though I knew my rig was stable and had run this benchmark before, so I checked my screenshots of the past, to verify settings.

When I looked at the actual GPUPI 3.2 executable in my failed runs, it showed 

Allocated Device Memory: 80mb

When I looked at the successful runs I had done in the past, it showed 

Allocated Device Memory 335.56mb

At this point I noticed I had OpenCl 3.0 from 2022 instead of the Intel OpenCL 2.1 I had in my previous runs. 

So if you are running into repeated failures on GPUPI 3.2 1b for CPU, verify you have the correct OpenCL for Intel processors (unless you are AMD ofc)

Once I uninstalled OpenCL 3.0 from 2022 and reinstalled from the opencl_runtime_18.1_x64_setup.msi installer, everything worked perfectly.

I did have to reinstall GPU driver though because Intel uninstall removes it from GPU driver too for some stupid reason.

Thanks mate! Your above post helped me fix the same issue on my system

• 1 month later...
On 4/7/2024 at 11:58 PM, TASOS said:

Any chance you have any of the versions i am looking for ? (2021.4 - 2022.0 - 2022.1)

No, I am sorry I only have those two versions saved. Intel has a bad practice of taking down old versions of drivers when they are replaced by newer versions and I was lucky to have saved those versions because they are difficult to find. They do the same thing with XTU and there are some older CPUs that only work correctly with older versions of XTU.

Edited by Mr. Fox

4 hours ago, Mr. Fox said:

No, I am sorry I only have those two versions saved. Intel has a bad practice of taking down old versions of drivers when they are replaced by newer versions and I was lucky to have saved those versions because they are difficult to find. The do the same thing with XTU and there are some older CPUs that only work correctly with older versions of XTU.

Yeap , that's true and unpleasant.

2 minutes ago, Mr.Scott said:

I will check.  I may have those. 

Thanks Scotty

when testing different openCL version for G7400 the difference in scores are also noticable. Seems like a version of 1.2 is faster then 2.1 and 3.0. Not sure which one. 

Does anyone know which version is the fastest for Alder Lake non K ? thanks

Thank you, they're now available for everyone.

9 hours ago, looze said:

Nice collection @GENiEBEN and thanks for sharing! I `uploaded opencl_runtime_16.1_x64_setup.msi`, `w_opencl_runtime_p_2021.3.0.3372.exe` and `w_opencl_runtime_p_2022.0.0.3663.exe` to your upload link.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/11/2024 at 8:23 PM, kaliz said:

when testing different openCL version for G7400 the difference in scores are also noticable. Seems like a version of 1.2 is faster then 2.1 and 3.0. Not sure which one. 

Does anyone know which version is the fastest for Alder Lake non K ? thanks

Not sure if an older version is faster ...

People who know , will probably not tell.
But now at least you have most of the available versions in hand , so you can test for yourself.