HWBOT Community Forums

Country Cup 2024 Planning Thread

Don_Dan

19 hours ago, Dry_Ice777 said:

Because old platforms are cheap, popular and you don’t mind them. Try, experiment, solder something without any fear.
Not everyone can afford to overclock and put at risk home platforms that cost as much as 1 or more months' salary.
I am not asking you to replace all stages, please note. I suggested simply adding just one category, so that those who cannot afford expensive hardware could give battle to the top benchers)

You could could also turn this argument around on its head

Why would i go through the hassle of finding and buying some old junk hardware, tweak/use it for the lenght of the competion then throw it in the trash, instead of competing with the (modern) hardware i already have/own. Even think many ppl would learn many new things they can use for their daily modern systems, that they game on every day.

In the last few competitions/cups, what kind of hardware rules generated the most submissons ? (genuine curious)

Edited by Domdtxdissar

3 hours ago, Domdtxdissar said:

You could could also turn this argument around on its head

Why would i go through the hassle of finding and buying some old junk hardware, tweak/use it for the lenght of the competion then throw it in the trash, instead of competing with the (modern) hardware i already have/own. Even think many ppl would learn many new things they can use for their daily modern systems, that they game on every day.

In the last few competitions/cups, what kind of hardware rules generated the most submissons ? (genuine curious)

Every CC I can recall has had the need to hunt to find all the required gear for each stage. Adds to the intrigue.

• Like 1

Most country cups we've had a mix of old and new, i'd expect this year to not be too different in that respect. Hopefully less subs needed overall though. 

Having stages with newer hardware is good for getting newer benchers to participate since that's usually what they have. And well older hardware is fun and isn't super expensive to go out and buy if no one on your team has it. To me ideally the stage should require a decent breadth of hardware and it shouldn't be just the super popular stuff because that just leads to people who already binned and ran that stuff to just re-run which I think wouldn't be that interesting. On the other hand it can't be too obscure, that way everyone can aquire the hardware and we don't end up have only a few countries able to sub. 

Comps also kinda serve to help increase the amount of subs on underbenched hardware so I do try to suggest stages along those lines. 

• Like 2

On 9/16/2024 at 9:32 AM, Dry_Ice777 said:

Is it possible to add one more stage - old / ancient / dinosaurs stage?

We would be happy to work with such platforms as 370 \ 462 \ 754 \ 939 \ 478. As I understand it, soon we will also ask 775 \ 1156 \ 1366 \ AM2+ \ AM3+ to be moved to a separate branch 😅

+ 486 the last competition with it was 2015

cpu stage ideas:

- Intel coffee lake only, 4 differents CPU, geekbench 4 multicore score

- AMD- 7zip - am4, cezanne only - 4/6/8 cores 

I would like to also suggest a Country Cup with fewer stages than last year, as it rewards better quality subs

Edited by bl4ckdot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bl4ckdot said:

cpu stage ideas:

- AMD- 7zip - am4, cezanne only - 4/6/8 cores 

I would like to also suggest a Country Cup with fewer stages than last year, as it rewards better quality subs

have we had 1151 - 4 different generations? eg 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th gen?

Cezanne only seems fine, though the quad cores are a bit of a pain being oem only, maybe make it APUs only? Gives cezanne the edge, but allows 4300G or earlier APUs to play since those quads are more available

On 9/22/2024 at 4:55 PM, bl4ckdot said:

Doesn't that end up making it just kind of a potentially expensive stage of 9900K, 9900KF, 9900KS, and then like 8700K/8086K/9700K/KF? If anything, I'd adjust it to be more like 3 different core counts, no HT allowed (disabling HT allowed). Lumps the 9th gen i7s and i9s into the 8-core score, the 8th gen i7s and the 8th/9th gen i5s into the 6-core score, and then the 3rd score then still is the relatively less common 8350K/9350K/KF as the quad core score, while still leaving it within reach for the smaller teams where you could still use a locked i3 or one of the Pentium/Celerons  for that third score. Maybe even specifically allow mobile and Xeons (but not ES) for the stage to increase options for people with hardware meeting the core counts that may not have the normal desktop ones, since you have 2/4/6/8-core in mobile coffee lake (both locked and unlocked) and 4/6/8-core for Xeons.

I'm not necessarily advocating for this stage, but that adjustment would allow for a fairly wide range of hardware, where there should be plenty of options for each score, and maybe tries to accommodate smaller teams that might only be able to put 3 scores, rather than needing 4 to have the full team stage. Just my two cents.

wprime 32m - Pentium 4 dogpile

x265 - AMD DDR3 APU - divided by socket (AM1/FM1/FM2/FM2+) - 4 subs
ycruncher pi1b - 1366 - divided by core count - 3 subs

Mem freq divided by IC manufacturer - 2 DDR3 scores, 2 DDR4 scores - 4 subs

We discussed others in the show but these were the most fleshed out

Edited by Tech Tested