HWBOT Community Forums

The official HWBOT OC Challenge January 2012 thread.

Massman

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. Enabling more cores is allowed; disabling them is not.

Oh, I just realized it's configured differently. My bad!

Stages are based on stock CPU core_count and not on effective cores. Ie: in the 2xCPU category, you can technically use a quad socket system with 4 dual cores :).

I'll update the frontpage too so it's more clear :D

Oh, I just realized it's configured differently. My bad!

Stages are based on stock CPU core_count and not on effective cores. Ie: in the 2xCPU category, you can technically use a quad socket system with 4 dual cores :).

I'll update the frontpage too so it's more clear :D

so that, 1 processor will only allowed for 1 stage i.e. sempron 140 will allowed for 1x,555be for 2x,960t for 4x no matter how much the active cores,except disable the stock.

well then, ok.thx massman :)

Edited by eketehe

Yes.

I don't think you'll be first, though.

It's still silly. But I doubt it's relevant except for maybe 1x, where I bet the gain by getting another core is alot bigger than in the other cases. It also limits the number of tri core chips alot, unfortunately - I guess you have to either use Phenom 8000-series, Athlon II 400-series or Phenom II 700-series. But here we won't have multi socket issues:D

It's not a disaster, but it should be pointed out in the competition main page that you can use multiple sockets. It's also a bit weird that you can use multi-socket boards, but unlocking cores isn't allowed.

This is just feedback, that's why we run these competitions - then we see flaws we didn't think of, and remember till we have more serious competitions. But these flaws must be mentioned, or we wouldn't be aware that they exist:D

i think it´s no good idea to allow deleting results. if you try get the first place it´s your own risk ;)

this time i can´t compete, bekause i have just a eight-core system at moment :(

but i hope next time it will not be allowed to delete results when you try get first place and fail and than just try get 11th with a lower result... the more risk, the more fun :D

oh and please a benchmark, thats not used for boints. maybe aqunox or something like that :D

i can´t see allways the same scenes anymore xD

Edited by Luebke

I kinda understand the reason behind unlocking cores being disallowed. Imho, it's not necessary. Unlocking is only possible with AMD cpus. Valid cases are:

X1 -> X2

X2 -> X3/X4

X3 -> X4

X4 -> X6, however Zosma based X4 are very rare

So, only one practical case is X2-> X3. X1 and X3 are AMD territory, others are dominated by Intel. So, let's say I'm an ordinary bencher that have not much money to buy a CPU on demand, but have an unlockable X2 555 in my daily rig. What's the point in limiting me to the X2 category only and not letting me play X3 and X4 as well?

I think the main reason was pushing people to use an actual X3 processor, not an unlocked one. But that's the only valid case where it actually makes sense in some extend.

I don't see a problem using unlocked sempron in X2 category or unlocked Phenom X2/Athlon X3 for the X4 category.

Maybe add a rule so X3 category is only for "native" X3?

Okay, finally figured it our. I was right from the beginning except for the unlocking part. So, you can use any amount of sockets, but can't unlock your CPU.

The reason is rather technical. Simply said: unlocking only works for CPU-based benchmarks.

So, techically engine would allow you to submit a result with unlocked processor into the X2 category, because it only understands it as a dual-core processor. It counts the original model cores, not the actual. Since that's a 3D benchmark the usual hwbot rankings don't care about processor used, gotcha!

This makes it dificult (impossible?) to set the rules for the competition, so the engine would accept X2 555 @ X4 into the X4 category.

So, what if I unlock the CPU and submit it as X4 955 into the X4 stage? Just curios about this. It actually doesn't give me any advantage to original X4 955.

Edited by I.nfraR.ed