HWBOT Community Forums

Maximum Oc Percentage Compertition

sacha35

Ok Guys are you ready, if so get you engines started we have a great competition for all UK overclockers, the competition is all about overclocking to the maximum MHZ you can from the stock MHZ using only an air-cooled set-up, this can be of your choice, so no limitations to whatever setup or system you want to run. the best bit it’s in the comfort of your own lair, we invite you to generate the MAXIMUM OC PERCENTAGE possible.

Run CPU-Z on your rig at STOCK speed, then again once you have the OC set to MAX take a CPUz and email those links. The 12 fastest overclockers will be invited along to the finals.

Good luck lads I know you will do us proud.

All info can be found hear:http://www.benchtec.co.uk/forums/threads/9050-MAXIMUM-OC-PERCENTAGE-COMPERTITION

Not all E1200s have them. Then again, E2140 and Celeron 420 are options too, but they have the walls just as often as E1200s.
Celeron 420 is not an option, they have very crappy cores and very low FSB walls (usually ~420 on air)

E1200/E2140 - yes. I binned them for a while, my best chip only does 490 on air with finding a 500-capable (air) chip being my wet dream :D

Celeron 420 is not an option, they have very crappy cores and very low FSB walls (usually ~420 on air)

E1200/E2140 - yes. I binned them for a while, my best chip only does 490 on air with finding a 500-capable (air) chip being my wet dream :D

Believe me, I know everything I need to know about 420s.

image025.jpg

image034.jpg

image037.jpg

I had an E2140 (well, not me personally, but I benched it) that did ~505MHz FSB on air once. I struck a bit lucky with one 430 though, it did 536MHz FSB, then again, that was on LN2. Also comes with higher standard frequency, so it's a bit hard on air.

I don't know why I care, really. Xeon L3426 is also quite useful, come to think of it. Expensive as fuck though. If you can find someone with a bunch of retail L3426, give me a shout, I'd need a few, and not really interested in paying $300+ each.

I see what you mean :D Low multi + high turbo = easy 200%

L3426 is not "easy 200%", but it has potential. My one CPU I had last year barely did more than 5GHz. 1 core turbo is x24, 2 cores is x23. Core 0 was awful, it did about 4.87GHz or so, but Core 1 did this: http://hwbot.org/submission/2115889_mean_machine_cpu_frequency_xeon_l3426_5076_mhz

There should of course be a few better ones out there.

Maybe Deneb-based X2 5200 could do the trick as well, or even the OEM Athlons like 150u/160u/170u, but it would be tricky with those low multipliers. You'd need a very good board HT-Ref wise and the right settings.
AM2/AM3 boards can't technically do more than 500 HTT, that's 'only' 150% OC

@Mean Machine:

E2140 that did 505 on air, how did it go under LN2? Usually FSB-walled chips improve by ~30MHz by going from air to dice/ss and ~30MHz more to LN2.

I never got around to try. Come to think of it, it was actually an E4300 as well. It was before I had LN2 access, and the CPU was owned by a friend of mine. I wonder if he's still got it though, he owes me a favor for borrowing my HD5450 for a year now. :D

The best increase I had in BCLK wall was with my E6320, btw. That did ~530 on air, then 628 on LN2. Only tried a single chip though.

Looking good so far guys just got off the phone with ASUS and it looks like this will be one great compo with lots of toys for the contestants to play with.

More info as and when I receive it.

Don’t forget if you’re not in it you won’t win it, so why not have a go.

Looking good so far guys just got off the phone with ASUS and it looks like this will be one great compo with lots of toys for the contestants to play with.

More info as and when I receive it.

Don’t forget if you’re not in it you won’t win it, so why not have a go.

Are the 2 live events going to be air only?

• 2 weeks later...

Only 11 days left guys to get your highest % overclock into http://www.kitguru.net/site-news/com...-great-prizes/

I have been in talks with ASUS UK and there will be some great prizes for all the 12 finalist that have been invited to the grand Finals, it goes without saying though that the UK’s Top Overclocker for 2012 will walk away with an ARMY of prizes ready for some serous 2012 overclocking.

Don’t forget all entries must be submitted to asuscompetition@kitguru.net before the closing date of Wednesday 8th February

Good luck guys, looking forward to meeting the 12 finalist at the finals.