HWBOT Community Forums

Quick question about unreleased HW submissions

Are there any limitations/exceptions when submitting unreleased hardware for points?

For example I understand that CPU's/GPU's are off limits as far a points are concerned but what about using HDD's that are not sold for retail yet or a motherboard for instance? Is utilizing ram that is not yet available on the market acceptable when ticking that little box at the bottom of your submission entry?

Reading below the rules that were written I personally would say it is safe to assume that this means all technology....

Unreleased technology not applicable for HWBoints.

As the result of a recent on-going discussion at the Hwbot staff quarters, the HWBot crew has decided that as of the 1st of October (2009) unreleased technology, which is in other words still under NDA, will no longer be applicable for points but will be given a “no-boints” status. This means that hardware categories for upcoming new products will still be added to the database (e.g: HD 5870), that people will still be allowed to submit results of this new technology, that those results will still be ranked and visible to everyone in the World Records Page, but none of those scores will be awarded any points until the products are available in shops.

This decision is based on the following arguments:

First of all, we believe that using new, unreleased, non-available technology is in conflict with one of the main principles of the HWBoints concept which states that the competition is (as) open (as possible) to everyone. We are aware of the fact that a lot of side notes can be made to this principle as you do in fact need a certain amount of financial input to compete at the very top, but using unreleased technology, which might annihilate the current top benchmark results, is even a step further as it’s available to only a very select group of people within the enthusiast community.

Secondly, we hope that not awarding points to unreleased hardware might spice up the competition as pushing current-gen hardware to the absolute maximum will not become obsolete from the moment it’s clear that next-gen technology is performing at a much higher level.

Lastly, it also serves a more social purpose. If new technology beats the current generation of hardware and, thus, makes getting points much easier, HWBot creates a market for those unreleased products. As the technology is not widespread available, but only to a very select group of people, the price of the next-gen hardware could shoot up. At HWBot, we do not want to create this kind of market or even be an incentive to spend huge amounts of money only to compete in the HWBoints rankings. Extreme overclocking has already come to a stage where requires quite a financial input that creating extra costs is something we want to avoid. Note that we do not want to make the HWBoints rankings appear to have more influence than it really has, but in this case it’s better to keep on safe side.

I am assuming that I am correct but would to to make sure that I am indeed reading this properly and get an idea of where HWBOT stands exactly on this matter.:)

DFI UT 790FXB-M3eH7 - this board is unreleased, but it's not under NDA (I think...), does that matter?

IMO we need to find a set of rules that doesn't make certain boards unusable for boints forever (which is the case if a board is never released, and both HW and globals are removed)... hardware boints only for not officially available parts, that's what I call a fair solution.

it means all technology that has not been released yet. products do fall under the term of technology when there's an NDA on it or have not been released for the big public.

I think it's completely ridiculous that you can actually own an unbenchable piece of HW, if that's what you're saying. It should be possible to create a set of rules that doesn't exclude any piece of exotic hardware there is - after all, this is the biggest database of overclocking results.

If a piece of hardware is never released to retail (Dreadnought 790I springs to mind) but is tested by overclockers..... how about make a category that is set to no points, no silverware, no global ranking allowed?

Still get the database and information, but no reward.

I think it's completely ridiculous that you can actually own an unbenchable piece of HW, if that's what you're saying. It should be possible to create a set of rules that doesn't exclude any piece of exotic hardware there is - after all, this is the biggest database of overclocking results.

Of course there can be made an exception for exotic hardware, like the Dreadnought

Sure.

The key idea of this rule is that people should not be receiving points because they are able to use hardware that is not available to everyone yet and is giving them a clear advantage. I'm aware of the fact that there's some kind of grey area, which exists in all discussions, so this rule could be seen as a guideline which can be applied in very specific situations.

Can you please direct me to the rule where ES chips are allowed when the retail chips release?

Same question. Just normal ES chips, not cherry picked ubermosters.

I have 8800GTX score with Xeon 3470ES reported by proste71, he claims that regular ES is not allowed