HWBOT Community Forums

Clarification in PCMark'05 about Tweaks // Tricks allowed

Sweet

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Crew

i only boost IE 60-100% :P, Imho. I think bob'tweak is Ok. only change the theme of windows., areo to classic, and classic to aero theme, nothing more, its a tweak or trick not cheat.

IE tweak or settings its ok. not change nothing only leaves nothing in IE settings :)

In this tweaks nothing are file modifie or files replaced

I wonder how internet explorer looks like if you open hwbot, then :P

Nothing displayed :P

Now, someone explain to me why such a boost is possible without bugging the test:p

Tell me more about how fast is 3DM01 after reboot or under windows XP or running tests in a different order or with a different amount of lod and so on :D

• Crew
I'm not a PCMark bencher but I don't see a problem with Bobs tweak. The user is changing nothing in Windows, they are merely using a feature of Windows as it is designed- changing desktop appearance.

You explain this better like me, my english is cheat :P

Tell me more about how fast is 3DM01 after reboot or under windows XP or running tests in a different order or with a different amount of lod and so on

Yes it is :)

And so the mouse Tweak comes back

Like CN commented on the staff , "we turn back in time", I hope that this Benchmark be clean again cheats, and re-used by all overclockers. :ws:

OK, so 01 gives a 100% boost in score if you change run order and run it "fresh boot" style? The gain is several times bigger in this case, in fact comparing it to the 01 fresh boot/run order boosts just confirms that something very well could be fishy.

Not saying this tweak should not give a boost at all, I just find it very strange that it is so huge.

Would be interesting to see a high frequency video of a run so we can take a closer look at the individual windows. If it's not possible to see a difference, then it's fine with me - then it just makes the theme really efficient. However, what if there are parts that are not rendered correctly? Then it's obviously a tweak that causes a bug.

On a side note, if IE registry settings makes you unable to use the browser, isn't it also reasonable to say that this indeed bugs out IE9? I mean, it's about opening a webpage, but if IE9 refuses to open a webpage at all, how can anyone say that the test runs as it should?

• Crew

Actually we're bugging the test with running it with Vista/7 as there was no Aero when pcmark05 was developed and than we trick it again by running Internet Explorer 7,8,9. In both cases calculation gets done which was not intended by the devs. While this maybe excused by the technical advance during the years, allowing registry tweaks cant be the way to go. It simply leads to no rendering in transp windows and IE of rendering blank white pages as the same like video compression calcs something that is less demanding than audio compression.

Dont get it, why dont we just drop this bench? Only thing we do here is restrict "super tweaks" but we're still not run the bench like it was intended. And I fear this isnt even possible today.

Sooo, does this also mean that the batch file setup to swap drive letters around for each HDD test is a cheat now too?

If flashdesktops is a cheat that means every top global score is cheated, right?

This is a large change, if it can actually be enforced I like it!

No, not in my opinion - changing the drive doesn't mean that the calculation procedure is any different. Plus, the reason we have to do it is because of the 220 cap - so if we remove the cap, then the benchmark runs the way it was intended, and there is no longer a need to change that damn drive :P right?

• Crew
Sooo, does this also mean that the batch file setup to swap drive letters around for each HDD test is a cheat now too?

If flashdesktops is a cheat that means every top global score is cheated, right?

This is a large change, if it can actually be enforced I like it!

Why should changing the drives be forbidden? It's not changing the test, just running it on a setup that is suitable for every subtest. Pure hardware ( and of course how it's all set up ).

No, not in my opinion - changing the drive doesn't mean that the calculation procedure is any different. Plus, the reason we have to do it is because of the 220 cap - so if we remove the cap, then the benchmark runs the way it was intended, and there is no longer a need to change that damn drive :P right?

Changing the drive isn't needed for Startup, that test can be slowed down in different ways.

• Crew

Depending if it has been used for those subs.

Like C. Ney (in the staff) said it is very difficult, sometimes, to differentiate a flash desktop submission with another no flash desktop.

That is why we appeal to the honesty of each bencher, to delete the submissions made ​​with this software.

Later, when de mods. do their jobs could be collateral damage, perhaps, some sub can may be blocked wrongly, I feel sorry for this but I think it will happen :)

Edited by Sweet

• Crew
Lol, IE is no tweak or else, its an normal Update for OS! And show me blanc page only with registry, lol...

Dont be stupid its the best solution now to keep the bench;)

Scores get now back to normal Level, tropped to half scores.

http://hwbot.org/submission/2322903_

Before 56k:)

Well, virus scan is too hight, 2460.21 MB/s You use something like ramcaching ?:eek: