HWBOT Community Forums

GB Z77X-UP7 - lower RAM overclocking

Blue Storm

Hello guys,

I have "problem" with overclocking Dominator Platinum 2666 C10 kit on UP7. IMC in my 3570K is crappy and I know it but I was able to boot only with 2600 multiplier and not with 2666. On UD5H and PSC kit I was able to boot with 2666 multiplier with the same 3570K and witnout any problem.

Is it because of different mainboard (tighter sub-timings?), different manufacturer of memory chips or because of my 3570K is degrading? Btw post display often says "51" but it isn't because of memory capability for sure.

Thanks

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is also a BIOS coming out soon that should help memory OC on this board.

XMP works okay over here with that kit and the board.

If you don't set the timings yourself or by XMP the board will set them, and for every memory multiplier, the timings are different, or should be at different points.

also you have to realize that for certain types of memory the Up5 will be better, or even more basic boards like the Up4. They have less stuff on the board, more optimized BIOS, and fewer layers.

Care to share how the additional layers of UP7 can be a negative on RAM overclocking? I feel like I can learn something here, its contradicting to everything that I've ever learned, but heck, I enjoy learning, care to enlighten me?

One can easily throw in a bunch of layers, it will just add to the cost, and not benefit, thereby be pointless, but the more layers, the easier it'll be to shorten the routing of the traces.

Now I do not have the blueprints, nor do I think posting those online would make one very popular, but I have faith in them knowing their job fully, I do not in any way question the actual hardware of UP7.

I just dont agree that the memory clocking got anything to do with layers.

Without knowing it, I'd put my money on BIOS being the issue, the tighter, the lower frequency, and UP7 is meant to be a top performer. I personally do not see this is a negative if it is the case - it isnt entry level after all :)

- But perhaps I should shut up regarding UP7 untill Gigabyte fixes their EMEA issues.

Okay thanks guys...so I will wait for new bios because like zeneffect said memory overclocking is no fun at all on UP7...when I compare it UD5H is now better for mem clocking and UP7 really needs new bios

I should have been a bit more specific I guess. Its not ALL memory, just SOME memory.

my bbse work just fine :)

yea its not all memory, mainly PSC and samsung, but samsung fix I can confirm working.

so i can finally use these 2666 kingston predators with xmp?

been having to do everything manually but they work as it is now on F3 OC.

NEED NEW OC BIOS WITH PSC AND SAMSUNG FIX! (yelling at the internet not you sin)

so i can finally use these 2666 kingston predators with xmp?

been having to do everything manually but they work as it is now on F3 OC.

NEED NEW OC BIOS WITH PSC AND SAMSUNG FIX! (yelling at the internet not you sin)

Yea I have the same memory.

Ill test it out.

Please report what Vdimm you getting with XMP in Windows.

Team Xtreem 2600C10 and TridentX 2600C10 set to XMP...... voltage to high on Z77X-UP5 (1.680V) and above normal on Z77X-D3H (1.668V) !!.

Team Xtreem 2600C10 with XMP1/2, CR set to 2 instead of 1.

Default Vdimm Z77X-UP5 (1.536V) and Z77X-D3H (1.524V).

Vtt supose also to be set above default with XMP,but stay at 1.05V

Complain 3 months ago,but no avail (with F6x only has been small improvement,XMP.....CR-1).

Edited by stasio

I just dont agree that the memory clocking got anything to do with layers.

Tested 6-layer board and went well over DDR3-3000. More layers = more complexity = need finer tuning. That and some other stuff.

yea its not all memory, mainly PSC and samsung, but samsung fix I can confirm working.

Some Samsung works, some doesn't.