HWBOT Community Forums

Achievements - What do you want?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

writing queries for the socket king/guru/junkie achievements at the moment. I'm using the socket characteristic of the cpu model for this achievement, not the mainboard model. This means that you can get achievements by using an AM3 cpu on an AM2 mainboard.

The alternative is to go by mainboard socket characteristic, but this will require people to select a motherboard model. In addition, it doesn't solve the socket combination problem: there are socket convertors out there as well. Imho, the first alternative (go by cpu socket characteristic) is the best alternative

• Crew
Imho, the first alternative (go by cpu socket characteristic) is the best alternative
I completely agree with this one. Sometimes socket converters are the part of the game in pushing the CPU to the edge so it doesn't have anything about the CPU itself.

• Crew

Still too complicated. And once again - FWIW?

If I don't fill up the MoBo info cause I'm lazy, I won't be able to get the achievement? Also, this splits competition into too many classes.

As Massman said much more than once - "don't implement a rule that is too hard to trace out".

The CPU socket is easy to tell - it's CPU-Z.

Let's take the socket 5 and socket 7. Can you tell whether a certain result was achieved with a socket adapter or not? CPU-Z is too buggy when working with old hardware. It can't even detect the multiplier though third-party software is able in the same case.

Maybe you can add some box for the sockets this applies to - like "socket xxx to yyy adapter used".

Technically, yes ... but for what purpose?

Solution A: use CPU characterisic + risk for socket convertors (minor issue)

Solution B: use MB characteristic + risk for socket convertors + necessity to add MB info (bigger issue)

Solution C: use MB characteristic + CPU characteristic + socket convertor checkbox + risk for socket convertors + write code in case MB isn't equal to CPU (huge workload)

So, CPU socket it is :P

Sure I understand :)

Another detail I wanna mention there, keep it clear like it is... I think, and I doubt to be on my own, it must stay easy to read and have the most important stuffs of an OCer profile in that sig ;)

Thanks for everything Frederick.

• Crew
Yes, it's not easy to define "best" achievement. I think for the first implementation we will let the user choose between last achievement or highest level achievement. Signature engine v3 is unpolished so not public.
Hm, the "socket king" achievements won't have a level (or two levels - the guru and king) but they are more likely than the medals or cooling for example. So it would be nice to select manually, if possible.

How about adding a hyperlink to the achievements. It can take you to a page which would showcase the results users who have these special/unique achievements. It would be comical to view these 5+ hour results... I just don't know where to find them.

EDIT: I notice that the hyperlink takes you to a list of members, I was more or less looking for the actual results. Kinda like the world record page.

+1 for this!

Achievements should showcase the result(s) that a person submitted in order to get this achievement :)