HWBOT Community Forums

LN2 misuse gets 8 people in hospital

Vivi

• Crew

These people poured LN2 in the pool to make smoke, it then reacted to the chlorine in the pool (according to the article) and created a toxic cloud that hospitalized 8 and one in a coma.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2344213/Man-21-left-COMA-faint-organizers-Mexico-pool-party-promoting-Jagermeister-pour-liquid-nitrogen-water.html

dayum! Thats kinda unlucky that it mixed with the pool, i pour it in my pool all the time didn't know it could be dangerous if i swam in it

• Crew
boomer lol

It's sad, but in fact I am laughing from it, I made a lot of things with LN2 in my life and in fact it seems to be more safe for me than water lol I slipped so many times in the bathroom lol

yea man!

it's "unfair" towards LN2. a mistake like this makes it look like poison. I also feel that hot water is more dangerous :P

Ever see this LN2 explosion story? Pictures start at page 11, then more at page 20:

http://ucih.ucdavis.edu/docs/chemistry_301a.pdf

Make sure your safety valves are functional!

TL;DR Safety's weren't in place. Pressure built, dewar exploded destroying the room it was in. The bottom of the dewar blew out, shooting it thru the ceiling into a mechanical room, smashing the top half of the dewar in the process.

Edited by I.M.O.G.

I had a nice argument with a friend of mine... what would rather have thrown at you - 1L Ln2 or 1L hot coffee. Tried to convince that person that the Ln2 is harmless as long as you don't get it into your eyes or swallow it :P

Ever see this LN2 explosion story? Pictures start at page 11, then more at page 20:

http://ucih.ucdavis.edu/docs/chemistry_301a.pdf

Make sure your safety valves are functional!

TL;DR Safety's weren't in place. Pressure built, dewar exploded destroying the room it was in. The bottom of the dewar blew out, shooting it thru the ceiling into a mechanical room, smashing the top half of the dewar in the process.

When I was benching with Kingpin in Detroit, one of the 160L (ish) dewars started failing, I guess some membrane broke... the sound was ridiculous, I think most of us were wondering if the thing would explode at first. Happy ending: what was left after it had gone silent again was moved to smaller dewars and Vince got us another one for free, saying everything had vaporized due to the fault :P

Not sure if I want someone to through 1L LN2 at me. If the nitrogen gets in your clothes, the clothes will freeze and might leave you with burn wounds anyway. That's why it's important to not spill LN2 on your shoes too much. The cold gets trapped and freezes your toes.

Even without the chloric gas it is highly dangerous to empty full dewars into the pool.

1 Liter LN2 = almost 700 liters N2 which will make it really hard to breath in that "fluffy steam" / right were your head is in the water...

How silly you have to be emptying several dewars at once? Well that is what Jagermeister does with your brain probably...

Stupid media and wrong infromation :D

I am 100% sure that they did not use LN2 over there.

They must have used dry ice and when you throw 30 kg of that on the pool, you will definitely have a layer of carbon dioxide over the water and you will pass out.

Even small amount of that gas is dangerous as you can see how little amount of that is normally on atmosphere:

FIG01_010.JPG

78% is nitrogen gas and when you pour 1000 liters of LN2 in the pool you still won't have any issues. (Execpt if you are in the contact with Ln2 of course :D )

PJP, you meant throw, otherwise I simply cant understand that sentence.

Nitrogen isnt only fun, having a bit respect for it is critical, knowledge of what you are dealing with is always a good thing, no matter what it is anyway.... :)

Vivi, 1 guy coma, 8 others hurt, makes 9 persons to the hospital.

But dafuq, that is really unfortunate, however, swimmingpools contain so freaking many chemicals...

Petri, nitrogen bond with other substances quite easily, and a swimmingpool contains a shiftload of crap.

CO2 however, does not do that easily, if im not mistaking, even in gas form its got London bond.... The same bond that prevents H2O (water) from being highly flamable.

i heard they were doing tests to determine the safety of LN2 demos in schools and determined something like 25L of LN2 if emptied at once can displace the oxygen in a 25x25x10 feet room , i am not sure how right that was or if I remember it correctly.

Also i am pretty sure most everyone there was very drunk, hahaha, i mean it was a jagermister event for god sake, i hope they didn't expect everything to go smoothly mixing very drunk people with liquid nitrogen.

78% is nitrogen gas and when you pour 1000 liters of LN2 in the pool you still won't have any issues. (Execpt if you are in the contact with Ln2 of course :D )

Brave Petri :P LN2 dust is more dense to O2, thus will "push it away" - easy experiment is to turn of little flames with LN2 ;)

Yeah, I was wrong. On those videos we can clearly see what happens and that layer of gas stay just above the water.

Crazy people who planned that.

Actually dry ice would have been better, cause then people would have felt the low amount of oxygen and maybe react faster.

Breathing pure nitrogen does not give any warnings.

Well, we should respect that stuff when we mess around in live shows etc. So many ways to hurt people around table :D