HWBOT Community Forums

GPUPI - SuperPI on the GPU

_mat_

I've just finished working on GPUPI 2.1. It's now in the hands of the HWBOT staff to test it thoroughly! :)

Changelog:

• Fixed timer bugs in Windows 8/10 - it uses RTC for XP and 7 and QPC (+ validation of frequency) on 8/10. Additionally the used timer and frequency/precision is written to the top of the output window.
  • The data file can now be saved to disk.
  • Detects ~50 AMD graphics cards now (about 30 more than 2.0).
  • Supports UNICODE file paths for logging and configuration now
  • Fixed hardware detection of Xeon CPUs

Edited by _mat_

dam ther gose my plan for running 4x 3870x2.have alredy 2 cards here and 2 more on the way.

edit; acording to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_graphics_processing_units#Radeon_R700_.28HD_4xxx.29_Series

the 3870x2 support cl 1.0 and have a Double Precision of 211.2

It could also be a driver issue. The bench only detects what the driver knows. If a device is ignored (no double precision support), you will be notified in the output window when starting GPUPI.

Edit: Have a look at your screen again ... GPU-Z also claims no OpenCL support for this card.

Edited by _mat_

RV670 (HD 3850) doesn't support opencl on my system either.

_mat_:

If I understand it correctly the oldest supported GPU for the GPUPI is RV770 and GT200, right?

Too bad the whole GeForce 8 and 9 family is out because of the lack of dual-precision.

It could also be a driver issue. The bench only detects what the driver knows. If a device is ignored (no double precision support), you will be notified in the output window when starting GPUPI.

Edit: Have a look at your screen again ... GPU-Z also claims no OpenCL support for this card.

i have noticed thad the opencl was not cheked.

so this meens a lot of amd gpu's whil not work? like a 4870x2

Edited by skulstation

RV670 (HD 3850) doesn't support opencl on my system either.

_mat_:

If I understand it correctly the oldest supported GPU for the GPUPI is RV770 and GT200, right?

Too bad the whole GeForce 8 and 9 family is out because of the lack of dual-precision.

GeForce 8 and 9 both support the first versions of CUDA, but I guess I would have to write a whole new code path to support them. It would definitely be _very_ slow.

OpenCL 1.0 specifications were release in 2008 so any cards before that have no support. That sadly includes HD 38xx cards that have been launched in November 2007. Although there is one chance to support them with the first version of AMD's Stream SDK and the Close To Metal interface. I tried that years ago without any luck. :P

so this meens a lot of amd gpu's whil not work? like a 4870x2
HD 4xxx are the first cards to introduce OpenCL 1.0. They should work if the recent Catalyst drivers still support them. With old drivers you could run into the "Invalid result" error due to their many bugs with double precision calculation. Edited by _mat_

I can't get my GTX 285 working. No matter the GPUPI settings, I always get "invalid result" error. I've tried latest 341.44 and older 320.18 drivers... makes no difference.

CUDA is not supported on this GPU it seems.

Testing platform is: Xeon W3565, GA-EX58-UD3R, win7 x64

Any idea how to get this thing working?

Guest TheMadDutchDude

The GTX 285 does support CUDA.

Taken from NVIDIA's site:

CUDA Technology2

NVIDIA®CUDA™ technology unlocks the power of the GPU’s processor cores to accelerate the most demanding system tasks - such as video transcoding - delivering up to 20x performance over traditional CPUs.

With CUDA 7.0 NVIDIA removed the support for Geforce 200 cards. GPUPI 1.4 should still work, because it comes with CUDA 6.5 which allows to compile kernels for CUDA 2.0 devices, for example the GTX 285. I would not have introduced a new CUDA version if it wasn't the best for performance.

If it's popular I can compile GPUPI 2.1 with the old CUDA toolkit especially for Geforce 200 cards. :)

Btw, here is a full list of currently supported devices: https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-gpus

The speed differences seem to be possible by the 64 bit support, that was available in 1.2 Beta. I removed it because it made no sense for graphics cards. Well, I can reintroduce it, the code path is still built into the new version. I bet GPUPI 2.x with 64 bit support will be faster than the old beta versions too.

But I am a bit worried because we will end up with a lot of executables, which is not very rookie friendly:

• GPUPI.exe (CUDA + OpenCL support)
  • GPUPI_CUDA.exe (only CUDA support - not really necessary, only if OpenCL support would avoid starting the bench)
  • GPUPI_OpenCL.exe (only OpenCL support - necessary for Windows XP)
  • GPUPI_GT200.exe (compiled with CUDA toolkit 6.5 for CUDA 2.0 support of Geforce 200 series cards)
  • GPUPI_64bit.exe (64 bit for fastest CPU support)

New version is as good as done!

I have added a few features to help the moderators:

• Automatic window resizing after a benchmark to avoid cutting of statistics or result. It's only done if necessary and helps especially for larger multi GPU systems.
  • Ctrl+A selects all text in output window now
  • Watermark for invalid results:

attachment.php?attachmentid=202879

HWBOT crew is still testing the new timing methods. Haven't heard much from them, but I hope we will release soon. :)

Well, on the other hand it gives me some time to reintroduce the 64 bit version of the bench. ;)

PS: Yes, this is not really an invalid result, just a test.

I'll send out the latest version again today and include you. Sry, it didn't happen on purpose.

Btw, it shouldn't be necessary to delete the 1.2 Beta submissions. I am currently testing GPUPI 2.1 in 64 bit and I hope it will be faster anyway. :)

Edited by _mat_