HWBOT Community Forums

GPUPI - SuperPI on the GPU

_mat_

We have discussed this recently and came to the conclusion that 32B makes no sense today. It's just not fun to run this benchmark on single cards for more than 15 minutes to get a result. Yeah, multiple GPUs have a lot of performance headroom and will push the times faster towards zero than what's possible with other benchmarks. If that happens 32B might become more popular for multiple graphics cards and we will react on it properly, may add or even shift points to 32B. But that will take a good while in computer years. :)

Even for Single GPUs if we look at the Generational increase we might reach to zero fast maybe even with the upcoming 390X

Just look at the difference between 7970 & 290X at similar clockspeeds

http://hwbot.org/submission/2719953_vadimua_gpupi___1b_radeon_hd_7970_35sec_410ms

http://hwbot.org/submission/2760482_d0minat0r_gpupi___1b_radeon_r9_290x_17sec_929ms

A 390X on Ln2 might just get to zero.

And for multi GPU, you already saw this

http://hwbot.org/submission/2820501_pulse88_gpupi___1b_3x_radeon_r9_290x_5sec_907ms

4 x 290Xs on LN2 & its over. In the begining of the thread, people were quite ready for a longer GPU bench, don't know what changed.

Even for Single GPUs if we look at the Generational increase we might reach to zero fast maybe even with the upcoming 390X

Just look at the difference between 7970 & 290X at similar clockspeeds

http://hwbot.org/submission/2719953_vadimua_gpupi___1b_radeon_hd_7970_35sec_410ms

http://hwbot.org/submission/2760482_d0minat0r_gpupi___1b_radeon_r9_290x_17sec_929ms

A 390X on Ln2 might just get to zero.

And for multi GPU, you already saw this

http://hwbot.org/submission/2820501_pulse88_gpupi___1b_3x_radeon_r9_290x_5sec_907ms

4 x 290Xs on LN2 & its over. In the begining of the thread, people were quite ready for a longer GPU bench, don't know what changed.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. Hawaii got a big boost in integer performance, which might have been related to the Bitcoin mining hype back then. Yes, rumours indicate more compute cores for 390X, but those seem to be designed for handling virtual reality technologies. They might cut back on integer performance and prefer floating point instead, which means more frames per second for 3d in-game graphics. It's not that straight forward, you know? So let's calm down and see what the vendors got up their sleeves for this year and adjust as needed. The HWBOT staff will take care of that, I have no doubts. :) Edited by _mat_

Seems it can't detect my Graphic card right, it shows AMD Radeon R9 280 instead of AMD Radeon HD 7950 (because 280 and 7950 are the same)

Can i edit my GPU name after submitting the score as "R9 280"?

That one is on AMD. They only pass a code name to the OpenCL drivers which is obviously the same for these reused chips. I tried to divide those cards by using the reference gpu frequency of the old models and let everything else be detected as the newer ones. So if you don't have a reference card or flashed it with another BIOS you'll get an R7/R9 card for now.

I might be able to distinguish these better by using WMI or a graphics API to read out the family string (HD 7900 series ...) and use it as a helper. Actually I am already using WMI for the HWBOT device detection, if it's needed. But I am not sure if the whole benchmark should be depending on having WMI installed and the service available on the system. :(

i hope im putting this in the right Spot cause i honetly dont know where to put this so plz help me

well im having a problem with GPUPI when i go and launch it im getting an error saying

GPUPI.exe - System Error

its saying that MSVCP120.DLL is missing from my PC this is a clean install of my O/S

also i have an AMD System with nVidia gfx card

Same story with spi and w32, but that doesn't stop us competing for milliseconds. The trend is not for better DP, I wouldn't worry too much for now.

I think the point is that we weren't approaching the limit on release day.

Agreed that 32B is the best way forward for GPUs, I would personally like to see the Global and world record points on the 32B bench and just hardware on 1B. Just to help with the longevity of the benchmark.

On a side note I did give it a quick run yesterday and I quite like the benchmark, it's nice and easy to use with built in tweaking too :)

Interesting bench, tried 1,2 & 3 GTX 280s Invalid Result – switched to a 3870 X2 no go, last tried a 4890 valid result, kept locking up when setting up screen shot, same for 7 32 & 64. Went to 2D kicked me out of the submission saying I needed a cpu to submit for 2D, a bit frustrating.

Interesting bench, tried 1,2 & 3 GTX 280s Invalid Result – switched to a 3870 X2 no go, last tried a 4890 valid result, kept locking up when setting up screen shot, same for 7 32 & 64. Went to 2D kicked me out of the submission saying I needed a cpu to submit for 2D, a bit frustrating.
Seems like the driver is too old. Update it to the newest one and it will work.

I had no problem running single HD 4850 and HD 4830 + 4850 combination (win7 x64, cat 14.9, X58 platform). At the moment it is impossible to submit score due to the CPU detection bug.
What's your CPU?

What was that?

OpenCL, and VS2013 was installed.

Strange error, seems like your system has some general problems. The benchmark needs to create a few (worker) threads by using _beginthreadex(). It's a very basic task for a Win32 application so this should work on a healthy installation. But have a look at GPUPI.log in the directory of the bench, it might give you more insight.

It's currently not possible, but will be very soon. Hopefully today or maybe tomorrow. It's is currently tested. :)

I was not aware until today that the manual submission for the bench was disabled. I will talk to Massman about this, because it avoids submission of older AMD graphics cards like HD 58xx, which are currently only detected with their GPU codename and will therefor not be recognized by the HWBOT API.

It's currently not possible, but will be very soon. Hopefully today or maybe tomorrow. It's is currently tested. :)

I was not aware until today that the manual submission for the bench was disabled. I will talk to Massman about this, because it avoids submission of older AMD graphics cards like HD 58xx, which are currently only detected with their GPU codename and will therefor not be recognized by the HWBOT API.

_mat_, I see that you are set up as the owner, you can go to My Account, scroll down to the Your Benchmarks section, click on the benchmark you want, and on the following page you can enable manual upload.

HWBOT does not know the processor you are using. Please contact the moderators to add it.

I have also enabled the manual submission again, I hope that's okay with the HWBOT staff. It has to stay enabled for good because there will always be cases where the detection fails. It's just not possible with the amount of hardware out there, lots of exceptions and inconsistencies ... sometimes even the vendors have inconsisent naming schemes. I highly doubt that it's possible to avoid those detection problems.