HWBOT Community Forums

0.0 - Core i7 4600M @ 4800MHz - 602 marks XTU

Achill3uS

Guest TheMadDutchDude

So, now we need to figure out how to get a desktop i3 to have unlimited turbo bins... :D

Epic job! It's nice to see someone has been able to outsmart Intel and actually overclock a 'locked' chip.

Thanks for the support guys.

lol I can't help but feel sorry for all the guys who used LN² on i3 to win this bench

I feel for them too Apfelkuchen however it doesn't take away the fact that they are still excellent overclocks. Similarly the G2358 has some awesome overclocks but not to be seen in this particular bench.

No need for anyone to get mad, instead get even. The overclock was ran on far from ideal overclocking hardware and should be easy to beat with the same CPU and better setup. Perhaps the rest of us can then really see what the mobile CPU is made of. :)

It's very nice to see another unlockable haswell model. Just out of curiosity, do the VT-d capabilities of your chip still work properly while overclocked? It's disabled in many of the 'normally unlocked' chips, and since they're already amongst the most expensive ones I can't think of any good reasons for intel to disable it, unless it becomes unstable quickly when overclocking.

Edited by ice.cold

Yep, in this case the CPU's leave the factory unlocked and are 'fixed' by microcode update in the BIOS.

ice.cold, if that were the case I would think it would not be enabled in the i7-4930mx. The i7-4600m does support VT-d as well as normally supporting a further 4 bins of overclocking but I haven't really had a use to try pass through with VT-d. Many thanks by the way for not only trying and succeeding in unlocking your CPU but also for finding some useful extra info. Awesome work.

Ah, I thought that VT-d was disabled in the 4930mx, but I must have been thinking of a different cpu. I know that it is disabled in the i7-4770K, as well as the Ivy/Sandy bridge i7 K-sku.

Thank you for sharing how you were able to unlock the ratios. I probably would have never come up with the idea of overclocking without the microcode updates myself, if this hadn't been publicized.

It's probably also possible to unlock the extra 'artificially-disabled' features like vt-d or additional cache on processors like mine, since intel have previously done this with their 'Intel Upgrade Service'. Too bad it's now discontinued, it would have been good to find out how it worked.

Edited by ice.cold