HWBOT Community Forums

PS/2 splitter wouldn't work, but USB keyboard/mouse works fine in XP. All other USB devices are a no go, and I don't see a fix coming any time soon. Very hard to justify spending resources on XP, we're just glad that we have it working at all.

Honestly have not tried installing from CD drive, but it should work as long as the setup can see the device (AHCI drivers). Any issue using the USB drive method specified in our OC guide? http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=142991 It's a lot faster as well :)

I'm going to try the usb method, but I just made an image of a xp install last night and I think I can just ghost it from here on out. Tried last night and worked fine.

Anyway it's not a huge deal, almost all benches I like are win 7 and win 10 and they work perfect.

I just got a little mixed up because the oc formula has an asmedia ide option which is amazing because you can use your modded ahci driver and slipstream into an xp install on a dvd. Then install xp really easy with asmedia port and then turn off pc and switch to the intel ahci ports and it works great. I was expecting to have the same option with asus. Also the ps/2 splitter on oc formula works. This board was almost double the price so I guess I expected all the same features plus more. Not complaining, just speaking honestly.

But now xp is working fine and I will get a $20 pcie usb and everything will be great with an amazing board.

The only reason I care is because someone said that the ps/2 emulator which is how the mouse and keyboard are working for the extreme can take a little hit on cpu resources, but I try not to touch mouse and keyboard during bench so should be ok.

pcie usb 2.0 should work fine right?

I also just wanted to say thanks so much for the amazing oc guide. It really is amazing and again this board is great with win 7, win 8.1 and win 10. I wish we could all just make a deal to never use xp for the legacy 3d benches, eventually cpu power will overcome any win 7 penalty and everything would be great.

Edited by Strong Island

• 2 weeks later...

What you highlighted is not an error and has nothing to do with your ISO content.

The problem is that the loader can't find the file "XP.iso" for some reason. Could be anything from hdd/usb configuration to file system problems. First to do is to check that your files are on the drive with correct names. Next you can try to reformat with NTFS or different flash drive.

Edited by elmor

I have tried 3 different flash drives with both fat32 and ntfs, so it must have something to do with the file naming with xp.iso being tied to nlite or issues with the ssd but I did try all of the sata ports and even tried different storage and boot settings in the bios. Thanks much for the help in pointing me in the right direction

• 2 months later...

hello guys :)

i've got a problem with my set up :/

my xp work perfectly with a i7 but with a i3 it's impossible to take a usb port .

i use a ps2 port for my keyboard ans usb for my mouse .

if you had a solution i take it but i think to buy a pcie controler cart this weekend .

thanks a lot ;)

Guest barbonenet
hello guys :)

i've got a problem with my set up :/

my xp work perfectly with a i7 but with a i3 it's impossible to take a usb port .

i use a ps2 port for my keyboard ans usb for my mouse .

if you had a solution i take it but i think to buy a pcie controler cart this weekend .

thanks a lot ;)

follow my guide :D

follow my guide :D

i have followed your guide of course.

it's so strange with a 6700k i don't have mouse problem and for a i3 , omg ...

it's ok with a pcie controler and now it's ok with a red port near the cmos :)

i think it's forget file driver in to my ghost .

thank's a lot for all ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi! I have an MSI PCMate motherboard.

I've followed the main guide in this forum, but I'm getting errors about my BIOS not being ACPI compliment. If I don't press F5 or F7, I get a blue screen. If I do press F5 or F7, my computer freezes at the "Is this information correct" screen (the one that comes immediately after "Press S to load drivers")

Roam the MSI thread, iirc this was special issue of MSI

http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=146382

Thanks! I found the problem; I needed to select "MPS Multiprocessor".

This got me a bit further in the setup process, but my PC is now freezing at the partition select screen. I've already tried unplugging every drive other than the one I intend to use for XP.

Any suggestions? I've read through the whole MSI thread you linked too.

• 11 months later...

I haven't had a chance to read the guide but I thought I would put some thoughts about this post, as I am getting ready to do the same thing.

Hard drives the issues is finding a drive with Advanced Format/4K. As far as I remember there never was going to be support in XP. So you need just an old drive but one that came without 4k, AF or 512emulation. I don't think you can buy a hard drive (at least a new with warranty) that isn't AF/4K. You possible can find an old drive on ebay but of course the issue is with drive reliability. Also isn't there a fixed size limit for Windows XP of 2TB and you shouldn't be able to use GPT since XP doesn't know how to read it.

I would also think that changing the system from AHCI or RAID back to just ATA/IDE might help as well. I know I never used AHCI with XP in my systems (both cause of the board and bios - Nvidia 780i (Asus P5N72-T Premium) or at least I didn't like using it. If you use some sort of removable drive bay (for example I use a bay where I open up the door, put the drive in and then turn on the computer - so I can run Win 7, 10, and a test copy of Win 7 for testing new fixes/apps before putting it on my good Win 7 install) you then just need to remember to change any bios settings back to what you need for win 7/8/8.1/10 or other.

The other problem I can think of is the GPU. I know my Nvidia 770 GTX still has driver support from Nvidia. I can't speak for AMD. Nvidia doesn't have any drivers for 900 series and higher. Of course with the resources of tweakers I wouldn't be surprised if there is a xp driver for 900 and higher.

Also problem with some of the newer motherboards, like the Asus Z170A - Deluxe, is they have no PS/2 port, so it requires the usb drivers to be installed like other special drivers before you do the install or you have no keyboard support. I have bought a PS/2 to usb but doubt it will allow me to install without the special usb driver.

I know this is a very old post but thought would share what I could.

• 2 years later...
On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2015 at 7:40 AM, sofos1990 said:

You don't need nothing special on SOC Force. Just the following bios

https://www.dropbox.com/s/of0kx0m7jm8qhpz/Z170XSOCForce.rar?dl=0

only those 2 ports for XP.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0pecc9wai1ynv7o/xp.jpg?dl=0

You can boot images from Z97 or X99. No need to build a new OS.

sorry to bring up this old thread.
somwane whit a coppy of the bios thad like to share it whit me?
And knows if it works whit a 7350K

Edited by skulstation