HWBOT Community Forums

FX-8370 + 970 Pro Gaming/Aura | 5G - 333HTT - DDR3-2666C9 - AIO

Hey guys,

I'm testing the 970 Pro Gaming for a SkatterBencher video. Of course I wanted to get some 5G action going. So far the Samsung kits seem to doing quite well. 333MHz 1:4 is straight boot and I'm now trying to get it more stable for 32M. I really want to try LN2 before leaving for the World Tour in South Africa :celebration:

attachment.php?attachmentid=3942&stc=1&d=1456456737

attachment.php?attachmentid=3941&stc=1&d=1456456737

Hey guys,

I'm testing the 970 Pro Gaming for a SkatterBencher video. Of course I wanted to get some 5G action going. So far the Samsung kits seem to doing quite well. 333MHz 1:4 is straight boot and I'm now trying to get it more stable for 32M. I really want to try LN2 before leaving for the World Tour in South Africa :celebration:

How much volts for 5G Cinebench? Seems like nice FX chip & IMC :)

I haven't tested the CPU for Cinebench yet - I've been primarily focused on trying out this board for SuperPI 32M. I'm very rusty, so it's taking a while to get the copy-waza and sub-timings right. There's LN2 incoming next Tuesday so that should be fun.

So far I've been able to get the board to boot straight from 368 MHz HTT with the 3:10 divider. If I could get like 384 in the OS, that would be great but it seems the chip is struggling quite a bit. The memory is certainly good, but not the bin that can do C9-11-11 at competitive frequencies. So I've settled for now at DDR3-2666 C9-12-12 with sub-timings dialed in.

Here's where I'm at right now:

attachment.php?attachmentid=3944&stc=1&d=1456493193

attachment.php?attachmentid=3945&stc=1&d=1456493193

Continued playing with the board on the Sunday. I wish I still had my killer Vengeance Pro sticks that could do 1400+ C9, but ... well that's life. I've gotten my 32M another 2 seconds lower ... LN2 on Tuesday!

Also, here's an 8M for your reference (in case you want a quick target)

attachment.php?attachmentid=3948&stc=1&d=1456663007

attachment.php?attachmentid=3949&stc=1&d=1456663007

No Kaveri chips. I think I'd much rather find an Excavator ... :)

First time LN2 in a very long time - session went pretty okay. Going cold makes the IMC a bit more fussy, but with a couple of adjustments I was running efficiently again. Pushed for 3.3GHz NBclk at -60C. NBclk at 3.6G ran okay through 8M (2min 53.7xx) and was ~2sec faster in 32M, but crashed half-way through.

Tomorrow or this weekend I will try to get 344HTT 1:4 stable instead of increasing the NBclk.

attachment.php?attachmentid=3964&stc=1&d=1457007041

attachment.php?attachmentid=3965&stc=1&d=1457007041

MM, any chance at 2666C8 with 1.90V or so? Or AMD IMC just can't do it?

with LN2 memory yes, without it, I dont know. The 2666 MHz is very good for AMD relased in 2012 CPU...Ussually at others board is not possible get over 2500 MHz for 32M.

If you will cool memory with LN2, its possible attack 3000 MHz in 32M.

PS: Elmor is playing with AMD also :)

http://www.overclock.net/t/1587222/asus-970-pro-gaming-aura/20#post_24953878

Edited by flanker

Clarify for me... if the memory can do 2666C8 on air on Intel (Samsung HYK0), then it should be able to do the same on AMD without LN2 on the memory, shouldn't it? It's should all be down to the AMD IMC since the memory can clearly do it without LN2.

Or at least that makes logical sense... which AMD does not sometimes lol.

MM, any chance at 2666C8 with 1.90V or so? Or AMD IMC just can't do it?

I'm not sure my memory can do it :D.

I tried 2750C9 the other day, but it was unstable. I'm not sure if it was due to the NBclk (2.7g+ on air) or the memory. For sure the AMD IMC is not as good as Intel's, so I doubt we'll see stable over 1400 mhz. But ... we can always try harder.

Massman benching? xD Looks good so far!

I'm actually quite enjoying revisiting my 1090T and benching AMD as a change from Intel at the moment - it's quite refreshing :)

I'm preparing for my next challenge against @nickolp1974 :celebration:

How's Thuban going for you? I feel dirty writing this, but your 32M should be about 30 seconds faster than mine haha

• 7 months later...

On AM3(+) I had the most experience with the 990FXA-UD7 and this 970 Pro Gaming/AURA.

I must say that the 990FXA-UD7 (pre-UEFI) was a rock-solid board back in the day in terms of getting high frequency as well as stability with all 8 cores enabled. Even for high HTT and high memory frequency it was a all-round solid board. I used a couple boards and they all behaved similarly.

The 970 Pro Gaming/AURA is the latest iteration of the AM3+ boards and for benching it behaves as good as the 990FXA-UD7, if not better. Its major advantage is the tuning for Samsung memory and stability at 300+ MHz HTT. I mean, 333 MHz HTT with DDR3-2666C9 at 5G SPI-32M on air is quite amazing.

I also tried the 990FXA-UD3 briefly which I recall doing quite well too.