HWBOT Community Forums

HOW TO bench full pot on Asus Maximus VIII series

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can confirm this method to be working on Z170X SOC Force + 6700k. same setup since 3-4 months,last sessions were fullpot.

Remaining stock glue under ihs,or electrical tape is a must for leveling,using lots of paste too. Cleaning the surfaces with alcohol helps too.And use springs on pot!

I found a great cpu but it's so frustrating because it seems to have like a reset cold bug. So it can bench full pot and can even restart at around -175 but if I crash or hit the retry button it wont boot again until -125.

Which is horrible because it's right around the point where it might start to crack. It's so annoying to have a full pot and then have to get down to -125.

I guess this chip I need to find max and then not really mess with it after that, but finding max is painful.

Then I test 2 more chips after this one and both can go full pot and have no reset cb, and cbb at -175, they both do the same thing but both cant do more than like 6.2ghz hwbot prime. So frustrating.

Is there anything that helps a reset cb, I dont even know if that the right word.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I had an interesting experience with a 6700K recently.

Firstly, CB at -140'c unless I drop the temperature while Heaven is running, then I can pull it down to just above -172'c and keep it there forever. If I crash, CBB is at -135'c so I'd have to warm up to that. After that, CB is back at -140'c unless I pull down further while Heaven is running. Odd.

Anyway, the next interesting part is that I had another session with the chip (fresh thermal paste using the method outlined in the OP - maybe more in fact) and this time I used a VCCIO of 1.415v instead of 1.350v. I was in a major rush and not watching temperatures and ended up with a full pot - Absolutely NO CB or CBB. I could even unplug the PSU and drain the caps, plug back in and boot with a still-full pot. I even video'd it booting with a full pot.

I've since checked and the mount was good. Interesting but odd. Pity that even with a full pot the chip is only good for a bit under 6 GHz :/

I am not sure if there is any cpu with no CBB at all,most likely you had a little crack causing you the lower clocks and also no CBB behaviour.Even with 0 temps in realtemp,for example my best cpu that could do 6750+ 32M with a proper mounting and no crack, had this half-crack phenomen sometimes causing it to do around 6300-6400 .

Clock speeds were no worse, at -130'c I could bench a hair below 6 GHz as usual. 60x multi does not work for me even with a lower Bclk, it's a pretty garbage chip with a VID of almost 1.3v. Heck, at -60'c and 1.700v I can suicide 102x59 but even at -130'c with a known good mount and 1.885v I can't suicide 60x anything or 103x59.

• 9 months later...