HWBOT Community Forums

Is it really OLD SCHOOL?

max1024

I am surprised :0 "Only use processors using socket LGA771", "use Quadro series, Quadro NVS series videocard"? What is strange Choise? It's not old school, it is "post modern" Where is the socket 3, 4, 5, 7, 8? Personally, I do not want paticipate this competition in such format, but all previous competitions OS I liked. What happened? Problem with inventing new stages?

Edited by max1024

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Socket 1366 was released 2008, 771/775 is the last Intel generation with MCH - 8 years since eol and more than 10 years since introduction of 775/771 are a long time at IT. It was introduced 2004 and for 771 2006, which is around date of 939 amd (2004) or AM2 (2006). As said, you don´t like it, do not compete, but it would be a loss for the competition

LGA771 it is server segment. No one will oveclock LGA771 CPU on the servers. All take 771 cpu and put them into desktop boards. Imho strange idea. About Quadro NVS series I am not saying anything, Why take professional card?? I'm shocked ... strangest contest ever seen...

PS A few days ago I overclocked dual socket7 board with two pentium MMX, It is true Old School.

Edited by max1024

I don't see a problem here. LGA 771 CPUs are cheap, easy to get (unlike dual socket 7 :P ) and in 2016/17 really can be considered old school.

Btw - one of very few opportunities to use "server HW" in oc-esports competitions.

Edited by havli

Stage 2 sais that G92 and G80 cards are legal. stage 3 has no limits on GPU, is this right or can you only use G96 (which btw dosn't come on NVS quadros only on FX) in all stages?

Another Question are DDR3 Boards, are they allowd or not?

Edited by TAGG

• Administrators

you had four months of time to bring in your complains, I really think now you have to live with the fact the concept, which is 100% community made, is done :) - I am not sure Pieter will change things now, will send him the link anyway

http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=160802

Edited by websmile
time changed

Its not about the limitation, I just want to know what quadros are allowed, because the hwbot database doesn't even have the chips listed for the 290 and 295, so technically you are not able to submit any results, since the quadro has to be NVS and has to have GPU core listed as one of the above, atm the cores are listed as NVS290 but the card has the G86 or the G98 core??? Nvidia Quadro NVS 295 @ HWBOT

Guest Digg_de

"Round 1 of the Old School is Best School contest features the classic Intel Socket 771 with the option of also using modded Socket 775 motherboards. In terms of graphics contestants are limited to using Nvidia G96-based Quadro cards (single GPU only) or older. Benchmarks include Maxmen Read Bandwidth in Stage 1, 3DMark06 in Stage 2 and 3DMark Vantage for Stage 3. Verification screenshots and system pictures are required for each stage."

"Round 1 of the Old School is Best School contest features the classic Intel Socket 771 with the option of also using modded Socket 775 motherboards. In terms of graphics contestants are limited to using Nvidia G96-based Quadro cards (single GPU only) or older. Benchmarks include Maxmen Read Bandwidth in Stage 1, 3DMark06 in Stage 2 and 3DMark Vantage for Stage 3. Verification screenshots and system pictures are required for each stage."

I thought it was pretty self explanatory myself.