HWBOT Community Forums

Old School is Best School Season 3 Round 3 Discussion

NoMS

3DM01 would not be a better choice than 3DM03?

I'm asking this because 3DM03 does not run on older Matrox cards like G450 (DX6.0) and it would basically limit the competition to Parhelia/Millenium only. :(

Edited by NoMS

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

I will leave this decision to Christian Ney. I cannot access the page myself btw and when I go from eocsprts site I get no content...Problem is known for a while but seems there is no solution so far

We will limit cards to DX8 capable or lower DX version, so we rule out all cards that are DX9 capable or higher, seems to be best solution to keep it cheap

Edited by websmile

this is like you cant use any other card than a geforce 7 series in the last round for RB, when it clearly does not say you cant use any other card, and using the "can be coupled with a geforce 7 series card" as the answer for an excuse for it is a poor excuse, it does not say in the limitation that no other card can not be used, for icestorm it clearly stated a geforce 7 series card to be used, therefore a submission for the RBENCH with another card of any kind is legitimite and a legal submission and SHOULD be allowed

this changing cards for the matrox is the same princple same as some intel cpu costs, if you cant buy the hardware then dont go on a whinge complaining about it and dont go in the competitions..its that simple ....the section stated any matrox card for this section, what about the people that have already spent the money and bought the card , already spent hours testing, modding, whatever with it...what do they do with it now ???, sell it ??? where, the stall down the street ? or smash it with a bloody hammer

Edited by ozzie

I am pretty sure it was meant for "Old School" Matrox. I did not even know Matrox was still "making" 3D Graphics Cards, I thought they were only releasing 2D capable graphics cards.

It's incredible how little information there is about their graphics cards. Even on their own website they dont say anything about 3D. Except for the C-series they advertise DirectX 12.

DX9 and lower will that do?

EDIT: Looks like if we limit to DX9, the most recent cards will be the M series from 2008/2009. Lets do that.

Edited by Christian Ney

Please dont forget , to change the wallpaper.

Those R1 and R2 markings were not followed as a rule in the earlier round.

I believe we need some actual more obvious change for the wallpaper.

Let's eliminate every chance of someone benching earlier than others.

:)

Thankyou Christian for the card Clarification.

I couldn't agree more about the wallpaper there were a few benchers that were using the Round 1 Wallpaper in Round 2 but to be fair to them the R2 was pretty obscure on it and they probably wouldnt of known there was a difference to the round 2 Wallpaper.

I ony noticed it because I put my GPUz CPUz Icons at the bottom left of the screen.

So if the R3 was a bit more larger and clear then no one could plead ignorance.

Thankyou Christian for the card Clarification.

I couldn't agree more about the wallpaper there were a few benchers that were using the Round 1 Wallpaper in Round 2 but to be fair to them the R2 was pretty obscure on it and they probably wouldnt of known there was a difference to the round 2 Wallpaper.

I ony noticed it because I put my GPUz CPUz Icons at the bottom left of the screen.

So if the R3 was a bit more larger and clear then no one could plead ignorance.

Reading that part about the R2 wallpaper, I finaly found the R2 marker, damn its well hidden and I must have blocked it in every screenshoot I used in round2..

Atleast I know where it is for round 3 now..

A couple more little matters.

1)Descriptions on each stage needs editing.

In some say 3DMark 2001 and in others say 3DMark 2003

... and there is no Stage 4 for PCMark 04 , it's stage 3.

And a crucial matter cause i dont like "playing" with words.

Make crystal clear , that it's 478 cpu on 478 boards.

I dont like to play the adapters game.

• Administrators

We handle this same way we handled it for lots of years now, physical cores count, HT is no physical core. If we wanted to divide by threads, we would have written it this way. After years and years we still need clarification? I am a bit surprised :D - I hope this is clear now, it is for sure better to ask then have problems if something is not clear for someone

Edited by websmile