HWBOT Community Forums

OGS - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti @ 2280/1572MHz - 689669 marks Aquamark

ikki

2 hours ago, Splave said:

You unplugging bro? That gt1 sky high daniels 7.24 and less :D maybe it's allowed idk. At least your benching.

Interesting that every gt except gt1 and gt2 is lower than dancop's, however all gts are higher than ikki's sub so it could easily be different gts scale differently. Dancop is on a 980ti vs this 1080ti afterall, and driver differences could easily account for gt1 and gt2. I couldn't definitively call it monitor pull with any degree of certainty, and I doubt that an mod could either. It's probably legit. We'd need a known good score with a similar OC to say anything else.

3 hours ago, FireKillerGR said:

Yeah its with unplug but without crashing or whatever.
I believe its allowed since known scores with this are still up.

Funny thing tho, is that it seems like GT1-2 are higher on Win7 than on other OS while other GTs kinda suck. :D

Well the thing is the way monitor pull works is fundamentally a cheat. It's hard to see on faster hw as the scenes are too fast. But when I pull on slow hw and plug back in I can see quite clearly that a black screen is rendered for the gt's that show score improvement. It's the exact same as 3dm03, it's just harder to tell how it works so many choose to remain ignorant and not question a good score.

7 minutes ago, yosarianilives said:

Well the thing is the way monitor pull works is fundamentally a cheat. It's hard to see on faster hw as the scenes are too fast. But when I pull on slow hw and plug back in I can see quite clearly that a black screen is rendered for the gt's that show score improvement. It's the exact same as 3dm03, it's just harder to tell how it works so many choose to remain ignorant and not question a good score.

If system rendered no image why I didn't get the WR? 
Any chances it might be working in a different way than 03?

1 hour ago, FireKillerGR said:

If system rendered no image why I didn't get the WR? 
Any chances it might be working in a different way than 03?

From my testing it's not as huge of an uplift as 3dm03, probably because of the shorter subtests. It may be a driver thing or that it's still somewhat gpu limited, just more like a super lod. When I did testing on intel igp it did not lift the subtest score in a way that you'd expect from cpu only bench. Also when you pull at the beginning it only glitches the first few gts. If you plugged and unplugged a few times you may have had a wr. In 3dm03 monitor pull only glitches the subtest that you pull during, for my top 40 score with intel igp I pulled at the beginning of each subtest. In aqua it seems to be harder to do specifically than that. For example in my testing I pulled during the loading screen, then gt1 rendered normally but gt2 was black screen with gt3 normal. It's very hard to consistently glitch every subtest like you could do for 3dm03. In my opinion it's 100% glitching the bench, but more testing needs to be done to see what it's capable of.

So perhaps we should just accept this for aqua because it's been used for years and isn't more than a 10-20% increase usually, unlike the 700%+ increase in 3dm03. We can just treat it like a super LOD. We reeally need to get some mods to chime in and set the record straight. When I first discovered what exactly monitor pull does in aqua I reached out to the mods asking about it and never heard back, unlike with 3dm03 which gave me an instant response of "Hell no, it's not legal!". If this ends up legal then I may need to make a guide on how to maximize this "super LOD" for the community so that we can see bigger scores.

Edited by yosarianilives

Moderators are NOT Gods :)

As websmile ( Michael ) once pointed out so wisely, not even NASA engineers would be able to verify REMOTELY, what and how each bencher does at home.

If we look at the whole aspect of " tricks " used, under the strict rules of the site, then many benchmarks should be totally removed.

Question is if that would be wise, in a diminishing ( loss of interest and motivation ), benchmarking environment.

I am afraid that when the upper limits of each benchmark are hit and HW + tweaks are no more sufficient to push things higher, then people use their " borderline " imagination

to push things further.

49 minutes ago, Fasttrack said:

Moderators are NOT Gods :)

As websmile ( Michael ) once pointed out so wisely, not even NASA engineers would be able to verify REMOTELY, what and how each bencher does at home.

If we look at the whole aspect of " tricks " used, under the strict rules of the site, then many benchmarks should be totally removed.

Question is if that would be wise, in a diminishing ( loss of interest and motivation ), benchmarking environment.

I am afraid that when the upper limits of each benchmark are hit and HW + tweaks are no more sufficient to push things higher, then people use their " borderline " imagination

to push things further.

All I asked the mod was "is monitor pull allowed considering that it causes a blank screen to be rendered", never heard a response on that. It wasn't a report, just a pm.

3 minutes ago, Splave said:

Sorry if i made controversy on your result. Surely it is allowed as rules state nothing. Nice run! 

No issue, I don't think that at this point monitor pull would be considered a cheat because of it's widespread use and the fact that it isn't some uber god tier "tweak" like it would be for 3dm03. Surely LOD can do more than monitor pull does on some depending on the card. I mainly want to see some more conversations on it for aqua, cause it's pretty cut and clear for 3dm03 but I can't get a clear answer on aqua. Once I get a clear affirmative from mods I'll make a guide, perhaps I can even do a workshop at the bench meet in Philly :P

Edited by yosarianilives

Just now, yosarianilives said:

All I asked the mod was "is monitor pull allowed considering that it causes a blank screen to be rendered", never heard a response on that. It wasn't a report, just a pm.

I do not blame you for anything. On the contrary I like the good work you do here.

I am just speaking my mind :)

1 minute ago, Fasttrack said:

I do not blame you for anything. On the contrary I like the good work you do here.

I am just speaking my mind :)

Glad to hear! Hopefully we can get a clear response from mods other than "stop trying to break benchmarks" so that I can start being competitive in aqua ;) A "yes this is cheat", or "no is okay" would be plenty.

"United States SPLAVE SAYS: 33 minutes ago – Sorry if i made controversy on your result. Surely it is allowed as rules state nothing. Nice run! " It's ok. Unfortunately, on purpose or not, the whole thing "undermines" a message or confuses things in a negative way towards me and Phil. Personally, I would appreciate if you had come and asked via a fb pm about it. It only confuses things even more if someones considers that the moment this was posted, we have been chatting about other hw/benching related stuff.

• Administrators

This discussion is weird, I just got a link on this. You pull the cable, you are cheating, and if you are unable to read the rules thatstate the rendered image has to be visible you are not very clever. When you then publicly make a big fuss what a super cheater you are by publsishing stuff like this, you have to live with some feedback you might not like. I saw lots of results at my time as mod and on some you could see irregularities, but the main problem is grey zone at fps. So, to make it short, yes, some people killed this benchmark

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, websmile said:

This discussion is weird, I just got a link on this. You pull the cable, you are cheating, and if you are unable to read the rules thatstate the rendered image has to be visible you are not very clever. When you then publicly make a big fuss what a super cheater you are by publsishing stuff like this, you have to live with some feedback you might not like. I saw lots of results at my time as mod and on some you could see irregularities, but the main problem is grey zone at fps. So, to make it short, yes, some people killed this benchmark

Thank you for clearing any confusion. It's a shame it's really hard to detect on faster hw, but at least should be fairly apparent on older/slower hw where this would be less of a cpu bench than it is now.