HWBOT Community Forums

The official Old School is Best School Season 4 Round 3 thread

TASOS

4 hours ago, TAGG said:

Does that mean i have to crack my Athlon 800 open because there is the chance that it has a orion core and I cheated without knowing???

Two totally different scenarios. 

1) You don't open the case, so you couldn't possibly know what core you have. You are going by what's written on the case. 

2) You open the case and physically see a different core, but still use what's written on the case, knowing it's that it's being 'less than forthcoming' with the truth.

Speaking frankly now, to all of you:

The Old School comp is mostly attended by the same people every single time. We are a very small elite group if you will. We all basically know each other or at least know who each other is and their quality of character.  

Please don't escalate this any further. It's not necessary. 

I would hate to not have this comp over something stupid.

Edited by Mr.Scott
  • Like 3

I clearly made my point here in this thread.

All old-timers know what i was talking about (no need to hide behind our finger).

I have nothing more to add.

I stand strong behind everything i wrote till now.

Some people are fair all the way ... some are not.

Sad but true ... honesty is something , you cant buy.

• Thanks 2

There is no Orion die, there is a Pluto which is identical to the previous one. Orion is purely a marketing name for models 900-1000 MHz, so Pluto=Orion, so => there is no difference in silicon.

Edited by max1024
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, max1024 said:

There is no Orion die, there is a Plot which is identical to the previous one. Orion is purely a marketing name for models 900-1000 MHz, so Pluto=Orion, so => there is no difference in silicon.

I agree with you. Pluto and Orion is a same core and no difference in silicon.

• Like 1

Last video I upload as confirmation of my results.
Made waza and spi in real time mode. I did not pull the ram well. Extender temperature +23, heatsink 33-34 as you see in video.
I do not do other videos either to waste time or to fight with my wife like tonight. Low efficiency because is the 3D OS.

Edited by GRIFF

10 hours ago, max1024 said:

There is no Orion die, there is a Pluto which is identical to the previous one. Orion is purely a marketing name for models 900-1000 MHz, so Pluto=Orion, so => there is no difference in silicon.

You mean , there is no difference , becides the 150 Mhz GAP , between them (which is a huge speed for that cpu generation) ?

10 hours ago, Gumanoid said:

I agree with you. Pluto and Orion is a same core and no difference in silicon.

Since you two both agree (three in fact , cause GRIFF "liked" your posts) , and of course you have valid proof to do so.

I am sure that you have hard evidence and industry spec sheets to back up what you are writing.

Do you ?

Except if ...

You think , that the silicon is the same , because AMD kept the same manufacturing process at 0.18 micron.

Do you think , that the manufacturer doesnt change it's silicon when they proceed to produce different core revisions ?

I assume you know , that in fact we had 3 core revisions , being A1 , A2 and A3 (that was never picked up correctly from software , cause of same cpuid of 622).

Do you really believe that the silicon remains the same ?

When A1 revision straggle to overcome the 850 limit (overclocked)

When A2 revision gets a factory speed of 850 and overclocks an other 100Mhz more

When A3 revision gets at factory speed of 1000 and overclocks an other 100Mhz

After what i wrote you , do you still believe that the silicon is the same ? ... and all different marks are just marketing names ???

Please allow me to have very good knowledge of the era and cpu specs , cause i lived it.

When i decided to put up this Round and pick the Argon and Pluto cores ... i knew exactly what to expect.

No fooling around.

Sad but true (once again written).

While most people like to walk in a straight line , there are a very-very few , that prefer to find their way around things.

Play dumb and by-pass.

I feel good with my self and i can sleep calm at night.

I did what i had to do.

Scott is not the only one that tells me to end this , cause it's better for all.

Others do so , also.

So this is my last post in this thread.

I wont "shut the door" to on going pm convertations , new or old ones though.

Cheers to all , and lets move to the next Round

?️

On 5/21/2018 at 8:02 PM, TASOS said:

When and if someone of the above trusted persons , verifies that your 800 Pluto , can run 1149 Mhz on Air (custom) , i will apologize to you in public.

1109 mhz with 11 degrees more outdoor temperature do not count?
I knew you did everything to not apologize and I got the confirmation. You also ignored the video, so waited for by you. Despite my cpu can do. I'm sorry to tell you but you're not speaking, not to say worse. Sin.

• Sad 1

If someone wants to tell me that I'm a cheater, I should at the same time apologize (What he did not do @Tasos, and that shows what a person he is). I have always been clean and I will continue to be so. Unfortunately I do not have any other Pluto cpu with die branded Pluto in order to try them over 1000mhz.

Edited by GRIFF

2 hours ago, TASOS said:

You think , that the silicon is the same , because AMD kept the same manufacturing process at 0.18 micron

No, not at all.

2 hours ago, TASOS said:

Since you two both agree (three in fact , cause GRIFF "liked" your posts) , and of course you have valid proof to do so.

GRIFF can "like" any posts and my opinion does not depend on it. it was enough for me to confirm the video to understand that he was not cheating.

2 hours ago, TASOS said:

I assume you know , that in fact we had 3 core revisions , being A1 , A2 and A3 (that was never picked up correctly from software , cause of same cpuid of 622).

Do you really believe that the silicon remains the same ?

Yes, why not? AMD sorted best processor cores at factory. I read old articles in those days and reviewers wrote about it. "Orion" core name is a marketing move to make products more attractive. There are many steppings of "Coppermine" core from сA2 to cD0. and of course there is a difference in overclocking possibilities, but it steel Coppermine core! But I've seen PIII 550MHz second cB0 stepping that can do 1GHz and higher on air! So why do you think a Pluto 800 can not do 1200MHz?

Edited by Gumanoid
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TASOS said:

Scott is not the only one that tells me to end this , cause it's better for all.

I wasn't speaking only to you.

Sometimes it's better to just walk away.

I sleep good at night also. :)

Knowledge is power.

Edited by Mr.Scott
  • Like 2

Great Scotty. You are the point of reference.
I'm sorry to have caused annoyance or other unpleasant feelings, I beg your pardon this. Unfortunately I could not shut up, in that case it could seem that I want to hide something.

I am no expert on this arch by any means, nor am I participating in this comp so if ya'll would like me to butt out I will. However it looks like you're saying that a new stepping is a different core. This is silly. If there was an k10 1st gen limited comp (an arch I know a bit more about) you'd be laughed out if you tried to complain that a phenom 9650 was destroying your 9600, "Not only does it clock higher it seems to have 30% more ipc". Yet less than that is being done here and taken seriously.

Edited by yosarianilives

• Crew

All I can say is that its really really hard to reach that 1200Mhz. Even if it would be an Orion, it still would be a remarkable result. You need decent cache, a decent core and a motherboard that can reach those frequencies. AFAIK those boards had really big probs to reach 1Ghz stable, so it would be nice if GRIFF could share his experience if he needed to make any mods.

Unfortunately no program, as far as I know, can tell us if its an Pluto or not. Its really bad situation again for us.

I really would like to reproduce those results but Im not sure I find the time.

Please watch all my videos and photos posted, and you will get all the answers.

Before this competition:
- WR of frequency of the Pentium MMX was 360mhz now 375mhz
of the Mendocino was 853mhz now 940mhz.

I am simply well prepared for this competition.

PS: I can also redo my scores but I steal time to dedicate to round in progress.

2 hours ago, Strunkenbold said:

AFAIK those boards had really big probs to reach 1Ghz stable, so it would be nice if GRIFF could share his experience if he needed to make any mods.

If you see the competition result Mr.Scott made 998mhz on air.

I only did Vcore mod on the motherboard, but for me for 120mhz fsb motherboards with VIA chipset not needed any modifications. Furthermore my board did not have timing CL2 into bios.

Edited by GRIFF

If I repeat my result at the spi 1m with SS, we end this discussion? I'll give you a video from the mounting of the cpu at the shutdown. OK?

If you need more proof: welcome to Italy in my lab))))))

Edited by GRIFF

1 hour ago, GRIFF said:

If you see the competition result Mr.Scott made 998mhz on air.

I only did Vcore mod on the motherboard, but for me for 120mhz fsb motherboards with VIA chipset not needed any modifications. Furthermore my board did not have timing CL2 into bios.

I can validate that same CPU at 1030 on air.

• Thanks 1